If the devs implement mutators, what kind would you want?

Brainstorming session.

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Aaron_Lloyd

If the devs implement mutators, what kind would you want?

Post by Aaron_Lloyd »

If the devs implement game mutators, like has been discussed in the past, what mutators would you want to see?

For me:

Unholy Alliance - All technology from each side, perhaps keeping faction specific units to those who choose that specific faction. So if Unholy alliance was on and you played Ukraine. You'd get all the standard Soviet and Allied tech as well as the demo trucks and parabombs, but not the chrono tank or tesla troopers/tanks for example.

Shared Cash - All players on a team share a single cash pot, as already implemented in a couple custom rule maps.

Player Swap - All players on a team swap with eachother in a given amount of time (3 min or 5 min or 8 min maybe), also already implemented in a few custom maps.

Unlimited Superweapons - Pretty self-explanatory, would allow you to build multiple super weapons each with their own countdown. Already implemented on a bunch of tox maps.Could also allow for multiple Tanyas maybe.

What other ones would people potentially want to see?

Hecthor Doomhammer

Post by Hecthor Doomhammer »

Tech War:
Kind of like Unholy Alliance, but then limited to the faction, that you get all tech from the given faction (Ukr + Rus, UK + Fr + Ger) at your disposal

MustaphaTR

Post by MustaphaTR »

I would call those, gamemodes. As in Red Alert 2. OpenRA indeed needs such system, also ability to select more than 1 of them could be nice but some may conflict.

I'm not sure how hard would it be to implement, it sounds easy to me actually. A new folder of Gamemodes under mod folder which includes yaml rule (and lua) files that is used. Gamemodes itself can be defined in mod.yaml. So when we select a gamemode game reads an (or maybe multipile) additional .yaml file.

And yes examples, i would love to see Crate War mode but https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/10180 would be way better.

Replacing Infantry Only tech level with a gamemode would be good, same can go with no SW. Tech levels can be replaced with proper number levels.

Naval only, or Vehicles only could be cool too.

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

I never expected https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/9422 getting a topic.
AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

Shared cash :D Sounds intriguing! Seen it work with the player swap on certain custom maps but the idea alone inspires the imagination.

zinc

Post by zinc »

SoScared wrote: Shared cash :D Sounds intriguing! Seen it work with the player swap on certain custom maps but the idea alone inspires the imagination.
Folks can already lose it with team mates... I can see this causing some issues.

zinc

Post by zinc »

I think an option for removing artie and v2 would be good, as some people complain about that style of game.

I would be interested in seeing whether longer range base defence weapons could work. The long range naval weapons could maybe be adapted for it.

zinc

Post by zinc »

Also maybe an option for extra units not in the original game-- the best of whatever anyone creates could be included like the flame helicopters that were in a couple of maps.

zinc

Post by zinc »

Also maybe an option for extra units not in the original game-- the best of whatever anyone creates could be included like the flame helicopters that were in a couple of maps.

lucassss

Post by lucassss »

Maybe instead of a hardcoded list of mutators, mutators should be zip files containing yaml and lua patches that can be selected just like maps from the resource center. This would allow people to create new mutators when needed.

jaymanxyz

Post by jaymanxyz »

Bighead mode? :)

Materianer

Post by Materianer »

zinc wrote: I think an option for removing artie and v2 would be good, as some people complain about that style of game.

I would be interested in seeing whether longer range base defence weapons could work. The long range naval weapons could maybe be adapted for it.
There is already a no arty/v2 Map and its really easy to do this for your own.
http://resource.openra.net/maps/6971/
People often like playing such special rules you can see as how famous this Vodka Only map is.
Just create a map with special rules and peoples may love it, good luck :D
jaymanxyz wrote: Bighead mode? :)
This is also possible if your good at creating maps :D

zypres

Create your own

Post by zypres »

I'd rather want ppl to make their own, but make it so it can show up on lobby.

mutators:
-Shared cash - on
-Shared unit-control -on
-no long range weapons -on

MAPCUSTOM
-destroy trees -on
-Winter (snow hurt inf like tiberium) -OFF
-ICE=noships, inf can walk on water -ON
-Xmas sounds -ON

It's always better to let the modders do creative things for their maps...

Aaron_Lloyd

Re: Create your own

Post by Aaron_Lloyd »

zypres wrote: I'd rather want ppl to make their own, but make it so it can show up on lobby..
Yah I think you could have something like Lucass idea and then have the mutators hosted on the resource centre so that people could just install them before the game.

drogoganor

Post by drogoganor »

One silo - Ore silos have a huge capacity. Just one should be enough.

Manhattan Project - Building more nuke silos decreases production time of nukes

Tough walls - Concrete walls are much harder to destroy

Watch your step - Atomic landmines

Sprawling Base - Max build distance from conyard is doubled