TD Music

Is it possible to remove certain music tracks?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Alex

TD Music

Post by Alex »

Hello there OpenRA forums :)

Firstly I just have to say how much I love this game; I've been a huge fan of C&C since the very first games and have played all of them on and off throughout the years ever since. You've done an amazing job with the new engine, it's extremely authentic and it makes me very happy, and being a long time DTA player it's really nice playing an updated engine without the limitations of TS.

Anyway, I really have to ask if it's possible for me to somehow edit the game files to remove certain audio tracks. I had Red Alert and the TD equivalent on the PlayStation, so there are numerous tracks present in OpenRA which weren't present on the console and aren't nostalgic for me, which I actually hate, such as 'Reaching Out'. To me this doesn't fit the game at all, and I honestly can't stand it, I have to skip it whenever it comes on, along with a few others. Would this be a simple matter to do?

Thanks for any advice :)

Also just as a point of interest, would there be any chance of seeing some of the other music variants? I'm mainly interested in the tracks which had more of a vocal component on the console. I understand these were re-released on the PC in an update as there were some complaints about the vocals interrupting gameplay, but they are super nostalgic for me and I really miss them, even DTA hasn't added them in yet.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

You can open mods/cnc/audio/music.yaml with a text editor and comment out or remove the tracks that you don't want to play. Note that this might break any campaign maps that explicitly try to play those tracks.

The next release will have an improved content installer that will make it easier to install the additional expansion music for RA and TD.

Alex

Post by Alex »

Ah that's brilliant, thanks very much. Fortunately I've played all the current campaign maps, so I'll keep a backup for future mission additions.