Original Doubles back in official maps?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.

Should the original "Doubles" map be an official map again?

Yes
37%
No
63%

Total votes: 19

zinc

Original Doubles back in official maps?

Post by zinc »

SoScared wrote: If there's a popular opinion on reinstating the original Doubles I'd fully support it off course. Also despite being very active around the map pool process the past months I'm in no position to allow or deny any changes to the map pool. I'm simply an enthusiast.

I'd be more comfortable backing a reverse with more active requests by players and some numbers backing it up.

I for one want to see the original Doubles back as an official map. Maybe call it "Classic Doubles" or whatever.

zinc

Re: Original Doubles back in official maps?

Post by zinc »

Does anyone want to argue that the new version is a better map to play??

r34ch

Post by r34ch »

zinc wrote: Does anyone want to argue that the new version is a better map to play??
If anyone is curious as to why the map was changed.

PizzaAtomica

Post by PizzaAtomica »

I voted yes because I like to see popular asymmetric maps, and I didn't really feel the original was imbalanced, but after reading r34ch's link I have to agree the new one is a big improvement.

JOo

Post by JOo »

title of this thread made me think "Doubles" got removed for no reason ... so i voted "Yes" get it back in ...

but as it actually got improved and should get switched with a newer version of it ... i say "No" dont get back in the Original ...

so you can count one "Yes" for "No"

zinc

Post by zinc »

r34ch wrote:
zinc wrote: Does anyone want to argue that the new version is a better map to play??
If anyone is curious as to why the map was changed.

When playing (original) doubles, I'm not in practice worried about which side I'm on. I'm quite confident that if I have the better team players then very likely I will win and the different geography will likely make little difference. So firstly, I suspect what you are talking about are hypothetical advantages which may only come into play in certain games or only occasionally make a difference to the outcome. I'm not sure we should worry about that too much, if it's a fun map that's providing some nice games. Aren't you always/often going to risk balance doubts with non-symmetrical maps? When it does become an issue, is when repeatedly you could see one side use the geography in certain ways to normally win the game (assuming teams of equal-ish skill); but if that isn't happening I'm not so sure it's worth worrying about.

Also, it's always possible you may have overlooked certain advantages that the left-spawn side has. For example, let me suggest that the left-spawn has the best position to defend a naval base in the top sea. The left corner of it can be defended with tesla/aa/artie etc. That means that maybe the left-spawn side can rush tech and worry about naval later, knowing that they can "force it" if they have to. Another advantage is that the left-spawn side can move one MCV forward to middle and block off all entry to that side of the map by land. The right-spawn side appears to be more open if you just move one MCV forward, which may create opportunities for attack.

I would suggest that it may often be very difficult to calculate how important these differences are--what they all add up to--in terms of map balance.

And yeah, as I say, the original doubles is just a fun map to play. That's enough for me...

klaas

Post by klaas »

I'm all for asymmetric maps that are sort of balanced in their own particular way.

However, the old doubles looks mostly symmetric anyway, so why not make it perfectly balanced? I don't see the advantage of having an almost symmetric map in the official map pool. I do think the right hand side has an advantage on the original map btw.