Maps by the One and Only (ACM!)

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
ACM

Maps by the One and Only (ACM!)

Post by ACM »

...at least, I'll post maps here as I finish them.

The intention of this map was to subvert the typical powerhouse play of TD I am used to, with a Pirates & Emperors-inspired long-distance map that has a low-replenishment rate, and many nooks and crannies for abuse; positioning and army composition is king here. It was also a total pain to fine-tune where exactly I wanted all the cliffs and features to be. I never want to do it again, kill me.

I also hope you like the subtle ambient change. I intend to do it to some extent or another for all the maps I make.

My maps so far:

TD
Tyranny and Despair
(formerly First Brood)

Category: 1 vs 1
Modifications: Global lighting
Players: 2
Size: 80x80
Revision: 5 (2017-07-31)
Downloadlink: http://resource.openra.net/maps/22356/

Large image

===========================================================

TD
Pond Skirmish 2 (TD adaptation)

Size: 68x68
Revision: 3 (2017-05-15)
Downloadlink: http://resource.openra.net/maps/21274/

Large image

TD
Despair Part II

Modifications: Global lighting; Indestructible bridge tiles
Size: 80x80
Revision: 2 (2017-08-05)
Downloadlink: http://resource.openra.net/maps/22395/

Large image

RA
Apocalypse Now

Size: 106x96
Revision: 3 (2017-07-25)
Downloadlink: http://resource.openra.net/maps/22288/

Large image

Last edited by ACM on Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:00 am, edited 14 times in total.

Norman_

Post by Norman_ »

oh, its just acm :z - looks like a nice 1v1 map :P % tight and low tib

Marn

Post by Marn »

Daaaaaaaam that's a visually nice looking map! And I am a sucker for eye candy!
Would you be interested making a TS map sometime D: ?
Regardless, keep up the great job, it looks stunning!

ACM

Post by ACM »

Marn wrote: Would you be interested making a TS map sometime D: ?
I would be willing to give it a try. The map roster when playing your TS mod felt very wanting. Haven't touched Final Sun in over a decade though, so I don't know what it's like.

Marn

Post by Marn »

ACM wrote:
Marn wrote: Would you be interested making a TS map sometime D: ?
I would be willing to give it a try. The map roster when playing your TS mod felt very wanting. Haven't touched Final Sun in over a decade though, so I don't know what it's like.
It's the same as it's been for the past decade :)
It's up to you though, no rush.

ACM

Post by ACM »

Okay...so I fired up FinalSun today, and already I'm having my first problem: that is the preliminary test map I converted over to OpenRA can't stop crashing. In particular when I turn on Disable visibility checks or build a radar. It also doesn't want to be opened up in OpenRA's map editor.

All I did was make a blank map with nothing but two player starts on each corner, a tib tree next to them, and some objects for testing. And I made sure to turn off files outside of tibsun.mix. What am I doing wrong?

Also the objects I placed in FinalSun disappeared during the conversion. Is this normal?

And just another general question: is it safe to use Firestorm's assets? It's just something I noticed in the Command & Conquer scene that Firestorm doesn't get much love compared to stock Tiberian Sun. And here I don't see its assets used much in OpenRA either. Is that for a reason?

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

The map borders are converted wrongly atm. Leave a bigger margin in FinalSun.

No, the objects shouldn't disappear.

Firestorm content isn't part of the current OpenRA TS mod and unsure how will it get added.The reason modders usually "don't love" Firestorm is because the FS additional rules can easily confuse/conflict with modded default rules and thereby all the better modders start with copying everything Firestorm added back into the default game and not relying on the FS inis for these wacky antics.
AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

anjew

Post by anjew »

Looks a nice map. Little bit chokey but then again, arty isnt used much so this might encourage some artillery style play.
Graion Dilach wrote: Firestorm content isn't part of the current OpenRA TS mod and unsure how will it get added. antics.
Currently the Juggernaut for GDI has been incorporated into the Marn TS mod and I believe there is a github project (or possibly the bleed version) that uses the firestorm generator with working firestorm wall.

Marn

Post by Marn »

ACM wrote: Okay...so I fired up FinalSun today, and already I'm having my first problem: that is the preliminary test map I converted over to OpenRA can't stop crashing. In particular when I turn on Disable visibility checks or build a radar. It also doesn't want to be opened up in OpenRA's map editor.
Yeah that usually means that your bottom boarder is too close or overlaps with the end of the map entirely.
Open map .yaml and look at the following.
I'll break it down
In one of my maps I got the following...
MapSize: 120,320
And my boarders are...
Bounds: 2,5,117,310

The format is such.
First number (2) is the offset from the left edge of the map to the right. means you got a 2 cell boarder on the left.
Second number (5) is the offset from the top edge of the map towards the bottom, means your top boarder on the top will be 5 cells.
Third number (117) is the actual map width. (A derpy number which should be double in FinalSun 234)
Fourth number (310) is the map height.
What often happens when you export is the bottom boarder is too close to the edge of the map so you have to give it a gap. In my case that gap is 5 cells at the bottom, and 5 at the top which matters less. For some reason if the bottom boarder of the map doesn't have a gap of at least 4 cells is just crashes.
ACM wrote: Also the objects I placed in FinalSun disappeared during the conversion. Is this normal?
I would suggest dealing with objects in OpenRA editor, conversion can be iffy sometimes =p

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

anjew wrote: Currently the Juggernaut for GDI has been incorporated into the Marn TS mod and I believe there is a github project (or possibly the bleed version) that uses the firestorm generator with working firestorm wall.
Marn added the Juggernaut on his own. The Firestorm Generator didn't debuted in Firestorm, actually. What Firestorm added to the factions were the Mobile War Factories, Juggernaut, Limpet Drone, Drop Pods, Mobile EMP and the Cyborg Reaper.
AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

jaZz_KCS

Post by jaZz_KCS »

Graion Dilach wrote:
anjew wrote: Currently the Juggernaut for GDI has been incorporated into the Marn TS mod and I believe there is a github project (or possibly the bleed version) that uses the firestorm generator with working firestorm wall.
Marn added the Juggernaut on his own. The Firestorm Generator didn't debuted in Firestorm, actually. What Firestorm added to the factions were the Mobile War Factories, Juggernaut, Limpet Drone, Drop Pods, Mobile EMP and the Cyborg Reaper.
Yes, interestingly enough the Firestorm Gen debuted in GDI vanilla campaign mission 6 or 7 already. I think it was the Hammerfest Base.

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

Saturday im going to host the map on my server to spread it about :D

ACM

Post by ACM »

AoAGeneral1 wrote: Saturday im going to host the map on my server to spread it about :D
Awesome dude. Now if only my connection could stop puttering, I would actually be able to participate. :dead:
anjew wrote: Looks a nice map. Little bit chokey but then again, arty isnt used much so this might encourage some artillery style play.
Ahaha...you think it's chokey now? You have no idea how much I had to hold myself back from just placing down more and more scenery. I could have kept going. In the end I measured every passageway to have at least the amount of free cells width I wanted to roam along their entire routes, and stress tested their capacities.

So I am in my process of my Tiberian Sun map port, and converting stock Tiberian Sun to OpenRA is giving me a lot of headaches, just by all the little differences as well as things missing from OpenRA; for example, Tiberium here apparently doesn't like gradients. :stressed: Little things like this set back my map design potential.

Marn

Post by Marn »

ACM wrote: So I am in my process of my Tiberian Sun map port, and converting stock Tiberian Sun to OpenRA is giving me a lot of headaches, just by all the little differences as well as things missing from OpenRA; for example, Tiberium here apparently doesn't like gradients. :stressed: Little things like this set back my map design potential.
That's why I use FinalSun only for terrain, and the rest I finish up in openra editor =p

ACM

Post by ACM »

First map revision is out, losers:
http://resource.openra.net/maps/15660/

Avoiding any fundamental changes for now. I'm just subtly scaling back much of the choke around the map, since that was a chief complaint, while further tightening other areas and erasing the excess.

Also gave the map a better title. Pray tell, this may not be the last time.

I'll be away for the next week or so. So please if you have your own time, give it a whirl and tell me if it did enough to fix it, why don't you.