Tank700 sucks

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
pulse

Tank700 sucks

Post by pulse »

Thanks for changing everything about the game overnight without notice

I already uninstalled, this is bullshit

klaas

Post by klaas »

Which game and what is tank700?

pulse

Post by pulse »

It's a mod for TD that screws up the gameplay by having the MCV cost 4000 and require a repair pad, plus some minor changes that are also useless in my opinion. I hate this mod but apparently this is now the game

Worst idea ever, the game was perfect as it was

Bye I guess

anjew

Post by anjew »

I'm glad you have decided to take an interest in the balance. Perhaps if you had been on the forum any time in the last 5 months you would be able to see the original post in the TD balance thread where this was discussed by multiple players. Or maybe played on one of the many psydev balance maps with the suffix "tank700"(which you obviously have) and given feedback about how you feel.

The balance requires more skill from players in managing their eco and not rolling over the top of their enemy like in the previous release. So i can understand your frustration over losing

pulse

Post by pulse »

My feedback is that it sucks

anjew

Post by anjew »

Awesome, just mail that to 5 months ago when i would give a fuck

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Ok, the both of you have been frank about what you think about the changes.

Now that it has been adjusted in the playtest: how is it working out? (please note that I am a noob when it comes to TD and please answer without sarcasm)

Imo when apparantly it is to expensive make it, like, 3800 in the release. With the idea that this maybe too expensive (as Pulse finds) but making it more expensive was a good idea by someone (as Anjew explains).
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

pulse

Post by pulse »

What it does is it turns a dynamic and expansion-based game into a static, tower defense game. I played a number of Tank700 matches and I absolutely hate the gameplay it brings to table. I'm sorry to the developers, I'm sure you put a lot of work into it but I feel it should remain a mapmod and nothing more. I loved the gameplay before this, it was unpredictable and dynamic. With the latest release I'm basically forced to play it for every match and I find this unacceptable. Tank700 ruins everything for me, sorry.

It's true that I was not following the forums much but I certainly expressed my opinion clearly in-game. I'm not sure it would matter anyway

I don't want to bore you with my whining any further

ACM

Post by ACM »

Meh. Leading up to the finals of the Tiberium Dawn 1v1 League I found my game winning strategy to be very predictable and thus demoralising. The snowball effectiveness of having enough MCVs out to let you near insta-place a handful of defenses anywhere in response to any threat in particular proved nigh-unstoppable, and the hiked cost of MCVs should make reaching such a tipping point in dominance that much harder.

lucassss

Post by lucassss »

I haven't played much TD, but wouldn't the best solution in this case would be to have a cheaper semi-MCV which can only be used as an expansion point and not as a constructor? Thus still allowing rapid expansion, but preventing insta-defense

pulse

Post by pulse »

@ACM We're all entitled to opinion. Mine is that this is a terrible update for TD. Perhaps the balance changes made 1v1 matches slightly more tight in principle, but at the same time they completely washed out the dynamics of 2v2 and 3v3 matches.

It's like if I was in a Quake community and one day the rocket launcher reload time would double for balance reasons. I would be just as pissed

Drastic balance changes are never a good thing, especially when the state of the game actually works and works well. If you're going to do balance changes then do them gradually and ask for feedback every step of the way. For me it's now 10 times worse, these changes just lead to increasingly boring and static games. I'm sure I won't convince anyone of doing any changes now that the update is actually out already, so it's easier if I just quit playing

Thanks for all the games

anjew

Post by anjew »

If you think building a repair pad is a drastic change then you must be delusional.

The only things that have changed to how the game plays out is its now its not a good idea to build an MCV when you have 1 airstrip/warfac and if you are Nod you are going to need more then light tanks to defeat a GDI player.

In the original release people would build an mcv as soon as they could and this was a winning strategy in teamgames and if done well 1v1 as well. This became the single strat that would win games. If you want to go back to your easy wins go for it, I think insert said he will make a nice modmap just for you, i think its a 1v1 map.

Now you have to actually be smart about how and when you choose to expand.
AoA, ACM, PersianImmortal, psydev, to some degree Norman and I have contributed to the discussion regarding this balance update. Your attitude is not appreciated, especially by me. Perhaps if you could convey what you actually hate rather than comparing minute changes to altering a core weapon in a completely different game. Or maybe if played for longer than the few hours the version had been released

Ironically, while you are entitled to your opinion, so is everyone else in the world and just because you have a different one, it doesnt make yours even close to right. In fact, I'd trust Normans word over yours regarding balancing after you pulled this childish shit. Maybe if you played the release longer than the few hours it was out, rather than making an emotive and completely unhelpful thread.

TL;DR LOVE IT or LEAVE IT
(or contribute)

ACM

Post by ACM »

pulse wrote: Perhaps the balance changes made 1v1 matches slightly more tight in principle...
What I said applies to team games as well; perhaps even more so. What I found in typical 3 vs 3s, particularly on your maps is that I never had to do anything for my team but smother the map with mini-bases and defences; "capturing points" until we could just spam the opponent to death with our superior resources. I should have clarified that.

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

The changes made are from 5 months of gameplay in the playtest and doing a series of tests with several players before it was even made into a playtest to begin with.

This change accounted for both 1v1 and team games. Where a player can easily score a two airstrip build and out power house the GDI player even if he makes nothing but mammoth tanks and E3. The light tanks were to strong in numbers and extremely cheap.

The MCV cost was increased because as ACM mentioned rapid defense structure placements. (Which btw was a bigger problem in team games due to several players starting with an MCV.) To which in team games made light tank builds all that more powerfull.

From your description I would test doing other strategies rather then relying on tanks and MCV builds only. This is a different game then from RA.

Otherwise, would have loved to have your feedback in the TD Balance thread. If you would like send me your replays on your games with the new changes and I will have a look at them. Perhaps its a build order problem?

Otherwise post your balance ideas here: http://www.sleipnirstuff.com/forum/view ... 977#295977

lazygecko

Post by lazygecko »

The real tragedy here is that you can no longer force use enemy refineries and repair pads.