Suggestions for RA

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Kencka_Plus

Suggestions for RA

Post by Kencka_Plus »

So I'm creating this thread to propose some changes to the RA mod.
If this is not the best place to do this, then please tell me where it is.

1. V2s should have at least the same but possibly more range than artillery
It makes sense, and it would grant soviets better capabilities to deal with artillery.

2. Some (light) vehicles shouldn't be able to cross sandbag/fence walls
Again it makes sense, but would also make those structures more useful.

3. Money should be restricted by money cap from all sources of income
I thinks it's a matter of consistency. Right now I think it's very confusing.

4. Visual feedback for showing players their own current money limit
It would be convenient to know this without having to click the refineries.

5. Excess money should generate periodic interest in a way similar to oil derricks
It gives more importance to money and economy and makes spies more interesting.

6. An authentication system to be used by those who would like to use it.
It helps verifying people and collecting statistics. I recommend using OpenID.

Some things I know have already been proposed, that I would like to support:

7. Migs should have air-to-air capabilities
Migs should have it just like longbows do.

8. Mammoth tanks should be able to cross concrete walls
The way concrete wall counters mammoth tanks is ridiculous.

9. Explored map turn on by default (shroud turned off by default)
Shroud is too much of an annoyance for those who don't want to play with it.

Thanks for listening. Love this game.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

This thread was created for balance changes.

1. Personally i'd prefer a range change to artillery, making it lower. Large ranges just encourage players to sit in their base killing off anything that comes near rather than going out and engaging.

2. Flak trucks, rangers, supply trucks, demo trucks, radar jammers and probably mobile gap generators cannot cross fences.

3. You shouldn't be hitting the resource cap in the first place, You should be trying to spend as many resources as you can, not hoarding them :)

4. See 3

5. Its a nice idea and could provide a pretty awesome mechanic in an original game but it seems to deviate quite a bit from current RA.

6. Lots of talk about this, i support it but someone would need to put it in place.

7. Been discussed lots in the thread i linked. Although it doesn't make much sense because the longbow is really just the allies version of the flak truck (i.e. soviets get better ground AA and allies get air AA).

8. They do in the next release :)

9. I'd like this too but so many have played the game with this setting for so long that it would be difficult convincing devs to change it.

Im glad you love the game :)

Kencka_Plus

Post by Kencka_Plus »

Murto the Ray wrote: 2. Flak trucks, rangers, supply trucks, demo trucks, radar jammers and probably mobile gap generators cannot cross fences.
Wow. I really thought it wasn't working like that. My bad.
Murto the Ray wrote: 3. You shouldn't be hitting the resource cap in the first place, You should be trying to spend as many resources as you can, not hoarding them :)
I know that currently there is not much benefit from hoarding money.
I'm just saying maybe there should be some incentive for doing it.
Murto the Ray wrote: 5. Its a nice idea and could provide a pretty awesome mechanic in an original game but it seems to deviate quite a bit from current RA.
It would deviate a little, but there were other changes like that in this game.
This would give utility to an original structure that is never used, the silos.
Murto the Ray wrote: 7. Been discussed lots in the thread i linked. Although it doesn't make much sense because the longbow is really just the allies version of the flak truck (i.e. soviets get better ground AA and allies get air AA).
Well. This is a valid opinion.
Murto the Ray wrote: 9. I'd like this too but so many have played the game with this setting for so long that it would be difficult convincing devs to change it.
Then I think we will just have to keep proposing it. ( ;

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

#5: Excess money should generate periodic interest in a way similar to oil derricks
It gives more importance to money and economy and makes spies more interesting.

Actually I like this idea. I might need to play around with this but do something different instead. IE:

Producing a silo allows one to generate income based on the amount of income one has in their bank.

This also enables Silos as a high target item because if you have excess money over the refinery you could risk losing it.

Possible mechanic:

Silo empty = generates no income. (Even if the refinery has income on it)

Silo holding money = generates an income amount based on how much income is stored on the silo.

This also could provide some interesting mechanics for the supply trucks of trading between players?

EDIT:

Mentioned in IIRC this is a trick that would be hard to implement.

jaZz_KCS

Post by jaZz_KCS »

Sounds very hard to implement, albeit worth it. Turning the silo into a derrick making it produce revenue according to the amount of ore stores sounds like an awesome idea.

Aaron_Lloyd

Post by Aaron_Lloyd »

Crazy thought, what about giving the Allies the grenadiers instead of the Soviets?

Hear me out, the only real use for the grens is for rushing your enemy's base and taking down a couple buildings real fast. They're wasted for that on the Soviets because if you are going to try to pick off buildings you are way better off using flamers. As a result of that we now almost never see grenadiers used.

If we are looking to balance things we could also maybe give the Soviets the mechanic unit in exchange.

Thoughts?

jaZz_KCS

Post by jaZz_KCS »

Aaron_Lloyd wrote: Crazy thought, what about giving the Allies the grenadiers instead of the Soviets?

Hear me out, the only real use for the grens is for rushing your enemy's base and taking down a couple buildings real fast. They're wasted for that on the Soviets because if you are going to try to pick off buildings you are way better off using flamers. As a result of that we now almost never see grenadiers used.

If we are looking to balance things we could also maybe give the Soviets the mechanic unit in exchange.

Thoughts?

A good idea, albeit giving the mechanic to the Soviets in exchange would defeat one of their main purposes which is to be able to capture heavy tanks as allies.