Red Alert - Just a few questions and comments

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
fir3w0rx

Red Alert - Just a few questions and comments

Post by fir3w0rx »

I apologize if some (or maybe all) of these may have already been mentioned.

1. Is there a way to save your last skirmish settings? It's kinda annoying having to set my faction, explored map, fog of war, no crates, speed, etc etc., for every match.
2. With fog of war ON, when your unit dies, the fog instantly covers where your unit was. I think that part of the map should still be revealed for a little while after your unit dies, at least 1 second, just enough time to see what killed it.
3. How come when I'm ALREADY low on power, I can't power down any buildings?
4. Sometimes when the ore patch has been depleted, ore trucks just stop and remain stationary instead of of looking for another patch to harvest.
5. In replay mode, sometimes when I set it to MAX speed, it freezes.
6. if 2 dogs are fighting and both are in attack mode, they'll just jump around each other while growling.
7. Minelayers can't lay mines by just pressing 'd', you have to click on them.
8. which forum is the official one; this or the one at GameReplays.org?

AI (computer)...
==
9. ...doesn't capture oil derricks
10. ...when it's low on power, it doesn't always build a power plant straight away
11. Is it possible to make the AI place refineries as close to the ore as possible? At the moment the AI places refineries randomly, sometimes too far away making it's income really slow.

Sleipnir

Re: Red Alert - Just a few questions and comments

Post by Sleipnir »

fir3w0rx wrote: 1. Is there a way to save your last skirmish settings? It's kinda annoying having to set my faction, explored map, fog of war, no crates, speed, etc etc., for every match.
Not yet. Supporting this depends on first fixing some low-level limitations in the engine. A big focus of mine since the last release has been fixing those limitations, but its probably going to take another release or two until I can get to fixing this issue specifically.
fir3w0rx wrote: 2. With fog of war ON, when your unit dies, the fog instantly covers where your unit was. I think that part of the map should still be revealed for a little while after your unit dies, at least 1 second, just enough time to see what killed it.
We have a ticket for this: #7916.
fir3w0rx wrote: 3. How come when I'm ALREADY low on power, I can't power down any buildings?
The power-down feature in RA is rather lame, and there's only a few buildings that can be powered down (power state doesn't matter here).
fir3w0rx wrote: 4. Sometimes when the ore patch has been depleted, ore trucks just stop and remain stationary instead of of looking for another patch to harvest.
There is a range limit (set to 15 cells in the RA mod) for how far away it will look, partly for performance reasons but mainly to stop your harvesters from running into enemy territory.
fir3w0rx wrote: 5. In replay mode, sometimes when I set it to MAX speed, it freezes.
Not sure about this one, there is a known bug in the current release (fixed for the next one) where replays could freeze when a player drops.
fir3w0rx wrote: 6. if 2 dogs are fighting and both are in attack mode, they'll just jump around each other while growling.
The OpenRA dog logic is almost completely bogus, but theres no developer interest in fixing it. There's a generic ticket for it at #7506, which will hopefully be fixed one day.
fir3w0rx wrote: 7. Minelayers can't lay mines by just pressing 'd', you have to click on them.
Good catch. You may want to file a ticket for this. Note that the most efficient way of using the minelayer is to force-target the ground to drag a minefield.
fir3w0rx wrote: 8. which forum is the official one; this or the one at GameReplays.org?
This one.
fir3w0rx wrote: AI (computer)...
==
9. ...doesn't capture oil derricks
10. ...when it's low on power, it doesn't always build a power plant straight away
11. Is it possible to make the AI place refineries as close to the ore as possible? At the moment the AI places refineries randomly, sometimes too far away making it's income really slow.
Unfortunately the AI is effectively unmaintained – we try to make sure it doesn't break any further, but don't have any developer manpower to give it the overhaul that it desperately needs. Hopefully one day somebody will come along who wants to work on it.

fir3w0rx

Post by fir3w0rx »

Ok, thanks. Fortunately these things don't really affect the game too much. I can live with it.

fir3w0rx

Post by fir3w0rx »

1. Sometimes when I load up Tiberian Dawn or Dune 2k, there's a slight delay/lag with the mouse cursor. Does anyone else experience this?
2. 'Jump to last radar event': I have this hotkey set to 'Space' which is the default, but when EVA (or whoever) says 'Unit lost' then I quickly press the space-bar, the camera doesn't go where I just lost my unit. What exactly are 'radar events'?
3. In TD, when you select your base defense (guard tower, turret or advanced guard tower) 2 circles appear around them. Obviously it's got something to do with their range of fire, but what exactly does each circle mean?
4. What is a 'Pull Request'? (In OpenRA's GitHub page)

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

fir3w0rx wrote: 1. Sometimes when I load up Tiberian Dawn or Dune 2k, there's a slight delay/lag with the mouse cursor. Does anyone else experience this?
I'm just guessing here, but probably the laggy mouse is due to hardware cursors falling back to software ones - which sometimes happen but noone knows why.
fir3w0rx wrote: 2. 'Jump to last radar event': I have this hotkey set to 'Space' which is the default, but when EVA (or whoever) says 'Unit lost' then I quickly press the space-bar, the camera doesn't go where I just lost my unit. What exactly are 'radar events'?
Unit lost doesn't trigger but AFAIK everything else in RA2 should trigger it, yes.
fir3w0rx wrote: 3. In TD, when you select your base defense (guard tower, turret or advanced guard tower) 2 circles appear around them. Obviously it's got something to do with their range of fire, but what exactly does each circle mean?
The smaller one isn't weapon range, but stealth detection range. The bigger one is weapon range.
fir3w0rx wrote: 4. What is a 'Pull Request'? (In OpenRA's GitHub page)
Patch.
AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

fir3w0rx

Post by fir3w0rx »

Cool, thanks.

fir3w0rx

Post by fir3w0rx »

Graion Dilach wrote:
fir3w0rx wrote: 4. What is a 'Pull Request'? (In OpenRA's GitHub page)
Patch.
Do we have to create our OWN patch to hopefully be approved for the game, or can we simply request for somebody to create it?

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

Depends.

If you're a player who reported an issue - your responsibilities probably end with opening an issue.
If you intend to send a balance patch, then usually all hell goes loose, so participate in the residual balancing topics instead.
If you intend to request a feature (due to being a modder, I dunno what features would ordinary players request by now) then first you request the feature in an issue again, but it's likely you have to code it on your own in which case, you have to submit your own patch. Unless it turns out to be cool enough to get others interested.
AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

Here's a thread posted some time ago, players sharing their 'top 3 features' wishlist':
http://www.sleipnirstuff.com/forum/view ... highlight=