Red Alert Global League - Public Registration - Closed

SEASON 1, 2016

Announcements and discussion about community-run events.
SoScared

Red Alert Global League - Public Registration - Closed

Post by SoScared »

[align=center]Image[/align]

[align=center]Public Registration - Closed[/align]
[align=center]March 21st - 30th[/align]

[align=center]Alse see: Announcement, Information, Seeding[/align]

Content
  • Registration
  • New, inexperienced players and registering at the bottom
  • Scheduling you matches

[align=center]Registration[/align]

Public registrations into the RA:GL is now open up until March 30th at 00:00 UTC. As stated in the information thread, all registrations must be done with an email sent to SoScared123@Gmail.com with an active email account. This is done to allow all participants to easily make contact with each other outside the common public forums such as Sleipnir's Forum and on #OpenRA on IRC. Players are off course free to make contact in whatever way that they wish but they will need to provide an active email address in order to ensure availability and to use it as a last means of making contact. Email addresses are also used to report results, match delays, failed contact etc. You'll find everything you need to know about this in the information thread. Internal email lists will be provided to the players within their respected divisions.

As for division placements after your registration it will follow the principle of first come, first served. The earlier registrations are placed in the best division available. The Global League will consist of divisions of 12 with the possibility of promotion, relegation and playing qualifiers in-between season. Already there's been a seeding process for participants in earlier competitions and players that has more or less had a long good standing within the community. This is to ensure the health of the league at it's conception. This also mean that from the get-go you will most likely find more experienced players in the higher divisions.

[align=center]New, inexperienced players and registering at the bottom[/align]

The majority of players that considers joining up with the league might have some concerns regarding their skill level and the pressure of partaking in a competitive venue. If this is you then know that at a bare minimum you will help support a competitive structure that will allow for other players to participate and work towards promotion throughout the divisions. For the first time on OpenRA, the community will have a way of tracking new up-and-coming players and perhaps even convert players from other games to join in and play OpenRA regularly. You will also have a way of playing consistently for a period of time, learning new ways to play the game, get to know more people and find out where you stand in relation to your co-participants. The only skill you'll ever need to participate in RAGL is consistency. Win or lose, no matter how good or bad, the only goal you ought to set before you, if you like to register, is to follow through with the season, and to know that you're supporting a format that seeks to grow and develop for years to come.

Additionally, there's an alternative way for players to register if they want to register right away but at the same time prefer to start out playing in the lowest division that the league will offer. As stated in the information post, registration is unlimited and new divisions will open to accommodate more numbers of players. When you register by email, add the request to register at the 'bottom', meaning you will be placed in the lowest division available. There's already similar requests by some of the community seeds, including some of OpenRA's developers that are not necessarily looking to play very competitive, so you can look forward to playing against some really friendly opponents in your division! Finally, there's no way to actually 'loose' in the league. You may end up last in your division but the worst thing that can happen to you is that you eventually will drop down a division for the next season, in which you can play against more soft opposition. It's all good!

[align=center]Scheduling you matches[/align]

The greatest obstacle for someone signing up for a competition is time and availability. The community around OpenRA stretches across the globe and the distribution of time zones wide, hence the name 'Global League'. Pegging matches down to a time and date to a potentially huge event would be impractical and in the end self-defeating to it's purpose, which in part is to grow over the course of seasons.

The league depends on the players' ability to initiate contact and schedule one match-up a week. This is also something that doesn't necessarily come easy to everyone as initiating contact with a stranger to play a match might feel unnatural or a bit intimidating. If this sounds like you, just remember you at least are doing this simply to participate rather than to seek a win for your divisions' table. Remember also that you do this both for yourself, your opponent and the health of your division and thus the health of the league in total! The future state of the Global League thus depends simply on your effort to initiate contact and schedule a match, likely with someone that are also a bit apprehensive on making contact with someone he/she doesn't know.

So, with that little motivational out of the way, it all simply boils down to this:
  • Contact your opponent at your earliest convenience, try making contact no later than Monday for your week's match-up.
  • Don't wait on being contacted.
  • Start your conversation by briefly informing on your availability
That's it! You'll have your game going in no time :)

For the various ways in that such a system of player initiated contact fails, there are outlined specific rules of engagement for different situations in the information thread in the topics below 'Registration'. You should also make yourself familiar with the rules and guidelines provided in that same thread to ensure yourself a smooth experience going through the season.

As for replays and for reporting results, there will be more information on this beyond what's shared in the information thread in the coming 'Divisions, schedules and scoreboard' thread posted to this forum March 31st.

[align=center]Register now![/align]

What are you waiting for? Just go ahead do it! :) Sign up today at SoScared123@Gmail.com. Also remember to provide the username you wish to use for the season.

Masters' Division (12 players)
  • American Blunt [Russia]
  • Anjew [Any]
  • Barf [Ukraine]
  • Declan [Russia]
  • FiveAces [Any]
  • Gatekeeper [England]
  • Klaas [Any]
  • Kyrylo [Any]
  • Medium Tank [Ukraine]
  • Murto The Ray [Russia]
  • Spy [Ukraine]
  • Zoidberg [England]
Masters' Division players can change their faction pick up until 30th of March.

Minions' Division (12 players)
  • Aaron Lloyd
  • Abcdefg30
  • Antares
  • Fahrrad
  • Hamb
  • Henry The Slav
  • Jayman
  • Kazu
  • MicroBit
  • NoobMapMaker
  • SoScared
  • Testosterone Rex
Recruit Division (12 players)
  • DasUltra
  • Fenix
  • Flecken
  • General-33
  • Germany
  • GoldenHippo
  • JReed
  • Killab
  • OzzyOuzo
  • T
  • Udderz
  • Han
Last edited by SoScared on Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:44 pm, edited 31 times in total.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Q: I'm going away from 25th of April until 8th of May. How do I adjust my matches to fix this? Play matches early?
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Also, I will add money to the prizepool (already spoke to SoScared but will send it after 26th)! In total $50:

*edit: SoScared may allocate the funds to his own judgement.

Edit 2: $10 is awarded to any player in any division who made an awesome comeback/revolutionary tactic/or whatever awesome play during a game. So don't give up when you're in the ropes, as it may give you this bonus. SoScared may decide which is this "play of the season".
Last edited by noobmapmaker on Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aaron_Lloyd

Post by Aaron_Lloyd »

Sign me up! I'm probably closer in skill to the players in the minion division than Spy and FiveAces, so I think the lower division is for me.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

Aaron_Lloyd wrote: Sign me up! I'm probably closer in skill to the players in the minion division than Spy and FiveAces, so I think the lower division is for me.
Email received, thread updated. Happy to have you on board!

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

noobmapmaker wrote: Q: I'm going away from 25th of April until 8th of May. How do I adjust my matches to fix this? Play matches early?
Forgot about this reply. In the info thread there's a topic on delay notices. Once the weekly match-up schedule is released on March 31st, you'll be able to send the delay notice to your opponents and to myself for those specific weeks. There's nothing from stopping you attempting to get those matches out of the way beforehand, that would be great! In general and according to the rules the delayed matches are played the first week after your period of vacancy.

jaymanxyz

Post by jaymanxyz »

I'm ready, sign me up! I think I will pick...the minion's division! :lol:

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

jaymanxyz wrote: I'm ready, sign me up! I think I will pick...the minion's division! :lol:
Email recieved and registered :)

All right folks, Masters' and Minions' has filled up! Time open up a 3rd division! I don't know what to call it yet. Suggestions?

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

I suggest Grandmasters;The names can be passed down:

Masters becomes Grandmasters
Minions becomes Masters
Empty division becomes Minions

I guess Newbie would come below minions but it already seems like Masters and Minions are at two completely different ends of the spectrum rather than one step away from each other.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

Murto the Ray wrote: I suggest Grandmasters;The names can be passed down:

Masters becomes Grandmasters
Minions becomes Masters
Empty division becomes Minions

I guess Newbie would come below minions but it already seems like Masters and Minions are at two completely different ends of the spectrum rather than one step away from each other.
That sounds like a great idea. I will have to wait for the next season before I change the names, Masters' and Minions' Division has been broadcasted to much to change them now.

I think I'll use 'Recruit Division' for the 3rd this time around.
Last edited by SoScared on Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

SoScared wrote: -Snip-
That makes sense :) ANy confusion should be avoided if possible.

viditpathak

Post by viditpathak »

I would like to join in Minions division

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

viditpathak wrote: I would like to join in Minions division
Minions' Division is stuffed :) There's a 3rd division Make sure you register with an active email in order to sign up - also make sure you've read the info thread ;)

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

7 players registered for the Recruit Division the past 24 hours!

Thanks for registering! :D

2 days of registrations left.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

That's going to be one of hell of a season! Awesome!