Ways to improve connection?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
noobmapmaker

Ways to improve connection?

Post by noobmapmaker »

Lately my connection sucks, I don't exactly know why and Im sure its not becuase of downloads as I dont have any running.

Can someone write an insghtfull piece on how to improve connection? Ofcourse Cable > WiFi and ofcourse a better Internet subscription with higher speeds helps and ofcourse Awesum computer > shitty laptop, but are there other things I can do?

E.g. stop antivirus? Kill processes? Ways to check what gobbles up the connection? etc.

Thanks!
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

Norman_

Post by Norman_ »

not sure how to improve your connection, i only know that the td mod is way faster than the ra mod. lagfree games. even with my shitty red ping connection its possible to play 1v1s and 2v2s without any lag and even 3v3s sometimes work good lol

so if you dont find a solution for your connection, maybe just give td a try, its worth it. ;)

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

Firstly, are you wired or wireless?

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

I've got Wireless and afraid that's not going to change any time soon. I've ran pretty smooth before on wireless though and the source is near my laptop. What I'm looking for is ways to better understand what is the bottleneck and what to do about it.

@Norman: Ive practised some TD for the tournament... and liked it! :) Yet RA is my fix mostly as that is what I used to play.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

Well the first thing you should check is that your wireless adapter isnt configured to be switched off to savepower. Then have a look at which channel your wifi is operating on and change i need be. Those are the main ways to resolve wifi problems (other than getting a wired connection) and can be googled pretty easily, which is why im not explaining how you should do them.

fir3w0rx

Re: Ways to improve connection?

Post by fir3w0rx »

noobmapmaker wrote: Lately my connection sucks...
What was changed lately?
-Running out of hdd space?
-auto updates installed a faulty new wifi driver?

Maybe your neighbour is stealing your wifi :D

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Did a quick google search, havent watched read them and havent tried the proposed measures (so I cant say if the info is actully good). But for any other users that may be interested:

How To Speed Up & Increase Your Internet Speed For Gaming In 5 Steps - No More Lag!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umud8PdmII0

How to reduce ping: improve online gaming
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/game/ ... y-3609346/

"Improving your connection for online gaming" by Kooper
http://shogungamer.com/forums/shogun-ga ... ing-kooper

How to Improve Ping in Games
http://www.softblogger.net/improve-ping-in-games/

5 Tips to Improve Your Wireless Connection
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/impro ... ection.htm

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

A lot of those links are the basics. "Get a better ISP." "Put your laptop next to the router" "Check your firewall"

While the other links ask the following:

Firmware of the router. Should it be upgraded to perhaps help with the connections?

How many is connected to the router?

Do you have a wireless repeater?

Try power cycling the router. (Switch off power for 2 minutes and switch back on)

Take into consideration of the following:

Are you hosting anything else on the laptop? (Servers, netflix, Steam, etc)

Of course also check the hard drive space allocated on the machine. I highly doubt its this but windows does update quite often.

Speaking of windows does your OS have compatibility with the wireless functions? (IE: Is the wireless connection a USB dongle and supported by windows version #x?)

If the wireless connection is a USB dongle it can serve as a bottle neck. Built in wireless on a laptop can outperform.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Will look into it, but such questions are easy for some, but complicated for me :) Not a hero when it comes to computers compared to you guys.

Canavusbis

Post by Canavusbis »

Remember: ping often matters less in OpenRA than tick resolution. Are you sure that your connection is the issue? You can have lagless games with orange or red ping and laggy games with all green ping.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Had a bunch of good games the las couple days. Even a 2v2 that lasted for an hour at least with massive armies - no issues at all.

What is tick resolution? Btw: when I had the lag I could play against 6 bots without any issues at all. As soon as I went on multiplayer it was a lagfest.