RA Current Balance Discussion

Give your thoughts and feedback!

Discussion about the game and its default mods.

How balanced do you think RA isat the moment?

Everything is very balanced!
45%
Soviets are underpowered!
32%
Allies are underpowered!
23%

Total votes: 31

newwe

Post by newwe »

IronScion wrote:
newwe wrote: Does force firing also do nothing?
I'm pretty sure the 'no' sign cursor doesn't allow you to force fire.
I'd recommend making a post on github. Frankly though, sonar pulse occurs so rarely that it might not be worth the time for you or the devs - I personally thought it had been taken out of the game, I've never done it and I don't think it's been done to me and I've played a ton of games.

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

IronScion wrote: I managed to get the spy into a sub pen in a 1v1 and aquired the sonar pulse but I'm a bit confused about it: you can see the subs but you can't actually attack them. The curser becomes a 'no' sign when you put it over the subs, and units in range don't react at all.

Do people think the subs should be attackable when the sonar pulse is activated?
Which version of the game? Apparently there are cloak-targeting issues in the playtest.
AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

IronScion

Post by IronScion »

This is in the current release, not the playtest.

I think sonar pulse feature might get used more if it made the subs visible and attackable. You could gather your units on the beach, activate the sonar pulse, and immediately rain steel down on the submerged subs.

anjew

Post by anjew »

it would be used a lot more if you had to make your sub pen next to the coast since you can just put it a tile away and avoid having the spy enter

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Spies that swim? @50% of their walking speed :D
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

IronScion

Post by IronScion »

Yes, I was thinking that people would do that with their sub pen if getting a spy in there became more common, therefore I propose being able to build a dinghy which one unit can enter, which could then sail to the sub pen.

LemurFromTheId

Post by LemurFromTheId »

It would be really nice if a spy could infiltrate sub pen / naval yard directly from a transport craft.

Post by guest »

anjew wrote: If you want to code the AI go ahead but until that day things need to be prioritized
fixes should come first before implementing new features! don't get ahead of yourselves either!

anjew

Post by anjew »

in my opinion currently the use of some vehicles (APC in RA + light tank in RA and TD) for the sole purpose of crushing is imbalanced. In a Soviet vs Soviet scenario there is no point teching up to heavy tanks as they cant take care of the APC's fast enough. And also using units this way is reminisce of what i considered the major problem with the original games balance. It turns into a game where its who ever can run over the others infantry more effectively.

Im not suggesting any nerfs to these HOWEVER I think a feature such as vehicles losing some of their move speed after crushing an infantry would fix this. Obviously this feature shouldnt be on heavy armour vehicles like the the medium or heavy tanks.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

I quite agree Anjew. It strikes a nerve although I can't put my finger on it. Lately we've been trying to crush alot as THE answer to infantry blobs (aside from arty).

Also it would be cool to have a live server with a testmod being operational. With that I mean people would play games with certain suggested things applied. E.g.: week 1: sub to air missiles and 50% move rate after crush, week 2: another user submitted change, week 3: etc

Also greetings from Syracusa :)
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

anjew wrote: in my opinion currently the use of some vehicles (APC in RA + light tank in RA and TD) for the sole purpose of crushing is imbalanced. In a Soviet vs Soviet scenario there is no point teching up to heavy tanks as they cant take care of the APC's fast enough. And also using units this way is reminisce of what i considered the major problem with the original games balance. It turns into a game where its who ever can run over the others infantry more effectively.

Im not suggesting any nerfs to these HOWEVER I think a feature such as vehicles losing some of their move speed after crushing an infantry would fix this. Obviously this feature shouldnt be on heavy armour vehicles like the the medium or heavy tanks.
YES!

First, big kudos for the power players to take full advantage of the APC infantry crush abilities. I believe Spy is the first to break the meta with his APC build.

Personally off course I'm a big fan of the medium and heavy tank and had my jaw drop when I saw my tank policy vs Soviet power players fly out the window :lol: I think Anjew's suggestion is a reasonable change. I wouldn't want to push this change for RA's Light tanks given their low damage against ...everything. I see the point with the TD's Light Tank but that would have to be taken in to consideration together with the TD Light Tank nerf in the latest playtest.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

I think the main problem with RA is sight. The fact that unit range is greater than unit sight, in most cases, means that battles are won by whoever has sight of the other army first. This wouldn't be such a big deal if units shot as soon as they were in range but it can be seen that infantry need to move into their tile space to be able to start firing. Also, units tend to get fired upon once they start moving into range rather than once they are in range meaning that the defending army gets a distinct advantage in not moving around.

Now, im not saying that defending armies shouldnt get an advantage but that the advantage should be in unit positioning rather than in the initilal damage due to sight.

TD, on the other hand, gives units a lot of sight and this means that armies can engage a lot more without as severe a disadvantage as in RA. TD also has a lot of other factors such as multiple production queues so this has a lot more to it.

APCs and other units used for crushing are so good because of this sight advantage that defending units have. crushing units are a great diversion for getting infantry into position and allows infantry to shoot the defending units from outside their vision range. Add in the crushing and time taken for infantry to recover from dodging a crush and suddenly throwing away APCs for crushing damage is worth it.

anjew

Post by anjew »

Usually a break in meta means someone found something OP. Thanks spy for finding it.

I also agree with murto but im unsure how to get around sight.

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

For the sight range in RA I would first test maximizing the sight range as far as they can shoot. Having Flak trucks shooting E3 because E3 can't see the flak is a bit silly IMO. E3 are the anti armor unit. Not the other way around. Several units in RA suffer this issue.

This will actually buff the infantry quite a bit but with my lack of knowledge in RA I would suggest testing first.

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

Crushing infantry slowing down crushers would need this trait shifted to upstream, however I will not be doing it. I'm still pissed at how you treated me last time when I wanted to help.
AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2