RA Current Balance Discussion

Give your thoughts and feedback!

Discussion about the game and its default mods.

How balanced do you think RA isat the moment?

Everything is very balanced!
45%
Soviets are underpowered!
32%
Allies are underpowered!
23%

Total votes: 31

anjew

Post by anjew »

SoScared wrote: The Chrono Tank (Germany) needs to be reviewed.
My suggestions (since they are meant to be a hit and run unit) reduce their health/armour and their price. I would choose not to make chrono tanks over medium tanks because of the time they take to build

kyrylo

Post by kyrylo »

Murto the Ray wrote:
kyrylo wrote: I like this idea, and it also requires a change to destroyers, so they could not attack subs. Destroyers - land/air damage. Gunboats - sea.
I agree although do you think there should be any price changes as a result of this?
It's hard to tell because it depends on how effective gunboats would be. They're currently cheap ($500) and crappy. I'd leave the price as is, but boosted damage. That said, if you move subs, IIRC, gunboats can never hit them (which probably isn't a problem because subs can't shoot while moving anyway).
Murto the Ray wrote:
epicelite wrote: One spy shouldn't completely disable you're entire power grid. Maybe like 30% of your power plants(at random) should go offline and not all of them?
Maybe some system where your power goes completely down and then with every 2 seconds 5% of it recovers until it is back at 100% would be better?

Power plants could have an invisible radius, so whenever a spy enters a PP, all other power plants in the area are also out of power. So placing power plants would also be a strategic element of the game. I do agree - at the moment if you let a spy infiltrate your PP you fall behind significantly.

That said, the % modifier also sounds good to me. It's just wrong that a $250 unit screws up your entire base, production, defence structures.

lazygecko

Post by lazygecko »

Is there anything more that can be done with the dogs? Although technically I guess it's moreso bugs holding them back than underpowered design. One of their biggest problem is how they tend to stack on top of eachother after attacking in groups.

lucassss

Post by lucassss »

I have a more radical idea for MAD tank. How about the following:

1) MAD tank doesn't explode, it just shakes the earth until it is undeployed
2) Earth shaking paralyses buildings (like engineer but without taking over them), also causing gradual damage.
3) Earth shaking disables defenses.
4) Earth shaking causes infantry to become prone.

Explanation for the new features:

1 - I think this unit should be different from the demo truck.
2 - I'm not sure about, but it fits with the original theme of the unit
3 - presents an interesting way to handle players who build too much defense (and can also combine with airplanes or v2).
4 - gives the soviets an additional way to handle infantary, which is something they currently lack.

Note that it is possible that giving all 4 properties to the MAD tank would make it too strong, so maybe a subset (1 and 4, 1 and 3, 3 and 4) is better.
Last edited by lucassss on Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

kyrylo

Post by kyrylo »

lucassss wrote: 1) MAD tank doesn't explode, it just shakes the earth until it is undeployed
2) Earth shaking paralyses buildings (like engineer but without taking over them), also causing gradual damage.
I love it! Great ideas man. Maybe you could also limit this to only 1 active MAD tank (similar to Tanya) because it's indeed pretty strong as described. But I like its role.

anjew

Post by anjew »

What about friendly fire for the MAD tanks?

lucassss

Post by lucassss »

In my suggestion I am assuming that activating a MAD will cause these effects to both your enemies and you.

Also, why no one is discussing radar jammer? I've barely seen people using it in games.

zinc

Post by zinc »

Also, flame turrets could be better against mass infrantry. They may already be better than a pillbox, but the thing is, is that allies have artie to counter large numbers of troops. Soviet V2 isn't as useful for that job. Soviet against Soviet is maybe too far in favour of tank / mass troop attack.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

lucassss wrote: I have a more radical idea for MAD tank. How about the following:

1) MAD tank doesn't explode, it just shakes the earth until it is undeployed

Explanation for the new features:

1 - I think this unit should be different from the demo truck.
2 - I'm not sure about, but it fits with the original theme of the unit
3 - presents an interesting way to handle players who build too much defense (and can also combine with airplanes or v2).
4 - gives the soviets an additional way to handle infantary, which is something they currently lack.

Note that it is possible that giving all 4 properties to the MAD tank would make it too strong, so maybe a subset (1 and 4, 1 and 3, 3 and 4) is better.
This is the most intriguing suggestion I've read on this forum for a while. This sounds like a MAD tank to me. I also like the idea of Soviet getting their own unique unit like Allied Tanya.

scorp

Post by scorp »

SoScared wrote: This is the most intriguing suggestion I've read on this forum for a while. This sounds like a MAD tank to me. I also like the idea of Soviet getting their own unique unit like Allied Tanya.
+1 for more interesting MAD Tank

wasn't there a Volkov character in RA?

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

scorp wrote:
SoScared wrote: This is the most intriguing suggestion I've read on this forum for a while. This sounds like a MAD tank to me. I also like the idea of Soviet getting their own unique unit like Allied Tanya.
+1 for more interesting MAD Tank

wasn't there a Volkov character in RA?
Yes. Op unit that was decided to be removed from the RA mod rather than tweaked. Good riddance IMO since it gave Allies/Soviet an asymmetric balance, making Tanya more special.

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

The Volkov assets in OpenRA were a licensing nightmare due to using a ripped cameo from Red Alert: A Path Beyond (the Renegade-to-RA1 conversion) and Red Alert 2 Romanov voices.

Balance has nothing to do with that.

The base asset is still there, as being GNRL reused on the missions - similarly how in WW RA the Radar Jammer and the Tesla Tank were also the same unit internally, just edited on the particular missions afaik (MRJ was in Counterstrike, Tesla Tank was in Aftermath).
AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

Thought i would add the typical "Arty is overpowered" argument here :) I dont think they are but i think that allies could do with shifting the focus away from arty to a healthier composition of units (promoting tanks etc). This would require some kind of nerf to arty AND a buff to general allied gameplay.

My personal thoughts are:
Nerf arty damage
Make allied tanks faster and make longbows fire faster

klaas

Post by klaas »

Longbows need a damage boost. Making them shoot wimpy rockets faster won't help.

Same counts for the MiG. It's a shame that one of the nicest units in the game is absolutely useless.

tidi

Post by tidi »

Could something be done about Allied Artillery?

Too often do I see games which become a slugfest of spamming out artillery + rocket soldiers. It's very difficult to counter, especially in early soviet games. The arty will mince any incoming infantry or flatten a base while the rocket soldiers will wipe out air and tanks.