RA Current Balance Discussion

Give your thoughts and feedback!

Discussion about the game and its default mods.

How balanced do you think RA isat the moment?

Everything is very balanced!
45%
Soviets are underpowered!
32%
Allies are underpowered!
23%

Total votes: 31

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

Hmm yea I think I'd have to agree with newwe on the 4 volley shots. Why not just keep it at 2 and cut the cool-down time in half from the proposoal? Still would be a decent buff. A shorter cooldown for the Longbow is also something that's been proposed in a discussion last year with Christian-V and FiveAces.

I think with the changes above in total could quickly make the Longbow/MiG a viable option in the late-game. We don't necessarily need to make it so that MiG/Longbow becomes the norm in the late-game.

scorp

Post by scorp »

newwe wrote: The 4 shot volley might have some negative consequences as well - ie you accidentally target infantry and you've wasted a ton of ammo
you can avoid that problem by giving the Mig a secondary armament against infantry (or other units where 4 rockets would be a waste of ammo)

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

New discussion now posted!

newwe

Post by newwe »

scorp wrote:
newwe wrote: The 4 shot volley might have some negative consequences as well - ie you accidentally target infantry and you've wasted a ton of ammo
you can avoid that problem by giving the Mig a secondary armament against infantry (or other units where 4 rockets would be a waste of ammo)
Yeah that would be a pretty decent buff, but I'm in favour of a decent sized buff for the longbow+mig, so sounds good to me.

r34ch

Post by r34ch »

Here is a map with the proposed air changes. I would urge people to test the changes before suggesting more buffs.
http://resource.openra.net/maps/14239/
SoScared wrote: Why not just keep it at 2 and cut the cool-down time in half from the proposoal?
I'll copy paste my reply to Henry on Github below
r34ch wrote:As to why I didn't buff the Mig @HenrytheSlav, with good micro you can avoid damage and greatly increase DPS even in its current release state due to the Migs range and turn rate. The current release longbow is just a sitting duck, which is why I buffed it. I tried just reducing the delay between bursts alone but I didn't think it would really help with survivability in comparison to the Mig.

With a higher burst salvo, you get some interesting micro options and it makes the Mig and Longbow more contrasting units, which I feel fits the overall balance theme of oRA. The LB becomes a somewhat high alpha strike unit that has to tank briefly while the Mig can use distance and deal more continuous damage over a longer period of time.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

@r34ch: Giving the Longbow 4 shit per burst seem like a good idea given your reasoning. I went for your other proposoals last stream with some modded maps but countered some issues when I set different ranges with the AA and AG weapons.
I want to try it again with the double salva next time around.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

@SoScared: Here is the code for a chrono tank 5 second charge time

Code: Select all

CTNK:
	PortableChrono:
		ChargeDelay: 125

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

LOL 5 seconds. Are you sure you wanna do this :P

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

Its only a test :)

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

(I like how balanced the current vote tally is: 50% think its ballanced, 26% think allies are under powered, 23% soviet are under powered.)
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

r34ch

Post by r34ch »

SoScared wrote: @r34ch: Giving the Longbow 4 shit per burst seem like a good idea given your reasoning. I went for your other proposoals last stream with some modded maps but countered some issues when I set different ranges with the AA and AG weapons.
I want to try it again with the double salva next time around.
Nice find, I didn't think to test AA. Unless people oppose, I'll increase the AA range by 1 cell to match the ground range.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

@r34ch: kudos to the stream guests on localizing the issue. I'd take me an evolutionary leap to figure that out.

The Longbow AA missile do struggle a bit to hit YAKs and MiGs that are making a turn, even idling. I say go for the extra AA range and let's see how it works out.