Did you know..?

Sleipnir's Forum Gems hidden in plain sight.

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
SoScared

Did you know..?

Post by SoScared »

So today, for the first time, I visited something called the 'Kel Shop' in the User Control Panel and spent my entire bank of 400 Kel. Congratulations me, below my name I'm now titled as a Commander, or whatever else I would want to call myself :D Kel is Sleipnir's Forum's currency, generated from activity and donations between users. This fact has generally gone unnoticed by the majority of the current active user base that joined the forum the past couple of years, and there's a good reason for that.

Another feature that's evidently been overlooked by the vast majority, including myself until recently, is that this forum has a custom theme tab located to the very bottom right of the screen. I say vast majority because when I take a look at Forum Themes in the 'Statistics' tab above, it gives us some interesting numbers:
http://www.sleipnirstuff.com/forum/statistics.php
I'm currently using the subSilver theme which makes me part of the 0% :)

Like an archaeologist looking for ancient sites and artifact I recently delved into the depths of the old forum activities, some dating as far back as April 11 2002 in which the forum appeared to go online and what I've seen is more akin to discovering an ancient lost civilization. Most users has at some point likely taken a peak at the Forum index. It includes a few semi-active topics such as modding topics, artwork, written stories and others and then there's other topics that's been inactive for years, including one called 'Triple Triad', an online card trading forum themed for Final Fantasy 8 with 1166 posts, the last post dated at September 28, 2008. All in all, these now more or less inert topics totals 130.453 posts. For comparison, the semi-active Modding section totals 89.279 posts. The OpenRA section, which is by far the most active section since at least 2012 (when I registered on the forum) totals "only" 12.327 posts from the topic's arrival sometime in September 2010. Sleipnir himself totals 3957 posts, almost 1/3 of the total posts by all users in OpenRA!

Btw for those who don't know, Sleipnir is pchote, OpenRA's most active developer together with chrisforbes, commonly found on OpenRA's IRC and Github: https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/graphs/contributors

There's a lot of names to go through on the forum's member's list pages, sorted by total posts, before you will find any familiar names active in the forums besides Sleipnir. At one moment I thought to have found chrisf's profile before I checked the history found his last post from July 13 2010 saying "Not only that, the forum strangely loads so downright slow. Visiting SS again makes me cry :( " http://www.sleipnirstuff.com/forum/memb ... ile&u=1096

EDIT: I actually found Cmd.Matt (developer) at #70 with 896 posts since May 1st 2012 and noobmapmaker (OpenRA promoter) at #107 with 440 posts since December 10 2014! Way to go!

Evidently this forum was once a great hub for a couple thousand users sharing interests that many of the current active user base has never even heard of. Looking at we've got today, having this forum for OpenRA to share ideas, organize and generally just have a good time, I feel nothing but great appreciation for Sleipnir/pchote and other old guard users that I've probably failed to mention, that has kept this forum open to avail to us all these great venues. If not reaching the height of the forums' activity as in the past I'm hoping to see the OpenRA activity and community continue to grow and support greater accomplishments that OpenRA has yet to reach and hoping that the old guard community members enjoy to see the great joy and passion that so many of us "newbies" share in this place.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

441 8)
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

jaymanxyz

Post by jaymanxyz »

What a great topic! I remember the time when I first examined this site beyond the OpenRA sections, and let me tell you, I was pretty amazed at what I had found. It was an experience that was similar to what you described SoScared: I felt like I was looking back into the ordinary lives of those from a civilization and time far away from ours. This may sound improper, but scrolling through all these archives of forums posts gives me a strange feeling of nostalgia- which should not be because I never participated in the old days of this website. But still I find a certain nostalgic charm to this website that makes me think of halcyon times.

Thank you Sleipnir for preserving it!

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

Okay, history lesson, since you don't see the really interesting aspect of this.

When TibSun and RA2 came out and people started to mod them - yes, as early as 2000 - the main modding hub became DeeZire's place first. Many other placed grown out as well, (RADEN, SleipnirStuff, TibWeb, PPM, Cannis, C&CGuild, RenegadeProjects, EditingSource and there was one place I keep forgetting the name of associated with Clazzy mostly) with SleipnirStuff being the artists hub for a loong, long while. With the release of Generals though, DeeZire and SS kinda shifted to include Generals modding, what the other places couldn't pull up. (TBH, DeeZire was breaking through, SleipnirStuff became the hub and the rest pretty much got built around particular projects/people).

Ultimately from 2006 onwards the projects started to die off, novice modders went to other games, the Gen modding became really splintered and the project-based places all started to shift along their leader's interest.

Which is why the list I mentioned has
Cannis: died in 2010 or around
Clazzy's place died in 2007 IIRC
RADEN died in 2015 - just yesterday!
EditingSource - officially went down for renovation in 2013
C&CGuild: alive, but not kicking, only the projects sustain it, Mental Omega got it's own community and that's all, no dedicated maintainer of the whole thing since 2010-11 maybe, with only technical assistance provided by the Revora Foundation which shifted towards C&C Online (Gen-RA3 online service) lately
RenegadeProjects: ended up being a coder's haven first of RockPatch's, then Ares's, but after all it's leaders shifted out from Ares in 2012, it's also just a walking dead without no actual aim or people behind. SleipnirStuff could have been ended up like this easily as well if there wouldn't be OpenRA.
TibWeb: died and reborn twice, dead since 2011-12 IIRC, community shifted to PPM, now runs as an archive in some ways under PPM.
PPM: alive, pretty much became the TS/RA2 modding hub, however noidea for how long, already shows signs of death as well. Administrator will run the place for a long while though, so if anything, the projects can keep it alive for atleast a half decade, might end up being an artist hub again, if OpenRA gen2 modding becomes popular.

EDIT: ha-ha abcdefg30, really funny. I can spell, I can't type and you know it.
Last edited by Graion Dilach on Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

jaymanxyz

Post by jaymanxyz »

Thanks for the history, Graion Dilach. I think I remember some of those places.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

Graion Dilach wrote: Okay, history lesson, since you don't see the really interesting aspect of this.
Well aren't we being presumptuous :P

No that's really interesting, thanks! Looking at the story line for those sites I can't help but think about this in terms of an allegory for evolution :D From the looks of it, OpenRA being a project focused on a platform rather than a stand-alone game seems to have given OpenRA an advantage for the long-term, and if RA2 were to be implemented into OpenRA with the same care as RA1 has been over the years, I'd love to think that it would be a slam-dunk when it comes to OpenRA's position in the C&C modding community. Would that be a fair assessment? Also, do you think that TS/RA2 could draw big traffic back to various Sleipnir's Forum topics close to what it had before?

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

Definitely not as long as the forum is set up like it is now. The old corners (asin the WW/EA game modding sections) will be abandoned and tbh that's how they should remain, as an archive.

OpenRA getting TS/RA2 will bring a traffic spike increase for certain though, but since all the OpenRA site links point towards this specific subforum, it won't change the state of the older forums.

How I assume longterm though is that SleipnirStuff will end up the OpenRA playerbase and strictly modding community, with PPM being the artist community due to atm PPM has the artists in the form of the still active TS/RA2 modder veterans, the ones you'd find in those topics who're still kicking, and being the origin source of SHP Builder, VXLSE and the many modding tools one would use (excluding XCC Mixer).
AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

Marn

Post by Marn »

Man thanks for bringing it up! There I was be thinking that this forum doesn't supports any custom avatars which honestly was surprising to me =p

JOo

Post by JOo »

sleipnirstuff is the best forum for modders and for players ! yes !

i remember sleipnirstuff back in the 90s , its was pretty much the first modding sitet ... we allready worked on modding tools back then

best community , better then anything else

PizzaAtomica

Re: Did you know..?

Post by PizzaAtomica »

SoScared wrote: I'm currently using the subSilver theme which makes me part of the 0% :)
Oh wow this looks a lot fresher than the default one I was using (well except for the top left logo which looks like it came straight from the 90's :lol: )