Murto's Maps

*Tower Defence*

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

Tower Defence has had several new features since last time i updated this thread. Now with per-wave rewards, additional options for people who want to make their own and another tower! That plus a bunch of balance changes to make it more playable and more fun!

Enjoy! 8)

MustaphaTR

Post by MustaphaTR »

I tried to add some stuff to Tower Defence and i have some suggestions.

I tried to add Refinery for giving money like Oil Derrick, a script to make it only work during game would be cool.

Also what about adding Cloaked Units and only a special structure (Gap Gen) can detect them, but not fire. That cloked unit can be Hijacker. I tried but not couldn't get work yet. Edit: Ok, they work now.

Also i think adding money after wave ends is buggy. It is taking money not add it.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

MustaphaTR wrote: I tried to add Refinery for giving money like Oil Derrick, a script to make it only work during game would be cool.
I've thought about this one but i haven't got a proper mechanism for dealing with externally scripted towers, until i do i wont be adding anything like this.
MustaphaTR wrote: Also what about adding Cloaked Units and only a special structure (Gap Gen) can detect them, but not fire. That cloked unit can be Hijacker.
I thought about this too and the gap gen was exactly the tower i thought to use :P But the main problem is alerting the player to whether there are cloaked actors in the wave or not since i can't use the lua api to check it and therefore i would need to hardcode it in (which i don't like doing).
MustaphaTR wrote: Also i think adding money after wave ends is buggy. It is taking money not add it.
Actually it is taking away the bounty money that shouldn't be given and then adding the wave reward, its not a bug. I can't improve on it until i type out a table for every actor in the game with their cost and maybe a few other properties (such as cloaking which would make your second suggestion more possible), expect this soonish.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

Have added a temporary fix to the bounty showing up when the script has cashPerWave set to true. Now it wont look like you are getting robbed of cash at the end of each round.

Download link in original post!

MustaphaTR

Post by MustaphaTR »

Some Tower Defence games actually give money by killing units too. So i thought bounty was intented. It needs are rebalance tho.

About cloak, maybe a bit of initial cloak delay can be useful but in this case Towers can attack them before start. Maybe a message before the first wave they come? They'll come in all other waves anyway.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

MustaphaTR wrote: Some Tower Defence games actually give money by killing units too. So i thought bounty was intented.
You can set the income to be by bounty by setting cashPerWave to false. If you want to play around with the unit values to balance that then feel free :) The money given as a reward per wave is altered by changing the Wave Reward Expression setting

ALso- New revision with Plasma Streamer Tower! See Original Post!

MustaphaTR

Post by MustaphaTR »

We talked about the Cloak with Nolt in Skype. I think i'll use Targetable and upgrades so it'll be always visible to player but Towers will only attack if it is in area Detector. I'll also add stealth tank.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

*Update*

Tower defence assets have been updated and now provide proper support for external scripts may it be for custom towers or something else!

Enjoy 8)

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

*Update*

Tower defence has had it's path overhauled and a new tower added which affects those around it! The mad tank also halfs the damage of towers whilst it passes them!

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

Just a warning to those using the assets for endless towdef or playing the map; OpenRA will crash if you don't have sufficient memory. Before playing make sure you have plenty free. I am currently investigating into methods of preventing this.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

MULTIPLAYER TETRIS IS HERE

Thats right! Its here. It's what you've all been craving.

With totally rewritten scripts that focus on reusability and modularity Tetris Multiplayer gives better performance than the older single player version!

Its been playtested once with real players and no game breaking bugs were found!

Grab it from here and go forth! Conquer your curiosity!

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Ive never played multiplayer tetris!? Think we need a testgame in SoScared's next stream.

Awesome job again, Murto. You really push the engine to experimental grounds :)
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

JOo

Post by JOo »

awesome work !

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

JOo wrote: awesome work !
Thanks!
noobmapmaker wrote: Awesome job again, Murto. You really push the engine to experimental grounds :)
Just you wait for my next creation 8)
noobmapmaker wrote: Ive never played multiplayer tetris!? Think we need a testgame in SoScared's next stream.
That would be great!

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

Tower Defence overhaul will be out within a week (probably), for now the list of maps has been kind-of updated. After TowDef v2.0 I'll be working on updating Tetris and polishing Tetris multiplayer. As well as extending the Tower Defence Showcase.