Unnoficial Windows binaries / requesting help with compiling

playtests, Tiberian Sun, RA2, betas

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Mackus

Unnoficial Windows binaries / requesting help with compiling

Post by Mackus »

I've been wondering, if there is any reason why there have been no playtest binaries released since December? It looks like there have been a lot of improvement, such as functional sonic weapons for d2k.
Is there any policy against releasing unfinished mods, that is TS/RA2?
I've tried to compile recent OpenRa both for Windows, and Debian, but without success.
Could anyone who successfully compiled TS/RA2 version of the game upload them?
Last edited by Mackus on Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

penev

Post by penev »

I've been wondering, if there is any reason why there have been no playtest binaries released since December?
The last release was pretty big, and also did not exactly happen very smoothly, so people are still pretty burnt out from that. As a result, there hasn't been much drive to get a new release out, sorry.
There has been talk about preparing a new playtest once we're done with the chain of changes that started, but nothing concrete yet.

Yes. That has been a pretty controversial topic, but it was decided that no official release of TS will be made until it is deemed ready (at least decently playable).
RA2 is not among the official mods (for now, likely until TS is done), so there won't be official release by us. The RA2 developers have so far agreed to our request that they don't release unfinished content.

As for compiling the game yourself, I'm sure you can get help either here or on IRC.

klaas

Post by klaas »

penev wrote:
Yes. That has been a pretty controversial topic, but it was decided that no official release of TS will be made until it is deemed ready (at least decently playable).
I think this is a wise decision. Many peopleare eagerly awaiting the TS/RA2 mods, when they are ejaculated prematurely, loads of people will be disappointed, and it will be much harder to make the try the game a second time/ give OpenRA a bad name as being a buggy game.
Last edited by klaas on Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt

Post by Matt »

You can get nightly builds and pull requests for Windows from https://ci.appveyor.com/project/OpenRA/ ... /artifacts which won't package TS though so you need to go through https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/Compiling yourself.

For the Red Alert 2 mod there are instructions at https://github.com/OpenRA/ra2/wiki However there is no guarantee that it will work with the current head of development. The mod is unstable and unreleased for a reason.

Mackus

Post by Mackus »

I see. Thanks for speedy reply.
Does compiling OpenRA on Windows has any requirements tool-wise other than Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 and Visual Studio 2013/2012 (Community/Express)? Is SDK needed? If yes, which components of them are required if one does custom install?
I ask because I wanted to download one of above-mentioned tools (SDK iirc), and installer told me I need 14 GB of free space, so I'd rather not unnecessarily bloat the disk.

penev

Post by penev »

The only thing you should need on Windows is .NET 4.0 or newer.
Having Visual Studio is a bonus, but not mandatory (you can still compile via our command-line script, which uses the .NET compiler).
And I don't know what SDK you are referring to.

Mackus

Post by Mackus »

I've been referring to Microsoft SDK, which was mentioned as useful in readme for Fincer/openra-tibsunra2 autoinstall script, which I tried to use earlier.

I ran into error while building through command line according to Openra wiki compiling instructions. (I translated cmd message to english)

Code: Select all

C:\games\OpenRA-master>make all
Microsoft (R) Build Engine version 4.0.30319.34209
[Microsoft .NET Framework version  4.0.30319.34209]
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Projects in this solution are created in sequence. To enable the creation of parallel, add the switch "/m".
Compilation began 2016-02-21 7:48:23 p.m..
The "C:\games\OpenRA-master\OpenRA.sln" in Node 1 (targets: Rebuild).
C:\games\OpenRA-master\OpenRA.sln.metaproj: error: MSB4126. The specified configuration of the solution, "Debug|MCD" is incorrect. Determine the correct configuration solutions using the Configuration and Platform properties (eg. MSBuild.exe Solution.sln /p: Configuration = Debug /p: Platform = "Any CPU") or leave these properties blank to use the default configuration solutions. [C:\games\OpenRA-master\OpenRA.sln]
Compiling the project "C:\games\OpenRA-master\OpenRA.sln" made (targets: Rebuild) - FAILURE

Compilation FAILED.

"C:\games\OpenRA-master\OpenRA.sln" (Target Rebuild) (1) -> (Target ValidateSolutionConfiguration) -> C:\games\OpenRA-master\OpenRA.sln.metaproj: MSB4126 error: The specified configuration of the solution, "Debug|MCD" is incorrect. Determine the correct configuration solutions using the Configuration and Platform properties (eg. MSBuild.exe Solution.sln /p: Configuration = Debug /p: Platform = "Any CPU") or leave these properties blank to use the default configuration solutions. [C:\games\OpenRA-master\OpenRA.sln]

warnings: 0
    number of errors: 1

Elapsed time: 00:00:06.04
Build failed. If just the development tools failed to build, try installing Visual Studio. You may also still be able to run the game.

Mackus

Post by Mackus »

Nobody? Not even "you need to install x first" :(

reaperrr

Post by reaperrr »

Try these steps:

make.cmd -> clean
then
make.cmd -> dependencies
then
make.cmd -> all

I don't have VS or Microsoft SDK installed, so those shouldn't be needed.

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

Is this TS or RA2? If the latter then I guess you'll need VS to fix it or file a bug. The former I've got no idea.
AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

Mackus

Post by Mackus »

reaperrr wrote: Try these steps:

make.cmd -> clean
then
make.cmd -> dependencies
then
make.cmd -> all

I don't have VS or Microsoft SDK installed, so those shouldn't be needed.
dependencies copy correctly, but even "clean" returns same error.

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

Wait...
C:\games\OpenRA-master>make all
You probably want "bleed" not "master" to get the latest development version anyway.
No idea why the compiling of master fails for you, though.

I'd anyway suggest to just delete your first download, redownload https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/tree/bleed and there try again.

Mackus

Post by Mackus »

On my first several attempts I tried to compile master, and then bleed on all subsequent attempts.

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

http://www.3dbuzz.com/forum/threads/203 ... d-solution!

Suggests that you should try running "set platform=" first to fix the issue.
Before doing that though, could you just post what the output for "set platform" is?

Mackus

Post by Mackus »

abcdefg30 wrote: http://www.3dbuzz.com/forum/threads/203 ... d-solution!

Suggests that you should try running "set platform=" first to fix the issue.
Before doing that though, could you just post what the output for "set platform" is?
system variable was Platform=MCD

also, after setting it to null...

Thanks for all the help.