Debate about OpenRA vs classic RA

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
klaas

Post by klaas »

I don't understand this discussion. I can see some people like the originals better, just because they like to spam tanks and be done with it.

It's a kinda strange to disregard OpenRA just because it's not like the original, but that's also fine.

But why try to convince other people they should dislike OpenRA for the same reason, while you obviously never really tried OpenRA yourself? Why waste your time?

winftw

Post by winftw »

Minotaur wrote: permanently turned on Killbounty helps only the winner to win better, it doesnt help the losing side at all. This should have been an tickbox enabled mutator and not forced.
True (although the cash bounty is next to nothing)

klaas

Post by klaas »

winftw wrote:
Minotaur wrote: permanently turned on Killbounty helps only the winner to win better, it doesnt help the losing side at all. This should have been an tickbox enabled mutator and not forced.
True (although the cash bounty is next to nothing)
False. Usually the winning side has plenty of money, while the losing side is strapped for cash. Therefor it helps the "losing" side more. (it will not save you when you are getting steamrolled, which makes sense too)

In multiplayer / FFA games, it helps the both the agressive players and the players that are attacked, since they at least get some money for their troubles.

All in all, the cash bonus rewards some action, exactly what you want from a RTS.
Last edited by klaas on Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

tldr: Cash bounties rewards good play and punish waste. Good stuff.

zinc

Post by zinc »

In Open RA (RA mod)--

Nukes are better (Very weak in original Red Alert)
Flame troops are actually useful (Just seemed to kill themselves in the original as far as I can remember)
Artillery is actually useful (Not everyone likes its power now but I think it's fine and works well)
Air units are much much improved
Chrono and Iron curtain are improved and now a key part of the game with 5 units each

And yes, "fog of war" is an improvement. I probably didn't like it when I first tried it, (because it's not the same as the original), but that doesn't mean much...

devilslayersbane

Post by devilslayersbane »

I have to admit, I greatly enjoy the OpenRA RA mod (thus why I'm working on a mod for it). I do feel like there are some issues with it, though.

-Nukes are better, but are a bit cheap.
-Artillery and V2's need a bit of a price increase to match their new-found usability.
-The hind should not be an Allied unit.
-Special variants of common vehicles (such as the light tank) could exist for each faction (AMX-13 vs M24 Chaffee, etc). Would make the selection of a faction a bit more intense.

All of this could be done to provide some extra risk vs reward scenarios.

Overall, while I understand that nostalgia hits some people harder (and I let myself be one of those people), the original RA did not age well. OpenRA is the chance to alleviate that.