What the heck does a Technology Center do?

Seriously, though, what?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
JaKeizRiPiN

What the heck does a Technology Center do?

Post by JaKeizRiPiN »

Alright, so i get the just behind neutral buildings, like the bio lab, which lets you produce zombies and ants, as well as being capturable. But, I have no idea what a technology center does, and I cannot capture it. From what I understand, you can also get a hospital and a forward command center, what do those do? Sorry, I'm a noob. Thanks.

FiveAces

Post by FiveAces »

As of now, the Forward Command and Technology Center don't do anything at all, while the Hospital gives your infantry health regeneration over time.

Oh wait, the Forward Command _does_ do something: It drains you of 200 power :p

squirrel

Post by squirrel »

Using notepad++ and modifying the yaml. file of your map (save as unpacked) you can set the Technology Center and the Forward Command to make it capturable with engineers or by only pushing your units nearby (King of the Hill maps), it´s used for modmaps or nice powerups for some maps.

-Jes-

Post by -Jes- »

Well the Technology Center was used in TibDawn and RA mainly in missions as insert-important-building-here that needed to be secured or destroyed.

It didn't exactly do much beyond that in the original games either.

jaymanxyz

Post by jaymanxyz »

-Jes- wrote: It didn't exactly do much beyond that in the original games either.
Which is a shame because the art for the buildings is quite nice in my opinion, and the Technology Center did have its own cameo if I remember correctly.

SMIFFGIG

Post by SMIFFGIG »

jaymanxyz wrote: and the Technology Center did have its own cameo if I remember correctly.
Fan made cameo, taken and edited from ingame FMV capture.
The un-offical addon for Tiberian Sun

Noebuhdy

Post by Noebuhdy »

It may be a fun idea (especially for infantry only mode) if you make a KotH map that has the technology center in the middle. The person who captures it... lets say they get Tesla Troopers :P

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

squirrel wrote: Using notepad++ and modifying the yaml. file of your map (save as unpacked) you can set the Technology Center and the Forward Command to make it capturable with engineers or by only pushing your units nearby (King of the Hill maps), it´s used for modmaps or nice powerups for some maps.
Do you (or anyone else) have 'easy to copy' code for this?
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

You can make it capturable by adding:

Code: Select all

MISS:
	ExternalCapturable:
	ExternalCapturableBar:
The first is to make it capturable by engineers. The second one renders a bar when capturing is in proccess. See https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/T ... capturable .

(For TD you want just "Capturable:" without the "External" prefix and no "ExternalCapturableBar:" at all.)

If you want to make "power-ups" available to player who captured the building, just add a support power trait to MISS. For this you can just look at how the Airfield, Chronosphere, Iron Curtain and nuke silo do it.

AmericanBlunt_

Post by AmericanBlunt_ »

Here's an example of the tech center use:
I used Tesla and nuke power as well as making it engi capturable

http://resource.openra.net/maps/8442/

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Thanks both!
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server