How about implementing a client-sided replay section?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
FiveAces

How about implementing a client-sided replay section?

Post by FiveAces »

With the recent advent of good discussions on how to increase the OpenRA playerbase,
I wanted to share a small idea that didn't quite fit into NoobMapMaker's thread, as it is not directly aimed at marketing:

What is your guys' opinion on implementing a replay tab into the client,
maybe coupled with a dynamic news bulletin system
that would be used to announce tournaments and other events in-game?

We could probably get gamereplays.org on board with that,
as I can see both sides profiting from that feature in the long run.
The OpenRA section of gamereplays has been going pretty slow ever since its launch in Sept 2015,
and this might increase traffic significantly.
This might also help newer players in getting accustomed with the game by having client-sided access to high-level replays.
Learning new strategies and build orders would be less that 5 clicks away!

As for the second part of that idea, I'd be more than willing to contribute by writing theatre-of-war style news bulletins.
Maybe have important news as floating text in the shellmap?

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

This is actually quite an old idea: #3357. We already have most of the server-side support in place for the resource center, but nobody has taken charge of implementing it in the game.

The battlefield news can be easily updated at any time, but nobody has taken charge of writing content for it. We can show you what's involved, if you wanted to manage this.

squirrel

Post by squirrel »

Slightly offtopic: Add a -match of the month-, -protip of the week- and maybe some quotes about strategies/maps/fun trivia from pro players to the client. Also make a short description to every official map with the map strategy or the recommended/caution moves to generate more map awareness. Any new player to OpenRa can feel a bit lonely seeing the shroud everywhere and not knowing what to do in some maps. That should make a more friendly game :)

FiveAces

Post by FiveAces »

This is actually quite an old idea: #3357. We already have most of the server-side support in place for the resource center, but nobody has taken charge of implementing it in the game.

The battlefield news can be easily updated at any time, but nobody has taken charge of writing content for it. We can show you what's involved, if you wanted to manage this.
Good to know!
I talked to the gamereplays mods and they gave us the thumbs up on incorporating their replay section. Would be really nice if we could get that going!

And yes, I'd love to write the newsfeed, what's involved and how do I go about it?