Feedback for Dune 2000

playtest-20151114

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Valherran

Feedback for Dune 2000

Post by Valherran »

I did a lot of playtesting for Dune 2000 on OpenRA, and a lot of things aren't close to the original game (unless you weren't striving for that.) So here is what I saw while I played all of the maps:

1. Sonic Tank - This unit is garbage. It's too slow and deals low damage at a short range, not worth the price at all. I liked it better before the playtest, minus the movement speed, that to me was perfect. This tank should be capable of 1-shotting any infantry unit and light unit, and 1-2 shots for tanks (3 for Hark MBTs), currently everything survives 2-4 hits, which is no good.

2. Siege Tank - This unit is also underpowered. It should be killing all basic infantry in 2 hits or less, and currently it takes 3-4. It also does low damage to light units, which is incorrect as it supposed to obliterate them within 2 shots as well. The only time I use this tank currently, is to hit turrets and that's it.

3. Missile Tank - Underpowered as well. This unit was capable of 1-shotting light units at a long distance, and now it takes 2. Plus, the damage vs heavy armor is also lower than it should be. They used to tank down Hark MBTs within 2 shots, and now it takes 4. This is not good, and it makes this unit useless in field combat due to the same issues as the Sonic Tank.

4. Attack + Move pathing and targeting are very strange this time around. Some units are attack + moving at shorter ranges than they should be, and all units have a 1 second delay before attacking. This should get looked into and fixed.

Suggestions/Ideas:

1. Is there a way to implement a function to toggle auto-deploy for the Fremen/Saboteurs from the palace when the timer is up? It would be helpful.

2. Can you program the game to save your last used settings for Skirmish? I am getting tired of having to redo everything each game I make.

3. Can you add a function to build more than 1 unit per click at once? Example: Shift + Click = 5 units in the queue. Alt + Click = 10 units in the queue.

4. Can you please remove minimap and game notifications when a spice pocket explodes and hits something? That got really annoying in some maps.

anjew

Post by anjew »

Valherran wrote: 3. Can you add a function to build more than 1 unit per click at once? Example: Shift + Click = 5 units in the queue. Alt + Click = 10 units in the queue.
Shift + Click does queue 5 units

Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Odd, didn't work for me. I'll have to check the key bindings. Either way, +10 would be nice.

AmericanBlunt_

Post by AmericanBlunt_ »

Sonic tanks almost aren't noticeable on the battle field.

penev

Post by penev »

1., 2., 3. As for Sonic/Siege/Missile tank - I would have to test that against the original. The speed/damage/etc. values are copied from TibEd, so they are supposed to be correct.

4. What do you mean " this time around" ? This playtest?

As for the suggestions:

1. Possible, but at the moment we're trying to get as close as possible to the original, so until then we won't be doing such changes.

2. Possible, and we all want it, but nobody has done it yet.

Valherran

Post by Valherran »

4. What do you mean " this time around" ? This playtest?
Yes, the most recent playtest you put out for DL.

OmegaBolt

Post by OmegaBolt »

All of the values should be accurate to the original, except the spread damage might be too low and the damage could falloff too quickly. That can be looked at sometime. Thanks for your feedback.

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

Sonic Tank's lineimpactdamage is also coming in a PR which sadly will not hit next release only the one coming.
AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2