Redalert Jeep, a tiny but fun Buff

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
dzine

Post by dzine »

release 20150919

In general there have been very issues with the Jeep, id be happy if it stayed 'as is' BUT i have to share with you a little buff that is fun and has was part of my final original redalert.ini file , I too added a single passenger seat but i also added something else

Primary weapon , machine gun, as is
Secondary weapon Handgrenade

Its lots of fun to micro, should you have the time and will help the Jeep's (invisible driver) do a cheeky but small bit of damage vs buildings & infantry

Ill repeat i am happy with the Jeep 'as is', but i would trade happily 1 click of speed for the secondary grenade. It is a 'safe buff'

Just a thought !

Note:I have play tested this Jeep buff extensively in the original redalert rules.ini and it works just fine so there should be no issues implementing it in openRA. This secondary weapon = grenade buff made my final edit.
Last edited by dzine on Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.

the-zoidberger

Post by the-zoidberger »

How about this.....

If you can manage capture the other team's con yard so you build both Allied and Soviet Units...

(here's where it gets fun)

You can load a dog into the ranger/jeep, which then changes the sprite/image of the ranger/jeep to imply the dog is driving.

:)

dzine

Post by dzine »

zoid that is so funny cool

Currently the jeep doesn't change sprite so you never know who the passenger is. This adds to game tension, so no rush to change. In the case of the dog and it being a low in base threat but high in humour your idea gets a big thumbs up from me !...and im quite sure few would object to that specific sprite implementation.

Jeep Raiding

If the jeeps were buffed to have grenade as a secondary weopon then Jeep raids become possible. Imagine 4 jeeps with a couple of inf and rocket soldiers as passengers sweeping into the enemy base. NOT overpowered but a threat that has to be dealt with and a nice alternative to 5 flamers in an APC.

4x$500 jeeps = 2000 ( with grenade as secondary weapon)
2x$300 rocket inf = 600
2x$100 inf = 200

Total $ 2800

APC, Flamer raid for comparison

1x$850 APC
5x$300 Flamers =1500

Total = $ 2350

The APC flamer 'raid' has more punch per square inch and is easier to micro. The buffed Jeep 'raid' has a wider area harrasment threat, a single pill box just isnt going to deal with them. They are a great harrasing team guaranteed to distract the enemy.