Ore silos

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
zinc

Ore silos

Post by zinc »

I sometimes build these. If I know my economy is about to take off, then I will build a couple. It's actually got me called a "noob" or accused of "noob-like" behaviour anyway.

Is there some way to improve them so they actually get used more? Like maybe a big increase in their capacity?

I also noticed:

Ore/tiberium/spice silos should be actually useful #3816

https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/3816

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Things I like from that discussion:

- decrease refinery storage so you need them to create reserves in money

- build them nearby the ore refinery to get small increases when a harvester delivers ore

- When you build "Service depot" + "tech center" + "war factory" + "Ore refinery" + "Ore Silo"

You can build an specail Unit named :
Massive Ore Truck

Abilities:

Self-repair (i dont know about OpenRA but in the old game it has this)
It can collect 20% more Ore for the Factory !
It has an gun like the Rifle infantry
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

You can simplify it for starters too. Building an ore silo allows ore trucks to regen slowly (Like they would do natively in base game)

At least this would give some need to build at least one. But then if you float and you lose the ore silo you can lose alot of money. So protecting them would be needed.

This might also increase the want to build more then 1. Because having more then 1 when floating money but then losing 1? You wont lose as much money. Only a small amount.

PersianImmortal

Post by PersianImmortal »

Don't listen to the haters. Pros always build silos. They win games baby.

JOo

Post by JOo »

theres actually a chance for a "shiny" tanya to appear ... if you have atleast 1 silo

AmericanBlunt_

Post by AmericanBlunt_ »

fun tip: 50 silos or more = Automatic win!

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

JOo wrote: theres actually a chance for a "shiny" tanya to appear ... if you have atleast 1 silo
How awesome would it be if there was a 1/1000 chance to build SoTanya. Looks the same and does the same as Tanya, but 'she' has soundbites from SoScared's stream (find some appropriate soundbites from his videos and cut them out).

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Kanye West wrote: fun tip: 50 silos or more = Automatic win!
This could be a minigamish thing. Build silos like crazy and meanwhile destroy other's silos.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

from my comment on github:

I strongly dislike the proposed ideas of making silos money generators and/or reducing production time, or giving them a strong role in the game at all. These are powerful solutions for, let's be honest, a non-issue. Useful for starved maps? If players intentionally made a map starved for ore then that reason becomes nonsensical. IMO there's absolutely no demand for it in terms of gameplay. It expands an aspect of the game that has no need for it. We're waging war, not managing a budget for the next calendar year of Sim City.

I'd fully support a small tweak that makes silos slightly more attractive - just slightly. E.g.:

- Immune to spies. There's no need to widen the target area for spies against players who's actually building silos.

- Remove power usage. *or reduce from 10 to 5

These are suggestions that would slightly support newer players (e.g. less punished by power outages because of silos), and perhaps players in general not keeping up their production versus income (retaining a strong economy over a longer period of time).

Obrakmans suggestion above makes sense given that the silo would be a necessity for a player loosing control of his/her economy. I like the idea but know that it would probably create a bigger gap between player's skill levels - it strongly rewards better management of your production versus economy. I'd love to see that change in a RA mod with a bigger player base (future feature).

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

I agree with most of you Soscared, silo s should not become a must and tweaking them so they become only slightly better is best.

But...tweaking refineries so they don't store alot of money sounds good to me. E.g. Take of 10% or 15%. So if you want to save alot of money (which usually is a bad, but can be nice) then you'll have to get some silo's.

By doing this the incentive to build them is bigger, but they don't really change the course of the game.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

I think reducing the capacity of the refinery would piss everyone off with an earlier 'silos needed'.

There's another possibility here though, and I think it actually makes some sense (RA):

Currently 1 refinery holds up to $6310 (sometimes $5600 to $6500 because reasons). 1 silo holds about $1500. Nobody cares. Eventually you'll get your 2nd and 3rd refinery which stores up to $12k and $18k. Every now and then you float about $10k-$20k and hit your ceiling. You're now a juicy target for spies, especially if your opponent suspects you're loaded. This is when the silo could actually prove itself useful:

Increase silo storage capacity from $1500 to $2500 (or more)
Silo's ore content is immune to theft.
Silo's ore content fills up proportionally to your capacity (currently by default), but decreases only once the refinery content is depleted.
Silo's are immune against spies (minor detail).
*Losing the silo doesn't lose you credits (same as with the current refinery).
*Give the silo a roof so you don't see the content, to legitimize ore silos not loosing content when destroyed.

*points added after comments below

Scenario:
You're floating $10k because you suck :D. You've got 2 refineries + 2 ore silos, making your total store capacity about $18,5k. Your 2 ore silos are filled about 10k/18.5k, ca. 55%, containing $5000*0,55= $2750. At that instant, those $2750 are safe from theft. Suddenly you see 5 spies enter your refinery, followed by "c-c-c-c-credits, stolen" after which you're left with (($10k minus $2750) multiplied by 0.55) + $2750 = $2976.

-end Scenario

Your opponent robbed you off $7k which sucks BUT, you withheld almost 3k and more importantly, your production isn't interrupted. Useful.
Last edited by SoScared on Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

By prioritizing resources into silos instead of equally distributing them you protect the funds from spies, but make it more vulnerable to loss from building destruction.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

Silos becoming a legitimate target. Hilarious.

If I'm not mistaken, as long as one isn't floating beyond its extra capacity the full content from the destroyed ore silo should distribute itself equally among the other containers. EDIT: nope. losing your ref doesn't lose you credits, losing a silo does. Meaning building silos only risk you losing value.
Last edited by SoScared on Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

Ok so say that losing the silo doesn't lose you credits, just as losing a refinery doesn't lose you credits. ...which doesn't make sense because you can actually see the ore in the silo. The ore dumped at the refinery is presumably sold on the world market or whatever. Right. so...

Wait, I got it. Give the silo a solid roof (you know, like silos in the real world) which would excuse it having the same properties as a refinery - no loss of ore when destroyed because you are now actually just in capacity of selling more of your ore at the same time (why not) and then you could implement all points made above.

Yes it may sound tedious but do you want functional silos or not :)
Last edited by SoScared on Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

avalach21

Post by avalach21 »

Silos are useless pieces of crap and always have been. They were useful in the original RA for extending your build radius but since OpenRA changes the way build radius works, and since silos are now "defensive" structures, this is no longer the case. Silos are pretty much totally worthless unless you are storing up money for some reason, which you generally shouldn't be. If you hear "Silos needed" it's time to build a Missle silo and whatever other expensive shit you can think of and use up that ca$$h.

Out of all the discussion in this thread, the only change that would make some sense to me is to have the silos be some sort of safeguard against thievery. At this point it seems they would only make you more vulnerable to thievery which is ironic.

While we're having this discussion, I don't really understand how getting a thief inside an enemy silo/refinery steals any credits. I know that's how they behaved in the original game but for sake of discussion..

#1 that's only half of the job, wouldn't you need to go in, get the credits, and then most importantly, get out and escape with the stolen goods? I could see silos being useful as a drop off point for thieves after they have stolen the goods.

#2 How much can they actually carry? If huge ore truck can only carry 500 credits worth, how is some little guy with presumably some bags supposed to steal huge amounts of credits worth more?