Ore silos

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
SoScared

Post by SoScared »

avalach21: Now that you ask, I imagine the thief (now a spy) hacks the refinery and somehow transfer funds to the enemy account. Makes sense, as mentioned above, the refinery doesn't actually contain the ore. If it did you'd lose ore when you lose a refinery.

Silos are counter-intuitive to good play, makes no sense design-wise, are low-capacity and a liability as you lose ore that's stored in silos. Better let the extra ore stay in the fields where they help grow ore exponentially from the ore mine. The #1 reason I want a more useful silo (not giving it a huge role mind you) is that it was part of the original. Like the ridiculously useless artillery that now has been remade into a key component. The thievery protection seems like a modest step in the right direction.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

Since when did red alert need to be realistic? Changes and additions shouldn't be made to provide realism; but to provide balance and depth to the game.

avalach21

Post by avalach21 »

SoScared wrote: avalach21: Now that you ask, I imagine the thief (now a spy) hacks the refinery and somehow transfer funds to the enemy account. Makes sense, as mentioned above, the refinery doesn't actually contain the ore. If it did you'd lose ore when you lose a refinery.

Silos are counter-intuitive to good play, makes no sense design-wise, are low-capacity and a liability as you lose ore that's stored in silos. Better let the extra ore stay in the fields where they help grow ore exponentially from the ore mine. The #1 reason I want a more useful silo (not giving it a huge role mind you) is that it was part of the original. Like the ridiculously useless artillery that now has been remade into a key component. The thievery protection seems like a modest step in the right direction.
I was going to say that they must have to hack in and transfer funds or something, but this game is supposedly (early?) cold war era which predates the internet or even technology such as ATM use for the most part. So with that in mind it doesn't make the most of sense, but I'm probably getting overly analytical for Red Alert, a game which has Chronospheres, Iron Curtains and other fantastical technologies lol.

It's funny how well u lay it out, as yes they are pretty much all negative and no positive value. It's better to have the excess cash in orefields spawning more ore for later rather than uselessly stashed in your possession where it can be stolen or vaporized into non existence quite easily.

I'm largely for not making any changes in regards to silos cause the game plays fine as it is ignoring them, but another idea I thought of was to have ore trucks dump off their pay load regardless of if there is storage capacity for them or not. It would be really mean to make the credits complete vanish and go to waste if you dont have storage room for them (imo) (was that how it was in RA1 originally?), but you could make them go into your cash total and experience a credit "leak" or "drain" punishment of 1 credit every half second or something unless you have the capacity to properly store all the excess credits. The credits would drain away until you go back below your capacity, or increase your capacity via more silos.
Last edited by avalach21 on Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

avalach21 wrote: I was going to say that they must have to hack in and transfer funds or something, but this game is supposedly (early?) cold war era which predates the internet or even technology such as ATM use for the most part. So in that sense it doesn't make the most of sense, but I'm probably getting overly analytical for Red Alert, a game which has Chronospheres, Iron Curtains and other fantastical technologies lol.
Yeah I think in the context of the twisted red alert universe we can allow ourself to think they had a functioning electronic network of some sorts :)

dzine

Post by dzine »

ORE SILOS my solution

double the storage capacity and double the hit points

a 2 minute edit

job done

In game result ?

Occasional encounter of 4 silos in a square surrounded by a concrete wall for good measure.

Some good use, sometimes.

It takes a lot of work to add new buildings or new units to a game, 100s of hours hard graft. A better silo would be the size of a radar dome and you would need one, perhaps two as a backup....in a perfect world i would do this, but as a 2 minute fix the above suggestion is a usefull buff that would have almost zeros issues associated with it....aka no right minded player would complain