Some of my maps :)

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
squirrel

Post by squirrel »

PizzaAtomica you´re one of the best eye-candy mappers I´ve ever seen here in OpenRA... Cheers!

PizzaAtomica

Post by PizzaAtomica »

squirrel wrote: PizzaAtomica you´re one of the best eye-candy mappers I´ve ever seen here in OpenRA... Cheers!
Thanks for the compliment!

I've added a new map:

Mad Science

http://resource.openra.net/maps/3727

I recently found out that capturing the science center allowed you to train ants and zombies so I just had to incorporate it in a map. :D
The map itself is meant for casual 1v1's or 2v2's, it may not really be suited for FFA's due to the close proximity of the starting positions on either side.

squirrel

Post by squirrel »

Someone make these maps go full official please :)

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

+1 nice maps! I hope they get tested. It always provides unforseen feedback. Still busy here otherwise I'd do it.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Testgame on Mad Science - got butchered, but the map works fine! Both 1v1 and 2v2s will be fun I think

http://www.gamereplays.org/openra/repla ... y_overview

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

PizzaAtomica

Post by PizzaAtomica »

Thanks guys!

Noobmapmaker, those are some nice replays, I really like some of your sneaky tactics on the Mad Science ones. That last one was a very close match, up untill the last minute I couldn't tell who was going to win!

I've decided to change the thread to include all the maps in the first post since it wasn't really about the cross or burn map anymore :lol:

PizzaAtomica

Post by PizzaAtomica »

Allright I've uploaded a new map!

Cold Front
http://resource.openra.net/maps/3977/

This one is a six player island, suitable for 3v3 (or 2v2, or 1v1, the less players, the more room for expansion ;) ), how you divide the map is up to you.
Hope you like it!

raymundo

Post by raymundo »

Nice work, looks very professional and I'm looking forward to trying them. Have you made maps for other games? Im wondering what your process is and who you get your ideas?

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Yes, curious about your work- and thoughtproces as well.

I'm going to test the map and post replays.

Norman_

Post by Norman_ »

All great maps, love to play them.

PizzaAtomica

Post by PizzaAtomica »

Thanks guys. I made some maps for RA, TS and RA2 back in the day but I never shared any of that online (during the days of RA I don't think we even had internet yet at our home). I also tried some mapping for TW and RA3 but the worldbuilders were too unintuitive for me to handle so I never finished even one map.
I have also in general always liked to create settings or 'worlds' in different mediums like games like Sim City and Rollercoaster Tycoon, or in drawings or playing with model trains even when I was younger.

About my work process, it varies, sometimes I work from a sketch I've drawn, other times I just make it up as I go along. Mostly I draw inspiration from the mission maps, I think they are often a little more interesting than the skirmish maps.

One of the most important things I try to keep in mind is to never place two of the same terrain pieces close to eachother, and the more recognizable they are - like that one big debris piece of a ruined house (I think), the wrecked tank and yak, or that one curvy roadpiece with walls on either side - the more sparsely I use them.
When making cliffs I try to make them a little irregular shaped instead of a 'straight' line, to make them feel more natural. With rivers I try to make sure that 'flow naturally', meaning their direction makes sense with the cliffs around them. Otherwise it might feel like they are flowing 'upward' in some places. This requires a little trial and error though.
In fact my mapping in general is a lot of trial and error. For every finished map I've made there are a few half-made maps that I'll probably never finish because I don't like where it's heading. :D

I'm still learning. I think right now something that I may need to improve is making sure that there are more expansion points with enough room to build.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Thanks! Another way to create 'unique' tiles is by adding debris to debris in a natural way.

JOo

Post by JOo »

3 of your maps are "official" now ... Cold Front , Barracuda and Mad Science

i did the paperwork for you , Mailaender added them

https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/8970

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Good news!

For mad science I've got 1 thing to consider though: the ants and zombies seem to be really strong and can be built very fast. He who owns the lab probably wins.

Have others noticed this as well or disagree?