Send me your replays and I'll cast them!

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
SirCake

Post by SirCake »

@eddie what you are saying is straight up unfair. SoScared was the one who started OpenRA on Youtube in the first place. 5A only showed up when SoS did no new content for some time.
Sure his leave and re-emergence are connected to personal reasons and his own priorities, which you might not agree with. Considering the amount of work he put into OpenRA as a whole, I'm absolutely certain he does not want to harm the project.
Also, he just did a full stream showcasing my own modifications for OpenRA, so you can't argue that he claims to be "the only one doing it right".
Your statement is just unfair.
@Happy also unfair is generically blaming this comment onto the devs.
@5A I advise just deleting these three comments so your topic isnt derailed into generic hate. Keep up the good work!

Check out Dune2k-Advanced on my moddb page!

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

SirCake wrote: Your statement is just unfair.
@Happy also unfair is generically blaming this comment onto the devs.
!
I was gonna go on a justice crusade but i felt it was better to leave to 5a and soscared to sort

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

eddie wrote: He just wants to rip things out. And he wants to rip apart the community. Imho his attitude harms openra: "Don't follow the main project, follow me!" the savior spake.
Yes and mainly no.

Compared to other mods, soscared dedicates a lot of time to makes things happen, the changes he tries are :

- Originals ideas
- suggestions from other people
- suggestions from feedback
- Ideas from other mods that are really worth it (and most of the time credit to the original author)

"The main project" has the hard task to council 3 differents groups of people, 1V1 (competitive ?), teamgame (Casual ?) and "dev and modding" (engine related) and the group that need the most of attention is also the most "problematic" for the devs.

Having a separate project/mod to try to balance/satisfy and push further this particular group of individual (1V1) is in my eyes a good things. It has the benefit of not disturbing the casual players about detail they "don't care/don't notice/will never know" or things they simply don't want. It allows as well the devs to keep focusing on there agenda with the modding/developping community without having to pay attention at every flaming/crying post of worried people in the 1V1 group as someone else would be there to check that out.

There are other people doing alternative playtest mod, but lets face it, you need to apeal the players to follow your work. For now, soscared has some correct stuff in its playtest that induces good games BUT MORE THAN THAT he is alwais there to make sure there are lobbies ready to play it, to grab himself the replays and to try to speed as fast as possible the process to make his mod evolving. consistency and presence is what makes soscared work more popular than the others because it feels "serious". (((edit : I'm not implying that other projects are a clown fest, don't get me wrong i don't mean to offend anyone")))

As for separate the community it's already the case, 1V1 and teamgames, with differents approach, different motivation and lets face it, both makes fun of each others.

For the rest, Soscared does'nt have in any case an attitude of "Yeah, follow my shits, the rest is garbage, I will save the game", he is just there relentlessly giving the people who wants an alternative something to go for, he is not forcing anyone and he would be very stupid to work that hard without trying to promote at least a bit his work.

I'll finish by stating that on a personal matter/taste when I start my lobbies i play on release ragl map and when soscared has a lobby going i give it a shot because "why not".

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

WhoCares wrote:
eddie wrote: He just wants to rip things out. And he wants to rip apart the community. Imho his attitude harms openra: "Don't follow the main project, follow me!" the savior spake.
Yes and mainly no.

Compared to other mods, soscared dedicates a lot of time to makes things happen, the changes he tries are :

- Originals ideas
- suggestions from other people
- suggestions from feedback
- Ideas from other mods that are really worth it (and most of the time credit to the original author)

"The main project" has the hard task to council 3 differents groups of people, 1V1 (competitive ?), teamgame (Casual ?) and "dev and modding" (engine related) and the group that need the most of attention is also the most "problematic" for the devs.

Having a separate project/mod to try to balance/satisfy and push further this particular group of individual (1V1) is in my eyes a good things. It has the benefit of not disturbing the casual players about detail they "don't care/don't notice/will never know" or things they simply don't want. It allows as well the devs to keep focusing on there agenda with the modding/developping community without having to pay attention at every flaming/crying post of worried people in the 1V1 group as someone else would be there to check that out.

There are other people doing alternative playtest mod, but lets face it, you need to apeal the players to follow your work. For now, soscared has some correct stuff in its playtest that induces good games BUT MORE THAN THAT he is alwais there to make sure there are lobbies ready to play it, to grab himself the replays and to try to speed as fast as possible the process to make his mod evolving. consistency and presence is what makes soscared work more popular than the others because it feels "serious". (((edit : I'm not implying that other projects are a clown fest, don't get me wrong i don't mean to offend anyone")))

As for separate the community it's already the case, 1V1 and teamgames, with differents approach, different motivation and lets face it, both makes fun of each others.

For the rest, Soscared does'nt have in any case an attitude of "Yeah, follow my shits, the rest is garbage, I will save the game", he is just there relentlessly giving the people who wants an alternative something to go for, he is not forcing anyone and he would be very stupid to work that hard without trying to promote at least a bit his work.

I'll finish by stating that on a personal matter/taste when I start my lobbies i play on release ragl map and when soscared has a lobby going i give it a shot because "why not".
how do i upvote there is no upvote button

eddie

Post by eddie »

I've followed the progress of openra for a very long time. I know soscared deserves a lot of merits for what he did in the past. I haven't criticized this good work in my original comment.
But after all his good work he came up with a thread "I''m pulling out of openra". This is what I called "rage quit". Since then he anounced ra unplugged. This mod is not about balance changes. Well there are balance changes. It's about getting rid of the new features added in the last release. Just read what soscared writes about it: https://github.com/SoScared/Red-Alert-U ... i/Features

I do not have any objections to mods with balance changes. I do not have any obections to mods with totally crazy changes.

However, as said, I do not agree with mods that try to revert the progress of the main project. It's not about the content and not about the changes. It's all about the attitude.

FiveAces

Post by FiveAces »

@eddie @Happy @SirCake I honestly think this entire situation is way less dramatic than people might think.
SoScared is essentially creating an experimental balance patch, as have many others before him (including myself),
and I have casted them every now and so often (e.g. OMnom's naval patch).

This serves not as a call to action to abandon the official release, but rather as a showcase of how flexible OpenRA can be,
given that even people with limited prior coding experience (again, such as myself) can create new iterations of the base game.

I think we should leave it at that.

Blackened

Post by Blackened »

Gonna drop this of for you FiveAces, the first game against mo from SirCakes UOE Tournament. Mostly because of some clutch chronosphere play as well as pretty much every unit being used. Not sure if it's worth a cast though. The game it self is a bit campy (it was Aquarius) and thus kinda long but I'm sure you'll get a kick out of the mistakes/plays.
Attachments
movsblackenedgame1.orarep
(1.93 MiB) Downloaded 192 times

Mo

Post by Mo »

Great game between myself and Unano here!

(Please note not to distribute this map as it's an outdated revision now)

https://www.gamereplays.org/openra/repl ... &id=327485

FiveAces

Post by FiveAces »

As always, thanks for the submissions!

The game I chose to cast this week marks the return of Spy, who used to be a strong player back in his prime. Here, he's trying to find his way back into the current meta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NFebx2nsdU

Cheers!

FiveAces

Post by FiveAces »

Stand aside, RA! TD, your less popular cousin, is stepping up its competitive game and is ready for its spot in the limelight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxJCyEr_cPw

In other news, check out Lorrydriver's invitational tournament on Feb 10th - I'll livestream and participate as well!
Will put up an announcement video later this week.
Cheers!

FiveAces

Post by FiveAces »

The Admiral versus Macrogaming Incorporated is goilg live right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X6Jhw0PV_I

In other news, I'll be livestreaming Lorrydriver's Foretaste Tournament this Saturday from 4pm UTC.
Tune in for some frantic 1v1 action!

FiveAces

Post by FiveAces »

Lorry's tournament was interesting; without spoiling, some contestants dropped out earlier than anticipated ;)
For those interested, here's the video to the first half of the tournament:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiYlQu7_zF8

The weekly shoutcast, on the other hand, brings us back to the tiberium-infested fields of TD once again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZF4hUtsXUg

InsertName versus Master, bringing back the triple airstrip build!

FiveAces

Post by FiveAces »

Round 5 of TGDL was the last one to be played on release 102017,
and this week's cast prefectly sums up the current state of the meta:

GDI only, APC antics!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvEFXSycfrM

As fun as this match was to cast, here's to hoping the next rounds will see a more diverse range of strategies!

FiveAces

Post by FiveAces »

Finally some more naval action!
It seems that this replay was already covered on SoScared's stream,
but this was a really entertaning game regardless:

ArcticSea versus WarRyker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYfGaXMYsso

Cheers!

FiveAces

Post by FiveAces »

Alright, after a week of creeping cough and 39ish fever, it's finally time to get back into OpenRA!
Apologies for the delay, I was sick and had forgotten my backlog had dried up.

To make up for it, here's an extra long'n'crispy replay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl7ySHlCciw

SoScared versus ArcticSea,
highlighting SoScared's brand-new "failed rally point into great gem heist" strat! 8)

Cheers!