Send me your replays and I'll cast them!

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
SoScared

Post by SoScared »

How convenient. Barf isn't an active forum poster.

anjew

Post by anjew »

SoScared wrote: How convenient. Barf isn't an active forum poster.
Thats his fault. I dont even think Hi has a forum account yet a vast amount of his replays are used. It takes 2 to make an OpenRA replay.

Whats wrong with the replay outside of the comments?
Why are you so opposed to this getting casted?

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

I'd be opposed to put anything on display where one of the parties expressed misgivings about it. To be frank it's a matter of basic human decency. I'm surprised the discussion even had to come this far.

anjew

Post by anjew »

SoScared wrote: I'd be opposed to put anything on display where one of the parties expressed misgivings about it. To be frank it's a matter of basic human decency. I'm surprised the discussion even had to come this far.
I'm yet to see these misgivings. This conversation is entirely based on hearsay. You claim this violates Barfs human decency yet GDave says Barf has said its fine. The only reason it has come this far is because you are arcing up about it.

I feel the replay has some relation to quite a few topics that are brought up or have been brought up. Such as artillery, kill bounties and micro vs macro. I'm surprised you want to suppress a replay that contains pertinent information, especially after its been homogenised.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

I claimed Barf was displeased about the replay being submitted to this thread.

Your feelings about the context of this matter are misguided.

ZxGanon

Post by ZxGanon »

Just cast the replay and censor the chat I mean wth is wrong with you all to discuss that.
Its so easy to change yamls of a replay come on.

Also sometimes you dont have a choice. Your replay gets uploaded and thats just it.
Dont be a pansy ass and just do it.

I had to deal with worse shit than this in newer CnCs and SC2 where uploading replays with the schematic of beating someone famous was like a witch hunt.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

It's not a matter of a replay upload but a casting request. I fully support tracking down and beating famous players. The discussion above has nothing to do with that.

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

I get more beaten than tracked down, that would mean i'm not famous yet.

One reason of Barf doesn' want to this game being cast is the ending, Hi doesn't win this game by pushing barf having no other option than surrender. Barf surrender by being tired/disgusted of the game (would be disapointed about his own way to manage it or displeased by Hi playstyle, i could'nt say and it's not the point).In any case, despite lots of technical aspect and interesting events during this game, this is not something really "pretty" for public entertainement in a cast. You just have to read the comment to see what kind of vibe the game itself is emmiting, no need to propagade those vibes on a larger scale. (and it's not because you erase the comments already said that the same thing would not occures again).

Speaking about all the aspect in relations with hot balancing topics, the replay is available to watch the game and get the infos so if a player doesn't want it to be casted, his choice should be respected.

edit : for the record, i enjoyed watching the game.

barf_openra

Post by barf_openra »

Ok, I originally intended to stay out of this but it seems better if I step in now to clear the air before things get more hostile.

Here is a timeline of events from my perspective:

Both during and after the game there was indeed bad vibes in the chat coming from multiple parties (myself included). I was obviously not happy with the way I played and the result of the match and it was rude of me to rage-quit and not give Hi his due. Other spectators seemed to take particular enjoyment in my frustration.

When GDave then immediately submitted the replay, with chat-log intact, I interpreted this as further trying to get under my skin. It was at this point that I mentioned to SoScared that I would prefer the game not be casted due to my behavior after the game and I just wanted to forget about the whole thing.

It was after this conversation with SoScared that GDave reached out to me to clear and air and try to get my blessing for the game to be casted, with a [REDACTED] chat log. I told GDave that I would neither refuse nor endorse the redacted replay being casted, and that it is FiveAces decision if he wants to cast a game or not. There is no bad blood between myself and GDave after this conversation.

SoScared obviously didn't know what GDave and I had said to each other and therefore assumed I still preferred the game not be casted, so he was trying to honor what he believed to be my wishes. I appreciate this and he was just trying to do the right thing.

While many may find the game interesting/entertaining, I think anything to be learned from it regarding the current recent RA Controversy Du Jour (balance, kill bounties, macro vs micro) is limited at best. It was played on the SoS Playtest 1.6b and has a sample size of 1 game.

Of course I could have played differently and I don't believe the game was fully over when i quit, but the main thing the game shows is the extreme defensive power of fully teched-up allies. Without a nuke or Iron Curtain, i'm not sure what other methods were available to break Hi's turtle. I have no opinion on if that is a problem with RA and if so how to fix it.

I have no qualms about a game being casted because I didn't win it, several of my losses have been casted before. I don't view the game as a "schematic" to beat me and in my opinion Hi is the ONLY OpenRa player with the will and skill to hold out in that situation. Others are welcome to try his strategy :)

I hope this post has cleared some things up.

Barf

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

Definitely cleared some things up, thanks for coming out of the woodwork and save the day :)

Btw why aren't you using your older account? profile link Forgot your password? :P

barf_openra

Post by barf_openra »

Yes, i forgot the PW to my old account the the "Forgot your PW" link never sent me an email to reset it, so I had to make a new account.

GDave

Post by GDave »

Thanks Barf.

Post by 010010 »

lol
Well some nonsmart words. XD
Who cares. That is the Internet. We are all bad humans. :P

zoidyberg

Post by zoidyberg »

barf_openra wrote: I interpreted this as [GDave] further trying to get under my skin.
GDave intentionally getting under your skin? The hell you say?! As much as GDave makes me roll my eyes, he is a darn good player. It's nice to see that he took the time to reach out and patch things up. :)

I once stumbled upon a Youtube replay of myself getting stomped and called a shitty player. Who cares...It's just Internet chatter. We all talk some trash.

FiveAces

Post by FiveAces »

So, it seems to me that this replay has sparked quite a bit of controversy!

...Naturally, I had to cast it ;)

In order to avoid any further flamewars, I had to resort to GDave's PG13 version,
so kudos to him for providing a family-friendly replay!

Being a competitive gamer myself, I know how frustrating it can be to lose a game despite giving it your all
(just check my RAGL track record this season),
but I'm sure both Barf and Hi are sportsmanlike enough to understand that this is still a match that definitely deserved to be casted,
if only for the entertainment value that this amazing clash of playstyles has provided the audience with.

Anyway, I still have quite the backlog of casts,
and this week we're finding ourselves back on Pitfight
in a brutal match between MechANIC and Doomsday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_RUOxITPrE

Cheers!