Problem with Map editor (Latest release)

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
zinc

Problem with Map editor (Latest release)

Post by zinc »

I can't get it to save "actors" on the map?

zinc

Re: Problem with Map editor (Latest release)

Post by zinc »

With the old style editor, I just can't get it to save them at all.

With the new "in game" editor, it appears to save them, and I can play the map if I go straight to it. But then if I exit and reload openra, the changes have disappeared.

zinc

Post by zinc »

zinc wrote:
With the new "in game" editor, it appears to save them, and I can play the map if I go straight to it. But then if I exit and reload openra, the changes have disappeared.
Correction: it doesn't save the changes to the file being edited, but rather creates a copy of the map in the "official maps" section. So it's still there to play but that doesn't seem to be how it should work...

zinc

Post by zinc »

Is there some setting I don't know about? So it works fine but I just don't know how to get it to work?

Or has it been messed up with the new release?

I don't know why an "in game" editor was needed to be honest. The old style editor is really quite good when you get used to it. It's way better than the new editor at this stage.

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

The old editor does not support the file formats added in D2k and TS, and does not run in Macs. Also, no diamond (TS) terrain support.

Long-term it's a lot simpler to maintain one program than two. The old editor had it's own codebase, so most of the codes would've needed to be duplicated.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

I've made a map with the ingame editor. Later I edited it again. The map first didn't seem updated (the old one showed on my skirmish lobby), but when I loaded it in the ingame editor it did show the changes in the editor! I then restarted OpenRA and then it showed the latest version in the skirmish lobby. So that fixes it for me.

But I can't find the map in my folders, not in documents (windowse7) and not in the official map folder .Anyone knows what happened to the file ?

Btw.. We have windmills ,lighthouse, cattle, boxes and crates in the newest version! Very nice!!

*edit: saved again with a different name and under ^mods/maps and the other directory and now it shows! (only in the documents folder directory.)