Ideas for better game balancing.

Discussion and feedback for Red Alert mod. Vox populi.

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
winftw

Post by winftw »

Tossing around some wild ideas:
- Remove prerequisites from tech center (can build it right away)
- Give grenadier,APC,chinook to everyone
- Nerf all aircraft's vision radius to the same as riflemen
- Base defenses: increase price about 2x
- 5 sec teleporter recharge time for chrono tank. Give chrono tank to all allies
- yak can pick up 2 passengers and paradrop them
- Bring back the sniper and give him to ukraine

newwe

Post by newwe »

- Give grenadier,APC,chinook to everyone
this could be good
- yak can pick up 2 passengers and paradrop them
yaks are already pretty powerful, this might make them too powerful, giving it to migs would be better, although "unrealistic".
- Bring back the sniper and give him to ukraine
I'm not too familiar with the sniper so maybe this is ok, but with tesla troopers probably getting nerfed this makes Ukraine pretty OP versus Russia.
- Base defenses: increase price about 2x
Not sure why this is necessary, this would hurt noobies a lot as well as they looove base def.
- 5 sec teleporter recharge time for chrono tank. Give chrono tank to all allies
Chrono tanks are pretty crappy anyway, buff is fine.
winftw wrote: Tossing around some wild ideas:
- Remove prerequisites from tech center (can build it right away)
- Nerf all aircraft's vision radius to the same as riflemen
No, just no.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

winftw wrote: - 5 sec teleporter recharge time for chrono tank. Give chrono tank to all allies
sounds like you are trying to make them like stalkers from starcraft 2 with blink upgrade :lol:
winftw wrote: - Base defenses: increase price about 2x
i like the concept and it would prevent base walking but perhaps have a rethink on the multiplier, more like 1.5x

hotze

Post by hotze »

Murto the Ray wrote:
i like the concept and it would prevent base walking but perhaps have a rethink on the multiplier, more like 1.5x
Until the first flamerush.

winftw

Post by winftw »

hotze wrote:
Murto the Ray wrote:
APC + 5 flamers cost $2350.
10 riflemen + a medic cost $1200. You could still afford an expensive $800 pillbox on top of that.
Defending a flamerush is totally possible without pillboxes. Proof attached.
Attachments
win.gif
win.gif (730.26 KiB) Viewed 9236 times

PersianImmortal

Post by PersianImmortal »

winftw wrote:
hotze wrote:
Murto the Ray wrote:
APC + 5 flamers cost $2350.
10 riflemen + a medic cost $1200. You could still afford an expensive $800 pillbox on top of that.
Defending a flamerush is totally possible without pillboxes. Proof attached.
Bad soviet player
Only an idiot lets out his flame troops next to infantry. He should have moved along and chose another target

r34ch

Post by r34ch »

PersianImmortal wrote: Only an idiot lets out his flame troops next to infantry. He should have moved along and chose another target
To be fair you can't see the soviet players LoS in that gif.

newwe

Post by newwe »

r34ch wrote:
PersianImmortal wrote: Only an idiot lets out his flame troops next to infantry. He should have moved along and chose another target
He was getting shot at before he let the flamers out though.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

newwe wrote:
r34ch wrote:
He was getting shot at before he let the flamers out though.
You can tell he's a bad soviet player by two things here

Firstly: He goes for the MCV, everyone knows you can just move it and so if you go for it it usually ends up in failure unless the opposing player is pretty bad

Secondly: he goes for a flamer rush, its not a very good tactic anymore with the amount of buffs allied defenses have had. Even a simple wall around your mcv will block flamers for long enough for you to get units over there. Its a nice gimmick to pull off when you know your opponent cant handle it well but if its the opposite its more likely to economically hinder you than put you ahead.

JOo

Post by JOo »

PersianImmortal is right ... every decent player would first crush the infantry with apc or snipe em with the mg mounted ... problem solved ... unload apc ... -> barbecue-mcv

zakedodead

Post by zakedodead »

Limit artillery / v2 rockets to like 5 out at a time?

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

zakedodead wrote: Limit artillery / v2 rockets to like 5 out at a time?
A good idea but then you must consider maps that are a lot bigger and thus require more of the above units

I suggest that the minimum range should be increased for arty

hotze

Post by hotze »

Then the medium tank needs a serious buff and cost reduction, otherwise Soviets will simply steamroll Allies with their heavy tanks and mammoths.
Or do you want to limit those to 2 units at a time?

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

hotze wrote:
Then the medium tank needs a serious buff and cost reduction, otherwise Soviets will simply steamroll Allies with their heavy tanks and mammoths.
Or do you want to limit those to 2 units at a time?
That's not really a concern; heavy tanks take a fair amount of time to get built and they are less maneuverable than medium tanks, perhaps the range of a medium tank should be 1 or 2 tiles further than heavy tanks but i disagree to a price decrease of buff otherwise for medium tanks as they are good as they are - just under used. Also, if you are concerned about heavy tanks then use rocket troops

I completely disagree to any unit limitations though.

raymundo

Post by raymundo »

In debugging I have found that the medium tanks are pretty much on par with heavys. 4 mediums compete evenly in a fight with 3 heavys, they are on par because it costs the same to build 4 mediums as it does 3 heavys and the build time is also the same for 4 mediums as it is for 3 heavy tanks. So economically and they are equal. I wouldn't say they need a buff as they are quite strong and more maneuverable than heavys.
The idea for minimum firing range for the artillery sounds like a fair change, and it makes sense realistically. Having a limit on a unit type is a bad idea imo. Changes for art/v2 could be: either the minimum firing range, or artillery getting a slightly slower firing rate; v2: faster projectile speed so the projectile is in the air for a shorter time. This is if a change is necessary, I think these units are quite fine currently
The issue that always comes up with the allies is a lack of alternative firepower.