Ideas for better game balancing.

Discussion and feedback for Red Alert mod. Vox populi.

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
raymundo

Post by raymundo »

Only issue is, even if it is not around money, if newbies get a boost (more armor, hp, faster build time, etc.) won't this encourage players to use a newbie name? Are there any other online multiplayer games that use handicaps? PC gamers should expect when you start a new game you will be beaten, it is part of the challenge and the learning process, which imo . If you get beaten watch the replay and see what your opponents did, or where you went wrong. No reason to level the playing field for those who haven't invested time to learn the game. In chess should a player get 2 queens?

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

Quake 3 had a handicap setting for sure.

Prince Blueblood

Post by Prince Blueblood »

Battle Realms has resource related handicap, but then, most player will only play against those who put themselves at no handicap (normal), and even experienced players against newbie will merely put the experienced guy at "minor disadvantage"

Yes, Major disadvantage has their use on bragging rights match (such as Dragon clan, major disadvantage, against two or three normal Wolf enemies), but almost nobody except complete newbie play with "Advantage", since it gives you not only more money, but faster peasant regeneration...
OpenRA Nicks :
- Everything with "Blueblood" inside
- Yuelang (when I speak Chinese, literally)

My Ping might be Red... blame distance and my shitty connection due to which country I lived in...

r34ch

Post by r34ch »

newwe wrote: The best players generally make less static d then others, which to me means they definitely aren't 2x underpriced.
Good players don't build static defences because attack is the best form of defence.
Nuke + attack force > defences.

I agree with winftw, defences are too good at what they do for the price. If they were truly balanced, we would see more early and mid game tanks being built.

But we don't.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

r34ch wrote:
newwe wrote: The best players generally make less static d then others, which to me means they definitely aren't 2x underpriced.
Good players don't build static defences because attack is the best form of defence.
Nuke + attack force > defences.

I agree with winftw, defences are too good at what they do for the price. If they were truly balanced, we would see more early and mid game tanks being built.

But we don't.
Why not just make it so that all production is slowed down a certain fraction when defenses are being made?