Red Alert: Pacific Theater

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
epice

Red Alert: Pacific Theater

Post by epice »

Ok so someone make a new Red Alert expansion pack so we have an excuse to add new countries.

Add new countries USA, and Japan, and China)

USA: Service depot not required to unlock Med Tank/MCV, and gets a new unit "Battleship" just take the cruiser and beef it up with Flak cannons and sonar so its good in all naval situations.

Japan: GPS scrambler, which garbles up the tiles so you can't even see the terrain properly(when under fog of war). Plus an improved Yak, "Mitsu" that can fire on other aircraft and when its crashing will attempt to steer itself into enemy units/structures. Mig is not available.

What the heck does China get?

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

No.

"Service depot not required to unlock Med Tank/MCV"

No.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

And a double post just to make myself absolutely clear.

No.

Murto the Ray

Re: Red Alert: Pacific Theater

Post by Murto the Ray »

epicelite wrote: USA: Service depot not required to unlock Med Tank/MCV, and gets a new unit "Battleship" just take the cruiser and beef it up with Flak cannons and sonar so its good in all naval situations.
So what you are saying is; lets make USA the easiest faction to win with and make it OP in every way possible - hell, you may as well add in helis with infinite ammo and infinite guns and infinite life and can teleport and also can activate IC whenever they want and add a damage buff of 1000% to all friendly units within 1000 tiles.....

No.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

So far this idea is recieved poorly :)

newwe

Post by newwe »

This is actually a good idea (more factions) imo, just that the suggestions are very OP. China could get discounted infantry.

epice

Post by epice »

newwe wrote: This is actually a good idea (more factions) imo, just that the suggestions are very OP. China could get discounted infantry.
Ok how about like

USA:
-Production bonus without more factories?
-Battleship.

China:
-BOGO deal on (most) infantry. (is China allies or axis?)
-Horde bonus?

Or we should just have generals instead of countries?

Tesla General
-Double power from power plants
-Discount of Teals things

Tank General
-Cheaper Tanks

etc.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

And china could get "Propaganda boost". For some time all units get +X firepower or more health. It would have a cooler ofcourse.

USA: a money boost from oil and ore? (they are oiljunkies after all)
> Aircraft carrier as a special unit

Japan > I like the suicide planes!

But the question remains: what the hell would we give to the faction "The Netherlands"?

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

noobmapmaker wrote: But the question remains: what the hell would we give to the faction "The Netherlands"?
windmills :lol:

On a serious note though:
epicelite wrote:
Ok how about like

USA:
-Production bonus without more factories?
-Battleship.

China:
-BOGO deal on (most) infantry. (is China allies or axis?)
-Horde bonus?

etc.
I like the idea of china as another soviet faction; perhaps providing a lower price on units but with damage/health lowered as well. The horde bonus also sounds like a good idea.

The USA, imo, still sounds a bit op - i think for the things added in there needs to be something taken away such as the health of units or something to that effect. Accumulating units faster than another player sets you at a huge advantage if your units are the same quality as theirs.

raymundo

Post by raymundo »

In RA2 USA got paratroopers, this can be an interesting idea, also how about some kind of air force units or ability for USA...what if all air units got 25% speed increase for 15 seconds with 3 minute cooldown? Countries we can add: USA, Japan, China, Australia , India, Italy...

epice

Post by epice »

USA with more air power sounds cool.

Can build airfields and a new type of attack plane (P38?) and maybe a "Flying Fortress" it can circle and attack ground units like an specter gunship? Does the AC130 from C&C have full 360 frames I only remember it going left to right to drop stuff off.

You know that plane that has a big gun sticking out of the side and it flies in circles to shoot stuff? That's what I'm talking about.
If we wanna keep it easy though we could just give them an upgraded "Gunship" replacement for the Longbow, comes with missiles and a machine gun!

Gunship, and Flying Fortress superpower?

Or just make it so USA can build bombers and carpet bomb their enemies to death? Although that Ukrane has those already as a superpower.

Australia an island so how about a special shore cannon for anti-naval, and a sonar pulse superpower?

Ideas for other counties: terrain fully revealed at start, faster ore trucks/income bonus, bigger bounty from enemies destroyed, more range for weapons, double supwerwapons, bring the sniper back, Volkov?

Prince Blueblood

Post by Prince Blueblood »

if we look at how WW2 played...

Instead of Tank Advantage, US should actually have LESS access to Medium Tank (need Tech Center), or even No Access to Medium Tank, remember that US used to have shittiest tank in WW2 (only build better tanks in mid 1944... not quite noticeable since Japanese tanks is almost as shitty as US', and they adopt British design for European theatre).

To counterbalance that, give them APC (they actually have superior infantry numbers and mobility, thanks to oil, but well since cheaper infantry means OP early rush), as well as the sniper (Pacific war anyone).

I can't said much about China, since they're explicitly win the war with sheer overwhelming number of infantry, maybe they get shitty "Chinese Riflemen" who cost only $75, but have less health and or firepower. Maybe same with US, more or less, in this case, instead of Soviet Heavy Tank, they actually have "Allied" Light Tanks and no access to Mammoth tanks... Maybe scrap grenadiers for all soviet factions (who build them after early phase), and make them Chinese speciality as well...
OpenRA Nicks :
- Everything with "Blueblood" inside
- Yuelang (when I speak Chinese, literally)

My Ping might be Red... blame distance and my shitty connection due to which country I lived in...

squirrel

Post by squirrel »

I think that if this mod comes to life (well balanced and shit) it will destroy vanilla OpenRA, that´s for sure. Maybe we´re dreaming high, but imho, we still have a lot of job with vanilla RA... why bother with another mod?

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Murto the Ray wrote:
windmills :lol:
I think the infantry sould have clogs. Little yellow pixely clogs. When they move they can be heared rambling across the map. Also they should get a Dutch Courage cooler, doubling their strength and halving accuracy.

As a special unit I recommend cyclists. Only difference with infantry is their speed. As for the air I suggest the Joint Strike Fighter. An insanely expensive plane that is delivered only 30% of the time you build it. It has immense fire power and can takeoff vertically, but it will only respond to 30% of the orders and it can be taken down by any other airunit.

Buildings should get excellent design, so excellent that you can't really tell which building is which. When the techcenter is built the player should be able to research "Legalization". The technology slows down infantry with 50%, but from then on they also come out of the barracks in pairs. These infantry should be slightly less agressive and when resting in large groups near rivers they should organise a parade with boats.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

epicelite wrote: Ideas for other counties: terrain fully revealed at start, faster ore trucks/income bonus, bigger bounty from enemies destroyed, more range for weapons, double supwerwapons,
Did you even think these ideas through before you posted them?