How to make France more appealing for players

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
kyrylo

How to make France more appealing for players

Post by kyrylo »

I think everybody agrees that no-one plays as France. Currently, this faction is the weakest one, in my opinion. I have an idea how to make France more appealing. What if we kept the ability to build fake structures and allowed each Ally building mobile GAP generators? The second special ability of France would be building two Tanyas (Tanya twins :P) instead.

Do you think it would make France more appealing?

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

I've seen plenty of players play France; mostly because it allows them to create fake radar domes as to prevent the enemy from destroying the real one therefore stopping an arty push they are doing at that point. I think that its appealing as it is but players just haven't experimented enough to create any solid strategies yet.

PersianImmortal

Post by PersianImmortal »

France is my allied faction of choice. I use the fake radar to fake out the enemy when they're scouting so they think i'm going with a different build order and use it to protect my real one when I arty push.

JOo

Post by JOo »

funny , i just filed a ticket for the "mobile gap trucks" couple days ago ... cause they are not really better then the fixed gap ...

since the mobile gap truck is only used by france ... and its a faction special , we should tweak some values on the truck ...

https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/8112

so yes , i think france could need a little bit more love , but only on the truck

epice

Post by epice »

Shouldn't France have some kind of a surrender based bonus?

winftw

Post by winftw »

Fake tanks and fake infantry. :lol:

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

Maybe just take away the ability to create gap generators from other allied faction; that would surely make France a lot more valuable

JOo

Post by JOo »

allready done , no faction can build "gap trucks" (except france) ... only "fixed gaps" ... but this ends up gap trucks still no being worth to build , cause they are simply not worth it compared to the fixed version ...

anyway , other then "removing all gap tech" ... and only allow france to build it ... a better idea would be , to still allow every faction to build gaps ... but change the truck to do something else ... no creating shroud , but ...

i had some idea in the past ... to change the gap trucks ... and along with it the tesla-tank too , i closed it later on because nobody was really interested ...

the idea was , to extend the tesla-tank with a "emp-ability" ... (during reloading after a emp-blast you cant shoot) ... and on the other hand ... using the "mobile truck" as
lightning arrester ... so he is more resistent against lightning (absorb like 3-4 tesla zaps) and making it impossible to give another target for tesla-zaps ... when the truck is in range ... here the allready closed ticket ...

https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/6998
Last edited by JOo on Mon May 11, 2015 5:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

raymundo

Post by raymundo »

What about a small increase, maybe 10-15% more radius on the mobile gap generator?

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

JOo wrote: using the "mobile truck" as
lightning arrester ... so he is more resistent against lightning (absorb like 3-4 tesla zaps) and making it impossible to give another target for tesla-zaps
https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/6998
You mean a lightning rod?
JOo wrote: the idea was , to extend the tesla-tank with a "emp-ability" ... (during reloading after a emp-blast you cant shoot)
I like this idea however, would this effect friendly units? And do you plan to implement a price increase with this?

r34ch

Post by r34ch »

Murto the Ray wrote: I've seen plenty of players play France; mostly because it allows them to create fake radar domes as to prevent the enemy from destroying the real one therefore stopping an arty push they are doing at that point. I think that its appealing as it is but players just haven't experimented enough to create any solid strategies yet.
Er, place domes in your allies base instead??

JOo

Post by JOo »

@MuertoTheRay : no price increase , but effects also friendly units ... so you probably want to flank with your own tanks or whatever you may send afterwards ... this shouldnt effect aircraft of course ... so its still possible to take em out

and yes , i mean a lightning rod ...

these are ideas to discuss , not fully developed units right now ... we also may want to interact "Lightning Truck" with the Tesla Tanks EMP ...

the main-reason for this ability is to make fights more spicey

but we have to work out what exactly should get effected from a EMP ... without any exception ... (and by that i mean turrets includet) theres nothing left to defend ... except infantry and air-units ... this might be a little bit op for tesla tanks ...

but could also make the "Lightning Truck" catch this Emp ... and absorb ...

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

I could imagine some walking or pepper-potting tactics coming from this; i like anything that makes battles more diverse and......
JOo wrote: spicey

epice

Post by epice »

What if France had La Resistance reveal the location of important enemy structures? Wouldn't be as useful after you get a GPS up though.
Structures such as, Construction Yard, Weapons Factories, Iron Curtain/Chronosphere, Nuke Silos.

KonshusKeboobZionist

Post by KonshusKeboobZionist »

France?

:roll:

What about an aircraft carrier that can't quit the harbour? That would fit reality...