How to make France more appealing for players

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
JOo

Post by JOo »

@dzine : what you refer to is "Megan"

according to "Ishmael" its cut content https://web.archive.org/web/20090605035 ... 40&p=18217&

the idea was to have one gunslinger (tanya) and one bomb-expert (megan) both for allies ...

i would not trust the source of one person ... just because someone is writing something in a forum , doesnt mean theres actually truth behind it (who he is , what he did ...and so on)

second , its cut content and has not been confirmed by canon sources (the wiki page is giving a hint to that)

... altough it would be easy to modify a tanya to have red , slightly longer hair ... we would need a icon that fits ... which we dont have

and the last one , and pretty much the hardest obstacle ... you would need to get this idea past pchote ...although i can tell you , he would not like it ... cause pchote (initially with me) did hound out all the foreign content ... like the snipers for example ... and currently represents a solid "no custom Art for our main mods" opinion ... in terms of "new unit content"
we have rare exceptions , the Flak Truck for example , which helps to balance the soviet-allies game ...

PersianImmortal

Post by PersianImmortal »

SoScared wrote: https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/9730

I like these changes! Fake structures will be better concealed with a clever health bar that drops like a real structure. This encourages the deception plays that I've hoped for, and actually witnessed some players try out lately. Also a big health buff to the fake Nuke Silo and Chrono (pdox?) will make France very tech resilient in the late-game.
Soviets are garbage late game. Last thing the allies need is to be even better late game imo.

scorp

Post by scorp »

JOo wrote:
and the last one , and pretty much the hardest obstacle ... you would need to get this idea past pchote ...although i can tell you , he would not like it ... cause pchote (initially with me) did hound out all the foreign content ... like the snipers for example ... and currently represents a solid "no custom Art for our main mods" opinion ... in terms of "new unit content"
we have rare exceptions , the Flak Truck for example , which helps to balance the soviet-allies game ...
That same flak truck that has completely changed the entire soviets vehicle gameplay? A mere exception? Canon has been dropped way back in OpenRa Red alert main mod, which makes it hard to argue convincingly against whatever weird suggestions to change balance, add new gameplay features or custom units. Either be consistent and hound out the flak truck too, as well as asigning certain units to other factions than in orginal Red Alert or drop the entire "no foreign content" argument which is untenable if we look at the OpenRa red alert main mod. Custom art is not welcome (except flak truck) but all kinds of custom features? :?

Or, split up two mods. a red alert mod that follows more closely the original game and one with all kinds of non-canon stuff tacked onto it. But the current OpenRa seems to neither follow one nor the other design concept. Thus you'll regullarly get suggestions for new units of all kinds.

squirrel

Post by squirrel »

Buff the Ranger vehicle for France to function like a Pillbox with -20% damage (imagine a rocket soldier inside a Ranger, like a Hummvee from Generals, cool)