How to make France more appealing for players

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
epice

Post by epice »

French spies are able to place explosives! Not as good as Tony's C4 but maybe capable of taking out weaker buildings like power plant and barracks?

the-zoidberger

Post by the-zoidberger »

epicelite wrote: French spies are able to place explosives! Not as good as Tony's C4 but maybe capable of taking out weaker buildings like power plant and barracks?
That a really interesting idea!

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

epicelite wrote: French spies are able to place explosives! Not as good as Tony's C4 but maybe capable of taking out weaker buildings like power plant and barracks?
Seems like something that belongs with the England faction. Supplementary powers and units shouldn't be too similar as to produce interesting gameplay. I suggest that France should be able to disguise more than just spies or they should be able to create fake units and/or defenses since deception is their theme.

kyrylo

Post by kyrylo »

Murto the Ray wrote: I suggest that France should be able to disguise more than just spies or they should be able to create fake units and/or defenses since deception is their theme.
Perhaps, add Snipers back?

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

kyrylo wrote:
Murto the Ray wrote: Snip
I like this, it would encourage more armored play as snipers could be used as anti-inf instead of arty!

Gatekeeper

Post by Gatekeeper »

Murto the Ray wrote:
kyrylo wrote:
Murto the Ray wrote: Snip
I like this, it would encourage more armored play as snipers could be used as anti-inf instead of arty!
This could also double as an anti shocktrooper tactic, making france a good counter to russia.

FiveAces

Post by FiveAces »

I actually really like the idea of giving France the snipers! Not sure how the devs feel about it, though.

klaas

Post by klaas »

I really liked the sniper unit, and I think its a shame it's gone in the curent release. I think giving it to France is an exellent idea.

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

I gave it a shot: OpenRA/OpenRA#9747

Novastar

Post by Novastar »

Fake structures were enhanced and now don't show that they are fake if just one attack was made on them.
github OpenRA #9730

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Novastar wrote: Fake structures were enhanced and now don't show that they are fake if just one attack was made on them.
github OpenRA #9730
Well, I think that France then in fact is an interesting Faction for a solid player to play with. Its traits are a bit less straight forward then the others are, but good players probably can be very annoying when they use fake buildings and their bases are hidden in shroud.
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

klaas

Post by klaas »

noobmapmaker wrote:
Novastar wrote: Fake structures were enhanced and now don't show that they are fake if just one attack was made on them.
github OpenRA #9730
Well, I think that France then in fact is an interesting Faction for a solid player to play with. Its traits are a bit less straight forward then the others are, but good players probably can be very annoying when they use fake buildings and their bases are hidden in shroud.
I don't think fake structures are very appealing, ever, for good players. The problem with fake structures is that when they become usefull, you are allready defending against attacks. A good player knows that games are rarely won while defending, so clearly a special trait that can be usefull in offence will trump defencive ones like fake buildings.

The same is true for walls and silos and loads of base defence: the higher the level of play, the more you'll see people focus on expanding, getting more recourses and offence, and the less players focus on defence.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

True that, but when playing versus other strong players or in teamgames defending is inevitable.

I agree that a bit more spice is needed. The wording gives me an idea: french harvesters carry +50 ore!
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

noobmapmaker wrote: I agree that a bit more spice is needed. The wording gives me an idea: french harvesters carry +50 ore!
The time taken for the harvester to harvest that bit of ore would immediately make this not worth it and have little to no impact on a game. I think we should stay away from editing any basic mechanics or units when implementing a faction's specializations as those kind of things can change the game drastically.

Perhaps just having an extra tab for fake buildings would be nice so that they don't get in the way of your defense queue.

Also, a naval unit is an avenue that hasn't been explored yet.

FiveAces

Post by FiveAces »

If snipers prove to be a balance issue as a mass-produced unit, how about having them as a support power?
Helipad as a prerequisite, 4 minute cooldown to deploy a team of 2 snipers onto the battlefield (dropped from a chinook, anywhere on the map)?
That would turn them into more of a strategic element.
I'm not a fan of raw statistical increases as a faction trait, and this would add to the gameplay imo.