How to make France more appealing for players

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
zinc

Re: How to make France more appealing for players

Post by zinc »

Wasn't there an idea for "advanced gap generators" that got dumped?

You could have cheaper/faster build gap generators.

You could have a faster gps satellite launch, so maybe 5 minutes compared to the standard 8 minutes.

Maybe a French Chinook that can carry 12 rather than 8?

epice

Post by epice »

Just make the fucking MGG cheaper.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

The recently added "Enemy Detected" is a bit to sensitive so it seems :) It goes off alot and in my opinion this takes away much of the surprise. Before a unit could silently walk through an area that the opponent can see (and hope he doesnt see it on the radar or is whatching elsewhere). If you do it now an alarm goes off and your unit will get detected. It takes away alot of sneaking...

Perhaps France can get the "Enemy Detected" as an extra?

zinc

Post by zinc »

noobmapmaker wrote: If you do it now an alarm goes off and your unit will get detected. It takes away alot of sneaking...
Yeah seems wrong to me. "your base is under attack" is enough.

Prince Blueblood

Post by Prince Blueblood »

noobmapmaker wrote: The recently added "Enemy Detected" is a bit to sensitive so it seems :) It goes off alot and in my opinion this takes away much of the surprise. Before a unit could silently walk through an area that the opponent can see (and hope he doesnt see it on the radar or is whatching elsewhere). If you do it now an alarm goes off and your unit will get detected. It takes away alot of sneaking...

Perhaps France can get the "Enemy Detected" as an extra?
Yeah, Enemy detected kinda making sneaking some guys through the map border downright impossible now UNLESS you also sent some distractions, and that means the silly trolling tactics of sending grenadiers early on to harass enemy buildings later is downright impossible to pull...
OpenRA Nicks :
- Everything with "Blueblood" inside
- Yuelang (when I speak Chinese, literally)

My Ping might be Red... blame distance and my shitty connection due to which country I lived in...

zoidyberg

Post by zoidyberg »

Prince Blueblood wrote:
noobmapmaker wrote: trolling tactics of sending grenadiers early on to harass enemy buildings later is downright impossible to pull...
Pillbox or RageQuit. Either is fine in this case :)

fernoe

Post by fernoe »

maybe the mobile gap generator should be a mobile cloak generator, although that might make french tech feel a bit too much like britain's tech

Prince Blueblood

And fake nuke / fake CY / fake lab / fake radar is actually far more useful than most may think already... Especially fake nuke...

Because everyone will think that the heavily defended one at the edge of the map is the real one, nobody bat an eye with the real silo who just get thrown somewhere near the ore field...
OpenRA Nicks :

My Ping might be Red... blame distance and my shitty connection due to which country I lived in...

deniz1a

Post by deniz1a »

This engine change will make gap generators work when shroud is disabled in the lobby.
https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/8792

So mobile gap gens will also work.

Prince Blueblood

deniz1a wrote: This engine change will make gap generators work when shroud is disabled in the lobby.
https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/8792

So mobile gap gens will also work.
Honestly, unless there's an artillery vs artillery stalemate, I didn't usually build Gap Generator...

And when used right, Fake Structures could change the game even more
OpenRA Nicks :

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Another 3 ideas for France:

- quicker repair of buildings
- units more vision (or only naval units more vision, or air)
- a nuke with a bigger radius of damage (not harder damage, but more spread out. 2 dimenional example: if the current damage is: 1-1-2-3-2-1-1 then make it 1-1-1-2-2-3-2-2-1-1-1)

With the extra gap generatorstuff ofcourse.
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

Novastar

Post by Novastar »

Bigger radius nuke is too much. That would make the nuke so much more powerful. It's already pretty devastating, but with bigger radius this would annihilate every enemy base without a second look.

And yes, Fake structures are better if people know how to use them. Just try them yourself against some enemies. But yes, in my opinion the structures should not reveal that they're fake just by one shot from a rifle man. Let them have the same health points and armor as the real structure, but then get destroyed if they reach, for example, 75% health. That was a great idea and would fit more the "fake" aspect.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

well a +10% radius may not be so gamedeciding.

But your redesign of fake structures seem good to me!
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

Christian

Post by Christian »

Nukes are already too good as they are now imo, so making it even stronger is not a good idea. So even now I think that nukes often matter too much and the spread out damage is too high. Not sure about what to do with France but the Mobile Gap Generator could use a price reduction, it might not change much but it´s better than doing nothing.

Gatekeeper

Post by Gatekeeper »

Just a random idea:

Maybe give france OP civilians? or give them the ability to train infantry that look like civilians but are in fact very powerful? Hinting at the destructive power of the GLA's angry mobs from C&C Generals.