Iron Curtain

A 2v2 map

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
kyrylo

Iron Curtain

Post by kyrylo »

Iron Curtain is a 2v2 map similar to the eponymous map from StarCraft 1. I have already played a couple of games here and enjoyed the experience. The feedback from players was also positive.

Download link: http://resource.openra.net/maps/2984
Attachments
snapshot37.png
snapshot37.png (588.78 KiB) Viewed 6619 times

raymundo

Post by raymundo »

nice map! I look forward to trying it.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

Placement of ore piles and oil derricks encourage expansive and interesting play! Especially towards the center of the map; would recommend playing.

hotze

Post by hotze »

Played a few games. It's a very enjoyable 2v2 map. Probably your best map so far.

Prince Blueblood

Post by Prince Blueblood »

I suggest reduce the ores on corner spawnpoints. 4 ore spawners in immediate range of MCV means they didn't need as much expansion as the other spawnpoints (who have only 2)
OpenRA Nicks :
- Everything with "Blueblood" inside
- Yuelang (when I speak Chinese, literally)

My Ping might be Red... blame distance and my shitty connection due to which country I lived in...

kyrylo

Post by kyrylo »

Prince Blueblood wrote: I suggest reduce the ores on corner spawnpoints. 4 ore spawners in immediate range of MCV means they didn't need as much expansion as the other spawnpoints (who have only 2)
That's by design. The idea is that the player with less ore must play more aggressively (proceeding to the center).

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Expanding is fun a the strategy of the better player, BUT... if it means you will lose if you will not expand then I think the map limits the possibilities.

Prince Blueblood

Post by Prince Blueblood »

noobmapmaker wrote: Expanding is fun a the strategy of the better player, BUT... if it means you will lose if you will not expand then I think the map limits the possibilities.
unless this map is specifically flagged as team or handicap map ;)

2 vs 2 is good, the problem is when we go FFA
OpenRA Nicks :
- Everything with "Blueblood" inside
- Yuelang (when I speak Chinese, literally)

My Ping might be Red... blame distance and my shitty connection due to which country I lived in...

r34ch

Post by r34ch »

Just played this - I like it. You can tell this was inspired by SC (a good thing imho, oRA needs more competitive maps)

The expansions are cool and the ore isn't plastered everywhere. Economy is a nice pace for players in the moat. The choke points nicely break up the map while letting air (and chrono) flank. The choke point ore rewards aggressive mid expansion while also blocking MCVs from clogging up the choke points.

That said, I feel the corners have a larger advantage and the map is a little unbalanced in its current state.
kyrylo wrote: That's by design. The idea is that the player with less ore must play more aggressively (proceeding to the center).
A player who chooses corners can rush top/bottom choke and fall back to safely expand to the original 6 mines. A player who spawns in the moat can do the exact same thing, except they fall back to 4 mines.

This economy advantage (1/3 of possible economy = 2 entire mines) basically means the corner player has to support the moat player; LvR the corner player vs the moat player. But If you get a dud teammate in corners, you have a much greater chance of loosing compared maps with equal economy.

Corners also has a defensive advantage with only having two vectors of attack vs moat which has three vectors of attack, yet still gets the economy advantage too.
Prince Blueblood wrote: I suggest reduce the ores on corner spawnpoints
I agree each spawn should have only two. The moat spawn should keep the extra oil derrick because of the fact it can be attacked from three directions.

If you want people to push mid aggressively - reward them. Depletable ore in the chokes isn't much incentive compared to an ore mine in there too.