TD balance thread

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
maceman

Post by maceman »

Yea but custom build times just seem like a horrible hack to me. Build time should just be based on cost imo. Anyway I wanted to stop getting involved with this so I'm gonna shut up now :)

Beans

Post by Beans »

maceman wrote: Yea but custom build times just seem like a horrible hack to me. Build time should just be based on cost imo. Anyway I wanted to stop getting involved with this so I'm gonna shut up now :)[/quo

Theres no harm in testing it your way. Ive spoken to a couple of other people and they support price increae not build time only so i'll concede.

Mesacer

Post by Mesacer »

I will post this here also, i have posted this on the balancing PR that AoAGeneral made on github.

The future
So moving forward from this, GDave, AoAGeneral and I had a talk about this and came to the conclusion that I will help with the balancing, mostly with the technical part but also with communication with the community.

Transparency
We have to come to conclusions that we need to be a bit more transparent and communicate our intentions with the community.

Involvement
One positive thing I want to keep from this is the involvement from the community. I would even like to see even more involvement from the community, with testing and coming with ideas / suggestions. It would be cool if people posted stuff like this:

“I think x should be changed because of y, look at this replay. What are your thoughts?â€

Or

“I don't agree with these changes because of x, look at this replay“

ZxGanon

Post by ZxGanon »

Tried already but nobody of the TD community does care about posting anything on Github.

AoAGeneral1

Re: TD balance thread

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

They can post in any section they want. Posting in the forums here is fine as often times I will set a link of the PR in the forums itself for them to read.

New maps up with some smaller changes for playtest when its released. MSAM damage increase from 50 to 90. AGT spread damage reduction from 683 to 383. Repair costs are 0.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l0ht6cjmhbwwh ... t.zip?dl=0

Mainly this means MSAMs will have a larger splash damage and AGTs have a smaller splash damage. These numbers are greatly adjusted mainly to see what affects these will have.

Beans

Re:

Post by Beans »

Mesacer wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 11:28 am
I will post this here also, i have posted this on the balancing PR that AoAGeneral made on github.

The future
So moving forward from this, GDave, AoAGeneral and I had a talk about this and came to the conclusion that I will help with the balancing, mostly with the technical part but also with communication with the community.

Transparency
We have to come to conclusions that we need to be a bit more transparent and communicate our intentions with the community.

Involvement
One positive thing I want to keep from this is the involvement from the community. I would even like to see even more involvement from the community, with testing and coming with ideas / suggestions. It would be cool if people posted stuff like this:

“I think x should be changed because of y, look at this replay. What are your thoughts?â€

Or

“I don't agree with these changes because of x, look at this replay“
Mesacer, thanks for that post, it is all very positive and hopefully will encourage more people to contribute.

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

From what i've seen people creep their original MCV towards the opponent.

If the majority like these maps that encourage that play changing up the cost of defences i doubt will make much difference. Wall spam and static gun lines will still be favourable.

Of all the games i've played and seen, TD gives me the impression that army micro is key to winning but yet maps don't allow flanking as much. Hence many RA players calling it a weird game.

But that can only be taken as opinion from someone who just plays team games and irregularly.

Eagle XI

Post by Eagle XI »

Need to change airstrike power to:
Not always come from left side of map. This screws player who happent to have base on left side of map hard as barely have any time to react. Ideally they would use position of using players conyard to target location angle like in most Gen:Zh mods.
The planes to come in sequence like GDI airstrike in RenX. First comes central plane, then enters plane 2, then plane 3. Distance and microtiming between planes set up such that their firepower doesnt ball up to an mini-nuke.

Mesacer

Post by Mesacer »

Eagle XI wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:51 am
Not always come from left side of map. This screws player who happent to have base on left side of map hard as barely have any time to react. Ideally they would use position of using players conyard to target location angle like in most Gen:Zh mods.
The planes to come in sequence like GDI airstrike in RenX. First comes central plane, then enters plane 2, then plane 3. Distance and microtiming between planes set up such that their firepower doesnt ball up to an mini-nuke.
The current version of Airstrike is random direction, not always from the left side.

I'm working on changing this to let the player choose the direction for the approach.
See: https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/15226

Eagle XI

Post by Eagle XI »

Mesacer wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:27 pm
Eagle XI wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:51 am
The current version of Airstrike is random direction, not always from the left side.

I'm working on changing this to let the player choose the direction for the approach.
See: https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/15226
Ah, sorry. It must have randomly decided to come from left across 3 different maps i had been playing, talk about bad luck.

Beans

Post by Beans »

AGT still needs nerfy, the spam is becoming pillboxy.

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

Is this in regards to 3v3+ or 1v1 games?

Post by 010010 »

So i am back here in the forum. Last night i had a Teamgame with normal players and MLRS AGT Spam became a hugh number. and it were just one guy. He made a second mcv and spammed AGTs + MLRS with some Tanks and a bit inf. He were backmoving into the AGT line his MLRS all the time, because my hugh dumb inf blobs were dealing it when he came closer to me. Not the time or chance for a real attack.
What i mean is. He were blocking the game for dynamic gameplay like blocking ref or WF. 900$ MLRS is not the deal depends on how you can make mcvs on spamming maps when you play with GDI agains Nod.

Other point is Stank are realy useless. You have to spam 100 stanks. Moving close to some rifles means instand 80 damage and right dead agains nothing. Give Stanks now Heavy armor. They are so lategame and rare to use. Also Rifles can beat it easy. Makes the counterplay agains GDI much harder to do anything. Shielding Stanks with ltanks is meeded and not working in normal games. Not enough Money.

Well OpenRA is pure inf Spam in all mods. Makes much Fun.
When someone is say it isnt. He will die apart.

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

Does this also apply to 1v1s?

Mesacer

Post by Mesacer »

010010 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:41 am
So i am back here in the forum. Last night i had a Teamgame with normal players and MLRS AGT Spam became a hugh number. and it were just one guy. He made a second mcv and spammed AGTs + MLRS with some Tanks and a bit inf. He were backmoving into the AGT line his MLRS all the time, because my hugh dumb inf blobs were dealing it when he came closer to me. Not the time or chance for a real attack.
What i mean is. He were blocking the game for dynamic gameplay like blocking ref or WF. 900$ MLRS is not the deal depends on how you can make mcvs on spamming maps when you play with GDI agains Nod.

Other point is Stank are realy useless. You have to spam 100 stanks. Moving close to some rifles means instand 80 damage and right dead agains nothing. Give Stanks now Heavy armor. They are so lategame and rare to use. Also Rifles can beat it easy. Makes the counterplay agains GDI much harder to do anything. Shielding Stanks with ltanks is meeded and not working in normal games. Not enough Money.

Well OpenRA is pure inf Spam in all mods. Makes much Fun.
When someone is say it isnt. He will die apart.
Could you upload this replay?