TD balance thread

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

Yea that is something ive overlooked several times over. Its a good reminder. I will make a seperate note on this to have it buffed.

Currently the HP on the bridges is to small and you are correct that they are avoided on map making. So help with this im thinking of increasing the HP to around 1000 or 2000 with an armor change. RA suffers the same issue as well if im not mistakened so making the PR I may make a suggestion to the devs if this could be a change effect for ORA itself over all.

But to answer simply no it should not be melting to minigunners.

STUKA

Post by STUKA »

The bridges are narrow too, cant you get the wider RA bridges in TD by default?

anjew

Post by anjew »

STUKA wrote: The bridges are narrow too, cant you get the wider RA bridges in TD by default?
Was those bridges in Decay wider? I think they might even be the RA bridges. So mappers can utilise those but unless someone goes through all the previous maps and edits the bridges, sadly those bridges are gunna stay the same. Also adding in a wider bridge default may fuck with maps, like NUKEBAIT

It probably could be brought over but its not a simple copy and paste, it would have to go through the same process, or at least a similiar process, as the supply truck since the palettes are not the same and TD has a different view angle.

STUKA

Post by STUKA »

Yeh, I understand that going through every map to replace the bridges is a bad idea. I was more aiming at the implementation of the wider bridges in the map editor, to have those in there by default instead of getting them from the RA editor. Just spewing ideas :)

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

The following will be in the next playtest:

Engineer movement speed reduced to 48 from 56.

Helicopter crash damage increased to 100 from 40.

Rocket infantry damage vs none reduced to 20 from 30.

Orca damage vs none reduced to 30 from 50.

--------

The following below is in the current playtest:

Orca damage increased from 25 to 28.

Apache ammo reload reduced from 200 to 40.

Apache ammo reload amount reduced from 10 to 1.

Sam now fires two missiles. (CNC95)

Sam range increase from 8c0 to 10c0.

Sam range limit from 9c614 to 12c0.

Humvee damag vs light increased from 50 to 55.

Crates got some love.

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

Bridges have been buffed. Minigunners won't burn bridges down extremely quickly now.

Bridges HP increased from 500 to 600.

Bridges now have heavy armor instead of none.

STUKA

Post by STUKA »

How about giving the supply truck some passenger capacity? It is a truck after all...

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

Its possible but I would limit the truck to one passenger since I don't want it to be an APC type of unit. (Despite its lack of armor and etc.) But I also don't want Nod to have the APC capabilities. Still, I could look into giving it a single passenger.

UPDATE:

I did some test games with the truck and at this moment im not really liking the idea of having it a passenger at this moment. (Maybe after release).

Main biggest reason why is because you can use the truck on your own refinery and get the refund of it back. Which means you can build a couple of trucks for engineer plays. Drop them off and then cash them back out. (Not entirely for base raiding mind you but to get to oil derricks on bigger maps and other situations.)

Specially since the truck is open tech after construction of the airstrip/war factory and the APC needs a barracks to build.

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

(Link removed. Will be updated once up)

New playtest up. Grab it up above.

Added in the new playtest:

Engineer movement speed reduced to 48 from 56.

Helicopter crash damage increased to 100 from 40.

Rocket infantry damage vs none reduced to 20 from 30.

Orca damage vs none reduced to 30 from 50.

Bridges have been buffed. Minigunners won't burn bridges down extremely quickly now.

Bridges HP increased from 500 to 600.

Bridges now have heavy armor instead of none.
Last edited by AoAGeneral1 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

Please note that that playtest was scrapped because of a silly mistake in the RA mod. TD should work fine, but there will be no official servers or release announcements for that build.

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

There is a possibility that vehicles in TD might spawn a minigunner on vehicles death. Which was in the original CNC95 as well. Still looking into some of the possible scenarios and the only possible one I can think of is having the minigunner being shot at while moving from the husk which could potentially kill the husk quickly.

If this is a problem an easy fix would be to increase the husk HP so they take more hits to kill.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

Wouldn't it be easier to just remove the spawning? That feature was broken for a long time without anybody noticing, and was only now accidentally and unintentionally fixed.

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

It actually was never in TD. Was just curious if adding them in would be a good idea. But deciding to go into this idea later on in the future.

New playtest is up. No additional new changes for TD was made. Anything that needs to be adjusted or balanced make it known here.

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

From GDave at github:

"previously you wanted to change the TD engi to timer capture because you claimed they were not viable in 1v1. On each occasion, that was poorly received by most players.

Now you claim that engis are too strong because of hitshapes. They really aren't. They're fine.

I realise that you played and enjoyed games in the series that did feature timer capture (CnC3?). The same isn't true for others. We must maintain mod differentiation, as per the OpenRA roadmap: "OpenRA should retain the feel and nostalgia of the older games, but remove the frustrating and dated elements."

------

That is actually the purpose of the engineer change at the bottom quote. Make it less frustrating for players. There has been github tickets created by players in the past wishing to have some sort of warning about engineers capturing structures since they are near instant with a double capture.

Initially this is correct. Since single shape hitboxes ment engineers running to the center you can sell the structure or move the MCV and prevent a capture. With the hitboxes they are now capturing structures MUCH faster then 1 second. Even worse for guard tower placements to do a quick counter now compared to single hitbox.

The games played I have used the engineers in 1v1 and team games in the playtest versions and it has now become a deadly force. Granted, if a player manages to sell or move the MCV then it generates that 1k loss.

These things however is something to be looked into after release as well as other ideas.

Major Kusanagi Motoko

guard tower and cannon turrets

Post by Major Kusanagi Motoko »

playtest: 2017_09_02
Map: Blood and Sand by Zaqzorn.

Issue:
guard tower area of effect and cannon turret damage "combined" vs other defense structures or armored units.

the issues are happening along the front lines in this FFA between players
Bong and Symbols (aka. Nikto) (middle, right side parts of the map).
Attachments
Massive ION.rar
(1002.01 KiB) Downloaded 189 times