Winter Storm: a new duel map

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
kyrylo

Winter Storm: a new duel map

Post by kyrylo »

This is adaptation of the StarCraft map called Blue Storm.

Download link: http://resource.openra.net/maps/2808/

CHANGELOG

v1
  • Initial release
Attachments
snapshot26.png
snapshot26.png (424.51 KiB) Viewed 8081 times

newwe

Post by newwe »

Thanks for the effort kyrylo. I only played the one game on it and had fun despite it not being a competitive match. Seems like bottom has a slight advantage due to bottom docking ore refineries. Definitely choky too unfortunately. I have a feeling if played well it will come down to a tech/abomb race.

newwe

Post by newwe »

newwe wrote: Thanks for the effort kyrylo. I only played the one game on it and had fun despite it not being a competitive match. Seems like bottom has a slight advantage due to bottom docking ore refineries. Definitely choky too unfortunately. I have a feeling if played well it will come down to a tech/abomb race.
I did just get beat twice by a very good non-tech'er, although I'm not sure I played all that well.

kyrylo

Post by kyrylo »

newwe wrote:
newwe wrote: Thanks for the effort kyrylo. I only played the one game on it and had fun despite it not being a competitive match. Seems like bottom has a slight advantage due to bottom docking ore refineries. Definitely choky too unfortunately. I have a feeling if played well it will come down to a tech/abomb race.
I did just get beat twice by a very good non-tech'er, although I'm not sure I played all that well.
In both games he captured middle. He also had good intel with his hinds and controlled all the map in both games. It would've been interesting to see your army flanking his base in the middle. This is something he wasn't expecting. Good games, I enjoyed watching them.

newwe

Post by newwe »

kyrylo wrote:
newwe wrote:
In both games he captured middle. He also had good intel with his hinds and controlled all the map in both games. It would've been interesting to see your army flanking his base in the middle. This is something he wasn't expecting. Good games, I enjoyed watching them.
Yeah first game he basically cut me off from the whole map, I made the mistake of letting him get established in that spot right near my base instead of attacking it more aggressively. 2nd game, he spammed MCVs which seems like a good strat on this map, got control as you said and won the base battles b/c he can build faster. Tough to flank on this map and even 1 AAgun basically shuts down hinds.

kyrylo

Post by kyrylo »

newwe wrote: Yeah first game he basically cut me off from the whole map, I made the mistake of letting him get established in that spot right near my base instead of attacking it more aggressively. 2nd game, he spammed MCVs which seems like a good strat on this map, got control as you said and won the base battles b/c he can build faster. Tough to flank on this map and even 1 AAgun basically shuts down hinds.
He didn't have a construction yard at his main base (the one you nuked in the second game) and you could've sneaked in there. There were power plants, ore refineries and a service depot. Completely unprotected :)

newwe

Post by newwe »

kyrylo wrote:
newwe wrote: Yeah first game he basically cut me off from the whole map, I made the mistake of letting him get established in that spot right near my base instead of attacking it more aggressively. 2nd game, he spammed MCVs which seems like a good strat on this map, got control as you said and won the base battles b/c he can build faster. Tough to flank on this map and even 1 AAgun basically shuts down hinds.
He didn't have a construction yard at his main base (the one you nuked in the second game) and you could've sneaked in there. There were power plants, ore refineries and a service depot. Completely unprotected :)
Getting there is the problem + I was facing constant threats at my bases. But enough about those games, I'd like to hear other's thoughts on the map. I still think there should be an indicator of the openings in the map preview.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Replays or it hasnt happened! :)

Tonight Im going to play some games and like to watch some fun games. SO if you guys can upload some games played on these new maps then that would be great!

kyrylo

Post by kyrylo »

noobmapmaker wrote: Replays or it hasnt happened! :)

Tonight Im going to play some games and like to watch some fun games. SO if you guys can upload some games played on these new maps then that would be great!
Here you go.
Attachments
newwe_winter_storm.zip
(571.11 KiB) Downloaded 244 times

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Thanks!

Maybe after some time you want to post a bunch of the games that are played on your maps in the replaythread?

Also note on which maps they are played because otherwise well see "unknown map"

http://www.sleipnirstuff.com/forum/view ... 82&t=16989

squirrel

Post by squirrel »

I think people like to play 1v1 maps in sizes like "Keep off the Grass" (little square) or "Singles" (moderate rectangle) That´s some case of trend IDK.

By the way (slightly off topic) I think that Ore Refineries having ore patches facing south of them gives an small advantage (ore per minute). I see this problem in "Keep of the Grass 2" due to imperfect positioning of the north ore patch. The bottom guy with ore facing south will have the advantage.