OpenRA needs a Quick Build feature!

ala Red Alert 2

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Chubzdoomer

OpenRA needs a Quick Build feature!

Post by Chubzdoomer »

Red Alert 2 had this handy feature in which once a building had been constructed, you could simply press the hotkey corresponding to its tab (Q for regular, W for defenses) in order to place it. I'm not sure what its official name was, but I've always called it the "Quick Build" feature.

The Quick Build method is significantly quicker and easier than the one featured in OpenRA in which you must first switch over to the correct tab, then either click on the building's portrait or press the corresponding F-key in order to place it.

Both methods have their pros and cons:

Red Alert 2
+ Faster to place buildings (Quick Build)
- Slower to start constructing buildings (no hotkeys)

OpenRA
+ Faster to start constructing buildings (hotkeys)
- Slower to place buildings (no Quick Build)

So why not give us the best of both worlds? Keep the F-key system, but allow us to quickly select (and place) "finished" buildings via the Quick Build method!

I hope this will be considered for a future build, because it would make the gameplay even more fluid and intuitive than it currently is.
Last edited by Chubzdoomer on Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gordon228

Post by Gordon228 »

so you hate to press q+f1 to build a power plant?

Chubzdoomer

Post by Chubzdoomer »

Gordon228 wrote: so you hate to press q+f1 to build a power plant?
That's fine for starting construction, but it's slower than simply pressing E (or whatever the tab's hotkey is) in order to place a fully-constructed building.

Also, consider that some buildings call for you to press F9-F12 in order to construct/place them. Unless you have three hands, at that point it'd be quicker (and more comfortable) to just click the building's portrait to start constructing it, then press E to place it once it's finished.

I can't think of any drawbacks to this system. You would still have the F-keys for starting construction, but it would be quicker and easier to place finished buildings.

DrJones

Post by DrJones »

I agree, this is a nifty little feature from RA2 which I miss a bit, it's not a big deal but would help a bit in efficient construction times

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Definitely a +1 for this. RA on the PlayStation had a 'repeat last build' control which -- when the last build was a structure -- would select the finished building for placement without having to fool around with the sidebar. While something like this is hardly a vital feature, it is pretty convenient to be able to quick select stuff like this if you're trying to concentrate on something else.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Post your wish at http://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA so we don't forget.

Chubzdoomer

Post by Chubzdoomer »

Cmd. Matt wrote: Post your wish at http://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA so we don't forget.
Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with Github. Do I post my request under Pull Requests?

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

Chubzdoomer

Post by Chubzdoomer »

abcdefg30 wrote: At "Issues", please. :)
https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/new
Done!