Arty+AA+Base walking....

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Stensie

Arty+AA+Base walking....

Post by Stensie »

First of all, i want to say that i am really enjoying this game for almost a year now.

But i'm getting sick and tired of artillery when i'm playing sovjet. It is just unfair, basewalking, AA, couple of infantry and some artillery and you have a big chance of winning the game against sovjet.

I know, balancing is a never ending story in every game but i just feel like that if you place 2 players with the same skill against eachother, 1 allied and 1 sovjet, the allied forces will always win.

r34ch

Post by r34ch »

As a newbie player I am struggling to understand the proper counter to hinds / arty / rocket soldiers as soviet myself.

It seems yaks are a must for FoV and anti inf, but they only seem to be useful as kamikaze units, often killing 1 infantry soldier with a burst of its guns and then wiping out a squad in the impact.

I guess V2s are the counter to artys and flak trucks for mopping up everything in between?

zoidyberg

Post by zoidyberg »

These types of players are usually one trick ponies who push all their resources to the front and leave wide open holes in the back of their bases.

A few well-placed demo trucks do wonders to deter basewalkers.

Using an iron curtain with 5 mammoths is a nice way to take out the AA's so your yaks can do their job.

Load up 5 APCs with shock troopers and rocket guys, Iron Curtain the APCs, and then scatter them throughout the enemy's base. If they're busy rebuilding AA's, they can't build pillboxes and Tanya can only be in one place at a time.

Knock out their tech tree (Radar Dome, Tech Center). No radar dome - no arties. No Tech center - no nukes.

Take your yaks and hammer their power plants. Most players don't keep enough power in reserves. No power - no AA's & no production.

If they only have 2 ore factories, knocking both of them out at once can be effective.

load a demo truck or two into a transport, iron curtain the transport, and them drop it into the back of their base. Follow-up with a wave of yaks.

zinc

Re: Arty+AA+Base walking....

Post by zinc »

On a smaller map I think it's a real thing for 1 v 1 games. Iron curtain works but that needs getting the tech.

PersianImmortal

Post by PersianImmortal »

zinc wrote: On a smaller map I think it's a real thing for 1 v 1 games. Iron curtain works but that needs getting the tech.
When an allied player is trying to basewalk you to death as soviet what I do is basewalk back and try to take advantage of the strengths of the soviets which means using the superior range of the tesla coil to decimate enemy turrets without allowing them to even damage the tesla coil. Using v2s to hit AAs/turrets/powerplants and then falling back well they reload and using the maneuverability of yaks to get around the AA guns and hit the artillery.

Also when basewalking against allies I keep a decent amount of reserve power in the back of my base and one airfield in the back set as my primary structure and then use airfields rather than power plants to base walk back because they're much harder to kill and have the added bonus of speeding up yak production.

zinc

Post by zinc »

The reason I say it's a "smaller map" issue, is because I doubt it would be the same situation on a large map. With a large map, trying to rush another player a fair distance away with artie, even bringing an MCV with you along for the attack, would be a risky strategy. So the soviet side probably wouldn't have to deal with artillery until after they had more of a chance to tech up. And as I mentioned, you can iron curtain various units to deal with artie.

r34ch

Post by r34ch »

zinc wrote: The reason I say it's a "smaller map" issue, is because I doubt it would be the same situation on a large map. With a large map, trying to rush another player a fair distance away with artie, even bringing an MCV with you along for the attack, would be a risky strategy. So the soviet side probably wouldn't have to deal with artillery until after they had more of a chance to tech up. And as I mentioned, you can iron curtain various units to deal with artie.
I totally agree its a small map issue, even med sized. I just think the hind murders infantry, artys and v2s so rapidly in comparison to the yak. That alone is a massive advantage that could be mitigated with a Soviet scout heli.

If it was linked with the same logic as the kennel and barracks, meaning you couldn't build planes and helis at the same time, then it wouldn't affect mid to late game any more than yaks currently already do. It would simply fix small map issues.

Small maps and med maps still account for some of the most played maps I see online. Regardless if nothing changes, I think being at such a disadvantage so early in the game simply for playing a certain faction on a certain map really limits game-play.