Some features that I would like

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
noobmapmaker

Some features that I would like

Post by noobmapmaker »

Wasn't really sure where to place this, also becuase it is a mix of ideas.

1) An option to have a less intrusive startingscreen.
I like the startingscreen with all the action. But it can be somewhat intrusive and sometimes Im even a bit startled by the chronosphere sound. An option to have an other, less hectic, startingscreen would be nice.

2) An option to autoselect colors for teams
It would be nice to be able to autoselect colors for teams that are somewhat grouped together. E.g.: yellow+orange+red vs blue+green+purple or: light red+red+dark red vs light blue+blue+darkblue.
Its not a huge problem, but people from opposing teams sometimes got similar colors or a team has all kinds of weird colors.

3) For the Editor: an option to rotate stuff
This is probably a tough one.. it would be nice if you could rotate landpieces in the editor. This would greatly increase the diversity and possibilities.

4) See who's online in the Lobby
Would be nice to see who is online or how many players are online at the moment.

5) Random game.
Let the computer select a map + randomize the players. The admin can select teams or FFA. If this option is selected it'll require a bit more for players to find out what the map looks like and how to react, instead of people knowing the map and carrying out the same strategy.

SoScared

Re: Some features that I would like

Post by SoScared »

noobmapmaker wrote: 2) An option to autoselect colors for teams
It would be nice to be able to autoselect colors for teams that are somewhat grouped together. E.g.: yellow+orange+red vs blue+green+purple or: light red+red+dark red vs light blue+blue+darkblue.
Its not a huge problem, but people from opposing teams sometimes got similar colors or a team has all kinds of weird colors.
somewhat relevant: https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/7497
noobmapmaker wrote: 3) For the Editor: an option to rotate stuff
This is probably a tough one.. it would be nice if you could rotate landpieces in the editor. This would greatly increase the diversity and possibilities.
Almost all objects are drawn from a certain perspective (angle, shadow) so I think that would be problematic. Perhaps it could be more doable with "neutral" objects e.g. roads but even those often got small rocks and such on them that would expose this. Perhaps redrawing objects slightly could provide more variety. That would be great but I think requires lots of work and drawing skills.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

good comments, and yes the FoF colouring would be nice!

Also another Question about the game:

How can I make units stay in place? So often I found my artillery and rocket soldiers somewhere random after theyve been following an airplane that left long ago.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

If you go into hotkeys their should be a key binded to "change stances" - this changes the stance of the selected unit so that it is either attaking, returning fire, holding fire or defending; i prefer to have all my units on defend as they do not move around but still fire at units in range.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Also a nice feauture would be:

At the end of a skirmishgame or replay you must return to the main menu. If you could also return to the skirmish menu (with the same game ready) or to the replay menu, then that would save some clicking.

Not very important, but would be nice.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

And a mapgenerator!

There used to be one in the Red Alert game, if Im correct.

The user could slide different variables:
- amount of ore
- amount of water
- amount of ridges

Hmm maybe it was another game?

Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Tiberian Sun had one.

Red Alert, if I remember correctly, had the actual map editor only.

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

Red Alert 2 had a map generator as well.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Regarding the Map Editor:

- also show the ruler under and right of the map (currently only left and on top)

- some extra explanation of what the "cordon" means. Setting up a mapsize can be confusing if you dont know what the cordon is and why you should be able to determine the size of it. To be honest, I still dont know what it exactly is, I just fool around untill I get it right. Why not only ask for hight and width of the map?

- Ive mentioned rotating tiles before. One issue are the shadows that dont allow some tiles to turn as it would create impossible shadows. A good deal of the templates don't have shadows though. Allowing those to rotate (or add them rotated to the box with templates(optional?)) would allow much more diversity. (some could also be mirrored?)

- more bridge over river tiles are needed. Most of these cause lag. Unfortunatly a muddy transation over a river only exists in a small version. Wider versions would reduce lag a bit. Also a big bridge can only be built going from top right to down left. A bridge that goes from top left to low right cannot be built at the moment.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Some features that would come in handy to reduce micro:

- a "repair all buildings on screen" or even on the entire map
Does what it says. Any building you can repair (also ally) will start repairing in one go. The entire map would perhaps not be good as people will constantly be clicking it to make sure everything is full health.

- a way to let a group of units keep their formation when moving.
E.g. you place some rocketsoldiers in front, hinds on top and artillery in the back. Select them all and select "keep formation" when moving they will try to stay in the formation they had when selected.

- stay here and go no where, not even when a plane flew by
Glues units to the ground.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Also not very important, but not being able to return to the replay menu is a bit annoying.

Especially when youve watched a fun one and want to rename it so that others know its a good one. When I come back to the replay menu I cant recall which replay I just watched, Its hard to find it.

Having a "return to replay menu" option or a "rename replay" at the end of the game would be a helpfull feature to me.

Cthulhuu

Post by Cthulhuu »

Wow a map generator would be amazing. !!!

I also second for all the other ideas as well !

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

There was never an automatic map generator in RA95. In fact an automatic map generator for TD or RA would more than likely be an absolute nightmare to create and get working to a competent degree due to how the maps are built; all detailing when building a map for these games is always going to involve manual work because of the various tile shapes and sizes, and having to align the edges so that the artwork matches up. Nothing in the process is automated whatsoever, and trying to actually leave such stuff entirely to a machine would invariably result in ugly mismatching shit being spat out very often.