News over Faction on Playtest 2015

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

I was also thinking that even for stronger player it can be a shame that some units are not available for soms factions, where they used to be. One thing that I like about RA is that you can combine the strength of units. E.g.: transport flamethrowers in an APC, chronosphere an MCV and deploy, let tanya enter a ranger - etc.
If a unit is taken away from a faction, then it means that the faction has fewer possibilities to combine their units for a tactic, Just an example: if the APC is taken away from Ukraine, it cannot execute the flamthrower tactic.

If I am correct the idea was to allow more specializations. That can be fun, but possibly be more dull: "ok, so I am ukraine. Then I must be the bulldozerfaction in this game... that is what my units push me to be"

The effects I describe are may be not very present, or not present at all. Also I do not reject the idea of factions, just brainstorming. Over all we should playtest many many games and THEN give feedback. Unfortunatly the playtestlobby can be a bit quiet so I tend to stick to the old one.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

It has been posted before:

Lets expand the minelayerthingie from 3 mines to 5 mines? So few mines that require alot of micro is just not worth it.

And thats ashame becuase it would be really fun to lay them minefields and see the enemy lose half of their tanks.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

noobmapmaker wrote: It has been posted before:

Lets expand the minelayerthingie from 3 mines to 5 mines? So few mines that require alot of micro is just not worth it.

And thats ashame becuase it would be really fun to lay them minefields and see the enemy lose half of their tanks.
They wouldn't require any more micro that they do at the moment. Also, if your using mine layers you are using them in advance, not at the last moment so tbh I dont think it would be that useful as reloading them would still take longer, probably countering the increase in mines it can carry

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

It would require less micro as you can do more in 1 time, then send it back, do something else and then send the minelayer back to its task and lay some more mines. Right now it is empty so quick (leaving such a small minefield) that its not worth the time - imo.

Ashame because I think it adds strategy that no other unit can give: make parts of the map less accessable. Also it gives a real suprise: DAMN I THOUGHT I COULD ROLL INTO HIS BASE, gone are my APCs/V2s/Mammoths.

Or patch an enemies orefield with mines...

ok lets go for 4 mines then :)

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

If you use force-attack to define the minefield area the layer will automatically fill it (reloading itself as required). No micro is necessary.

newwe

Post by newwe »

Sleipnir wrote: If you use force-attack to define the minefield area the layer will automatically fill it (reloading itself as required). No micro is necessary.
I almost never see mine layers used so a buff seems like a good idea to me, but it could also be that no one knows about force attacking with them (I didn't until now) so thanks for sharing.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

just tried it and indeed, works great! With the force attack you can select an area and the mine layer will just go up and down untill the area is filled with death :D

Will use that more often and no buff required imo

Kencka_Plus

Feedback

Post by Kencka_Plus »

I think it's really weird to have "allied" and "soviet" factions still available now that country factions are featured in the game. It gives the impression they are neither soviet nor allied.

I liked the idea of every soviet faction having a unique parachute ability.
But still paratroops looks better. Maybe a buff should be given to the others.
As many are saying, I also think spy plane should be available to every soviet faction.

Now I have an idea for a unique unit, or maybe just a new mechanic for soviets overall.
What about command planes to purposely execute a suicidal strike? It's a nice power.

About allies. The abilities are pretty interesting. But I think they are way too strong.
Germany chronosphere is hilarious. I liked the idea, but 9x9 square sounds more fair.
Fake structures are cool and balanced. But I think it suits better in a country faction.

If you want to give a special unit to allies, why not Tanya? Maybe without quantity limit.
Aside from what I criticized and suggested, the changes are very interesting. Good job.