Dune 2000 - Beginners guide to all three AI bots

A general Harkonnen build order to easily beating all AIs

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Diablofire

Dune 2000 - Beginners guide to all three AI bots

Post by Diablofire »

This is my first post and I'd like to start by saying thank you for openRA -- It is something that I recently discovered and it is truly a gem!

So, if you're a beginner at Dune2k, you can try copying this build as practice vs the AI.

Blitzkrieg: Harkonnen vs Omnius/Vidius/Gladius AI
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Build Overview:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The AI is not exactly as good as players and is predictable. Therefore, this build is recommended against the AI (and maybe against newbie players) as a practice tool. The goal is to benchmark yourself and see how much you can improve with micro/macro play (micro: unit control / macro: unit/base building).

The build revolves around rushing for a Heavy Factory and getting 3 harvesters mining at 1 refinery. Once you have a barracks, you will rush towards getting infantry and an outpost. Once that is obtained, you will halt all infantry production and go straight into missile troopers.

You will have very low money throughout (which is a good thing: unspent money is wasted money) once you start producing tanks. This build basically works well due to the power of combat tanks vs trikes, grenadiers/infantry and quads. The rocket troopers are for support against any tanks that are thrown your way.

Build Order:
~~~~~~~~~~

windtrap
refinery
heavy factory
@heavy factory 100%: queue combat tanks (should be around 1:40)
refinery (sell when finished)
refinery (sell when finished)
windtrap
barracks
@barracks 100%: queue infantry
outpost
@outpost 100%: queue rocket troopers
windtrap
***situational from here on out
starport/hightech factory/light veh. factory etc.

Build Order - Building list:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heavy Factory
Barracks
Outpost
Starport

Refinery x 3
Windtrap x 3

Strategy:
~~~~~~~
1. Early Game:

Do not build any concrete
Expect a trike + infantry/grenadier rush (this is why heavy factory is built before 2nd refinery)
Your few, early tanks should be able to easily handle the rush. Remember to squish tightly grouped infantry (call a harvester to squish if necessary -- although it shouldn't be)

2. End Game:

Build up as much infantry + tanks as possible. Once the outpost finishes, only build rocket troopers + tanks ("blitzkrieg" units)
Start a counter-attack once rocket troopers start
Win game

Beginner Tips:
~~~~~~~~~~~
1.)Never stop building -- you're only putting yourself behind.
2.)Always spend your money as much as possible -- floating money is wasted money.
3.)Always have enough power -- low power means points 1+2 are not being fulfilled.
4.)Move back or completely remove low health tanks (unless it is safe from dying) from combat -- saving a unit and repairing > building a new one.
5.)Split your infantry -- less grouping = less squishing.

Hopefully this attracts a few folks to Dune2k and we can play some games together :).

Edit: added some general rts newbie tips + fixed typos
Edit2: fixed the build order + fixed a typo
Last edited by Diablofire on Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zypres1

Thanks

Post by zypres1 »

Interesting way to play.
Thanks...

Diablofire

Re: Thanks

Post by Diablofire »

zypres1 wrote: Interesting way to play.
Thanks...
I might make 3 replays later on, showing how it is done as well (just to make it more accessible). However, I think the build is rather simple and easily wipes the AI. Maybe I'll just think up some build order variants for Atreides & Ordos that also works well vs all 3 bots.

AoAGeneral

Post by AoAGeneral »

As Ordos:

Concrete small slab
Windtrap
Refinery
Light Factory
5 Raider Trikes
Refinery
Concrete small slab
Windtrap (By this time 5 Raider Trikes should be ready. Go on the attack)
Heavy Factory (Make sure to keep Raider Trikes alive)
3 harvesters

-----

My order goes longer then this for more combat tanks and progressivly going in the tech. This is a very strong Ordos build that currently works in both release and the beta version. With the Raider Trikes increased damage vs the other Trikes itll wipe anything out very easily (Even other tanks if your careful. Though vs the AI they dont build to fast.)

Its also a good way to get early scouting done to see what the AI is doing.

Viable build for both AI and in VS mode.