Idea: What if medic infantry carried guns?

Stop The Suicidal Medic

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
SoScared

Idea: What if medic infantry carried guns?

Post by SoScared »

This just occurred to me - avoid wandering your medics in front of your army to die: Imagine the medic carrying a rifle or whatever with equal fire range as your rifle infantry. When attacking it fires at the enemy within it's range together with it's squad and heal nearby infantry when resting. OP? NP. I'm sure the unit could easily be nerfed like cost, healing rate, etc.

Wouldn't this be a great alternative to programming medic behavior?

Besides, real life medics carry guns anyway :)

YuriMolina

Post by YuriMolina »

I think in original C&C RA. you can define it at rules.ini. without problem.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

YuriMolina wrote: I think in original C&C RA. you can define it at rules.ini. without problem.
I'm afraid that's not the case as OpenRa uses the Weapons system for the medics' heal. I've been playing about with these things recently (creating a mod with an upgrade system integrated). Ill have another look but i assume that trying what you have suggested will make it so that medics fire upon a target and then heal it.
SoScared wrote: This just occurred to me - avoid wandering your medics in front of your army to die: Imagine the medic carrying a rifle or whatever with equal fire range as your rifle infantry. When attacking it fires at the enemy within it's range together with it's squad and heal nearby infantry when resting. OP? NP. I'm sure the unit could easily be nerfed like cost, healing rate, etc.

Wouldn't this be a great alternative to programming medic behavior?

Besides, real life medics carry guns anyway :)
Whilst i do agree that medics should carry guns i think they would have to carry something like a pistol; otherwise you could basically have an army which could only be taken out by 1-hit kills.

zoidyberg

Post by zoidyberg »

Can we rename the medic "Hawkeye" from M.A.S.H. and have some fun with one-liners?

:)

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Medics? Armed?

"omg imba as fuck!"

Leave 'em as they are.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

BaronOfStuff wrote: Medics? Armed?

"omg imba as fuck!"

Leave 'em as they are.
The point is just to keep the unit within the squad. Increase the price, build time, give it a BB gun, whatever just make it usable without too much hassle.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Seems like a good idea. Anoher option is to make medics "guard" an infantry? (not sure if that works, and the gun solution seems better).

In fact, increase range by 10% so they stay beind a bit more.
But.... will they then be shooting when the should be healing?