You need to allow us to powersnake/base-walk with a toggle

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

I don't think JOo was directly insulting anyone (feel free to post actual evidence to the contrary), but merely stating that constantly screwing with the fundamental balance just to appease whoever shows up next and barks loudest is a bad way to carry a project forward.
Hoj wrote: I could just as easily say build radius is for noobs who can't handle playing the game as it was intended, but I don't as that has no relevance to the discussion.
Woah, slow down there. I don't think basewalking was ever intended as a dominant strategy when WW made C&C games. It just developed in RA95 because of stupid maps like Rashowdown and custom rules providing infinite resources.

JOo

Post by JOo »

Hoj wrote: JOo started it by calling us 5 new noobs. We aren't new to RA, we have played it since the old days and play openRA a lot too - there's really no need to insult us. All we wanted to do was suggest a toggle for build radius...?

I could just as easily say build radius is for noobs who can't handle playing the game as it was intended, but I don't as that has no relevance to the discussion.
this was not an insult ... it was my answer to :
Speedy wrote: Feels kinda like a 'we could make a group of (potential new) players happy ...
speedy said , "we could make "potential new" players happy"... and i do not like the idea to change openra for every newcomer ... to make them happy ...

with "5 New Noobs" ... i did mean a "Group" ... i didnt know you guys are specific 5 players , and i dont even know any of the names youve listed
if you guys are not "new players" ... then theres no need to feel guilty being noobs
AoAGeneral wrote: Or the game just isnt fun to play that way. As these players have expressed. Which means you clearly missed the point of the replies to this thread. GG.
By the way, coming off strong like this doesnt show your expertise. It shows quite the opposite. Instead of calling out, try making examples.
I agree.
thezoidberg wrote: I've always seen OpenRA existing for the purpose of improving upon the original Red Alert. They dev guys have done a great job of forcing players to come up with coordinated tactics and strategies to win. Enabling players to disable those changes defeats the purpose of playing OpenRA. It'll also create confusion among players because gameplay could change from game to game...
good point !

thezoidberg

Post by thezoidberg »

At some point in the past, the lack of a build radius caused enough uproar and complaints that the developers took action. Precedent was set - powersnaking is out. Unless an overwhelming majority of players want to see the build radius come back, I doubt the dev guys are going to bother backtracking. They have limited time/resources and there are a ton of competing priorities out there.

If you're interested in some debate, let's talk about new units(cargo planes?) or enhancements to gameplay (increased firing radius while on hills?).

JOo

Post by JOo »

buildradius [on/off] will probably just split the players ... and i think thats not a good idea ...

im not completly against toggle-settings/options ... but at some degree we should keep the rules for the main-mods straight , otherwise we would end up with something that isnt defined as a "Game" ... only as a "Tool" and nothing else ...

there is basicly nobody ingame who dislikes the build-radius ... people allready got used to it ... i know that because im playing daily on public servers ... fact is , they do want even more protection against baswalks ... because its still possible to basewalk "with" the radius

zinc

Post by zinc »

thezoidberg wrote: If you're interested in some debate, let's talk about new units(cargo planes?)
hovercraft haven't been done. They could travel over both land and sea!

zinc

Post by zinc »

JOo wrote: fact is , they do want even more protection against baswalks ... because its still possible to basewalk "with" the radius
I like how it is now.

But you could have options:

(1) Limit the number of MCVs that you can have at any one time.
(2) Limit the base to within a certain area of the map. So one player can only build within their half of the map.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Or restrict the build radius so that other MCV's can't deploy within it.

Really though, given how much effort has to go into a successful basewalk with the current settings/radius, I don't think limiting it further is really necessary. It's still a risky investment.

folkilsk

Post by folkilsk »

If you really want to make open ra amazing, add the rat tank unit from the blitzkrieg map and make them one shot every other unit/building. Make them cost 20,000 tibs, though

epice

Post by epice »

Because we want to keep things consistent.

folkilsk

Post by folkilsk »

epicelite wrote: Because we want to keep things consistent.
the only way to make ra consistent is adding a 1 shot 1 kill rat tank....that would make it consistently awesome.