How to fix Infantry unit size in OpenRA

Red Alert mod

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Aner1181

How to fix Infantry unit size in OpenRA

Post by Aner1181 »

Hi everybody,

Somebody knows how to fix an infantry unit size in Red Alert mode? For example in C&C Tiberian Down unit size is proper (look at screenshot). Any solutions???
Attachments
Units in C&C and OpenRA modes
Units in C&C and OpenRA modes
ubnormai_size.png (54.28 KiB) Viewed 15755 times

geno

Post by geno »

iirc isn't the model for light tanks actually bigger in CnC Tib Dawn???

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

geno wrote: iirc isn't the model for light tanks actually bigger in CnC Tib Dawn???
No, only the turret is bigger (same goes for the Medium Tank).

There are SHP/MIX files out there from the original game which uses the correct-sized infantry, however. The ugly, poorly-upscaled versions were only introduced because the higher resolution brought in by the Win95 version of RA made infantry look 'too small', apparently.

Try this:
http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php ... ew;down=12

Edit:
Of course this means that the new units not found in the original game won't be resized, unfortunately.

Aner1181

Post by Aner1181 »

Thanks to BaronOfStuff we have the solution. Just download and extract files from archive to mods/ra/bits directory.

It's looks proper and amazing! :lol:
Attachments
Openra_SmallInf.zip
(231.49 KiB) Downloaded 457 times

shadics

Post by shadics »

the new infantery is great!! but the only problem, is the sniper still looks bigger than the other soldiers xD

Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Nrgh, my spriter's heart aches at seeing that difference. I'd love to edit that properly.

Maybe I should look into it... I bet if all the infantry are the correct size, that it might actually get rolled out in the official OpenRA release, haha.

klaas

Post by klaas »

I like the bigger infantry, it makes it easier to recognize what is what for old guys like me.

Aner1181

Post by Aner1181 »

Speedy, klaas
It is will be much far to make an option to change unit size, for people who like big (bug) sized units.

The question is where to find proper sniper unit? We need somebody who can manage OpenRA resource editor... :\

Speedy

Post by Speedy »

aneyrin wrote: Speedy, klaas
It is will be much far to make an option to change unit size, for people who like big (bug) sized units.
Er, pardon, but.. I have literally no idea what you're trying to say here.
aneyrin wrote: The question is where to find proper sniper unit? We need somebody who can manage OpenRA resource editor... :\
That's why I said my spriter's heart ached.. If I have the original file and the ability to edit it in, I'd try my hand at manually recreatign it based on the original file.

Though, in all honesty, I think it can be fixed by simply scaling them down... but I can't really test it with zero tools or knowledge. ^_^;

Devastator

Post by Devastator »

So will it be fixed anytime soon? It's the only complaint I have.

zinc

Post by zinc »

Devastator wrote: So will it be fixed anytime soon? It's the only complaint I have.
There are particular maps where the infantry has been made small.

Personally I am used to the bigger infantry and happy with it.

Aner1181

Post by Aner1181 »

shadics

Fixed sized sniper unit in attachment. Not ideal, but looks much better. Does anybody knows where I can get some unit dev manual for OpenRa?
Attachments
sniper.shp
Proper sized sniper unit
(46.39 KiB) Downloaded 352 times

JOo

Post by JOo »

im not sure about this here ...
but it doesnt matter anyway .. sniper got removed with the new playtests , some of the devs try to make the "shock trooper" take his role

Devastator

Post by Devastator »

JOo wrote: im not sure about this here ...
but it doesnt matter anyway .. sniper got removed with the new playtests , some of the devs try to make the "shock trooper" take his role

I liked the Sniper :(

Nukem

Post by Nukem »

Sniper unit was created manually using the SHOK unit as a template for the animation frames, simply scaling the unit down %50 or so won't give desired results without it looking funny like how JOo had suggested, you'd have to manually re-size the unit for it to look correct.