As an old Red Alert player and a new OpenRA player...

Some feedback

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
JoakimCh

As an old Red Alert player and a new OpenRA player...

Post by JoakimCh »

As an old Red Alert player and a new OpenRA player here is some of my thoughts:

1. I think the artillery tanks shoot too far, I think they gives the allied an unfair advantage. I have not fully compared them with the Russian rocket tank, but if both shoot that far I think they should be adjusted to shoot shorter distances.

2. My tanks and soldiers will start following the enemy and drive/walk far away. Especially this is annoying with airplanes and rocket soldiers following them back to base. This need to be tuned down or give the player an option to halt their units (make them stand still until a new order even if attacked). When they start driving towards the attacker they are almost always more vulnerable. :/

3. If I have medics (or engineers) in my attack unit and attack something, instead of staying behind to heal the soldiers they walk nearer than all the others like they are trying to do a bloody melee attack and will get shot down very fast. This makes the medic not really function properly since they are the first to be killed.

About number 2... I think that units set to not follow the enemy could have a little red dot near them so I can easily see when it is switched on or not and then let us switch it on or off (and not have it automatically switch of with a new command). And also this is not to be confused with not shooting at the enemy or not, even if they are halted they need to be able to automatically target and shoot at the enemy.

4. I also miss the old feature allowing me to shoot at anything. I could for example use it to shoot at barrels and causing a chain explosion.

5. I want more options for what is allowed in the game or not. Like a "no nukes" checkbox and checkboxes for air and sea units. The "tech level" menu is not really telling me much about what it disables... And I want more control anyway!

6. I love this game! It is so nice to see people remaking one of the greatest games making it open source for everybody to participate and enjoy! I have now started to play this a lot with my family which for many years ago also competed with me in the original Red Alert. :) And since I'm a developer myself I might eventually start hacking away at it (but .NET is new for me).

Unit158

Post by Unit158 »

The artillery is fair, as it is the only really firepower the allies have other than the cruisers, hinds and rocket troops. I can usually take it out with a little bit of micro :)

To shoot at anything, you use CTRL+right click to force fire. ALT+right click is move. Like in the originals.

As for controlling stuff like no nukes or changing the available units, this idea has already decided that it is better to keep nukes on, as they are vital balancing components.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

For 2 and 3 you can change the unit stance to disable the following behaviour (z key in the current release, but all the hotkeys have changed for the next release). The visual feedback for individual unit stances is currently poor (more like nonexistant), which is tracked by #3437.

Prince Blueblood

Post by Prince Blueblood »

Btw, I agree that artilleries is somewhat op, it's not their range, but their damage. They fire faster than V2, but do almost same damage...

zinc

Post by zinc »

Prince Blueblood wrote: Btw, I agree that artilleries is somewhat op, it's not their range, but their damage. They fire faster than V2, but do almost same damage...

They are easily destroyed however. Soviet side can use suicide planes or V2 against them. Or maybe tanks with iron curtain.

If you get the defence set up right for them, then yes, artie is powerful.

I think the power is about right. Maybe the V2 should have a little bit more range? (I think they are about the same now?) Or slightly faster reload?

Matt

Post by Matt »

Damage per second is a lot lower for V2 compared to artillery https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/6 ... t-56727136 but you can micro manage the reload time and kill power plants with 2 coordinated shots, refineries I think with 3. My calculations might also not take splash damage into account which is probably higher for V2.

Heerser

Red Alert improvement tips

Post by Heerser »

Indeed there is a lot that needs to be looked at.

About the Artillery. Someone said use V2 Launcher or suicide plane. But no. I measured it up and V2 only has 3/5 range of the Artillery. Plus are very vulnerable. So you can't just walk into the shroud to see where the Artillery is. If they are surrounded by pillboxes, AA gun, whatever, even your scout units will be dead before they can even spot them.

Why are Spies now the same as Thieves?? Isn't it better to give the spies abilities as in RA2? As in: go in power plant, shut down power for a few sec, take over radar, shut down radar, take over war factory, +1 veterancy level for tanks, take over baracks, +1 veterancy level for infantry, superweapon reset, and so forth...

Where are the burning trees? You used to be able to torch down trees if you fired only long enough upon them.

I want control plus alt as a guard move!!! For instance to protect Harvesters.

Supply Depots are kinda glitchy sometimes. Units get stuck there and que up in a line or something. If you send a group of say 6 units or so, or send in tanks mixed with infantry.

AI often doesnt expand to locations once they run out of ore. So most of the time a skirmish is a war of attrition. Basically hold them off until they run out of ore from their main orefield. Also if you create 2 or more AI to fight you.

Also is it really necessary to need a supply depot as perequisite to make Medium Tank and Heavy Tank? Definitely slows down the game (these units used to be the bread and butter of the respective sides).

Very important! The game resets the options you make in the skirmish menu. Such as cash, if I set it from 5000 to 10000 or 20000, next game the 5000 is default again, as it the MCV start with light or heavy support... I like support by default as waiting for your first Refinery and War Factory is just so boring without support units. But always have to go to the menu to change this.

I love the Flamethrowers you have made in Red Alert. Can you apply this flame-throwing please also to C&C? Thanks! Would make those units so much more useful as they tend to take damage from their own flames and from the explosions of the buildings they burn down and whatnot.

Prince Blueblood

Post by Prince Blueblood »

and speaking of which, due to force-fire features, the artillery rushes are commonly helped by blind firing on the general direction of enemy base / last known and predicted enemy positions.

and well, I'm sorry to said this, but to counter this, you need to have either artilleries on your own (and mentally do the guesswork of trajectories back to the arty). Indeed, late game GPS and mammoth tanks counter them really hard, but well, there's something on why they are named artillery rush... ;)

I want to suggest that this could be easily fixed by moving artilleries further back and made then more expensive (around $1300), to the point they need battle lab to be built like prism tanks in RA2. Let V2 keep their current stats because they're quite easy to counter with apc to tank for your infantry to finish them off.