Rules of Engagement?

In response to tactics that make OpenRA un-enjoyable....

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
zypres1

Post by zypres1 »

why do we allow users to have color that hides units on minimap/gps targets on screen?

My idea: https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/5873

would not solve it, but help a little..

thezoidberg

Post by thezoidberg »

Chrono'ing multiple MCVs into an enemy's base should be added to the list. Unless somebody can offer a way to defend against it, it shouldn't be allowed. :-)

Hiro

Post by Hiro »

That sounds like a very slow expensive attack. Easiest way to "defend" against it is probably just to not let them get away with building 4 MCVs (and have money for defensive structures to pop up) while you're building attacking units...

thezoidberg

Post by thezoidberg »

Quite the contrary. I played a game yesterday against a team who set out to chrono multiple MCVs ASAP. It was an extremely well coordinated effort.

- Player A put a Chono up asap
- Player B put out MCVs
- Player C cranked out units

Each of the three players had structures & units queued up to deploy the moment the MCVs arrived in the rear of my team's base. You could repeat this formula in every game and rarely lose. 0_0

Matt

Post by Matt »

The simplest fix would be to remove https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/T ... oshiftable from MCV.

thezoidberg

Post by thezoidberg »

Interesting. How does one convince the OpenRA developers to implement a change? Is there a voting process? A petition?

Zoidberg

PersianImmortal

Post by PersianImmortal »

thezoidberg wrote: Chrono'ing multiple MCVs into an enemy's base should be added to the list. Unless somebody can offer a way to defend against it, it shouldn't be allowed. :-)
It's a high risk high reward tactic. If you manage to stop it they're at a huge disadvantage economically and that's usually game. It's beatable if your team is made aware of the mcv appearing and coordinates efforts to stop it.
I don't think it should be banned tbh.

Matt

Post by Matt »

thezoidberg wrote: Interesting. How does one convince the OpenRA developers to implement a change? Is there a voting process? A petition?
You send a patch via https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pulls and it gets accepted or rejected. Balancing or changes to the Red Alert mod are usually controversial so there will probably lot's of opinions.

zinc

Post by zinc »

Using chrono and iron curtain on mad tanks I think is suspect.

It's pretty much the same as chrono on demo trucks, which isn't allowed.

Evolved

Post by Evolved »

The way I see it, rather than moan about certain players tactics shouldn't you just practise a way of defending it? In the long run it will only make you a better player and tbh I can almost guarantee after seeing a successful tactic you'd be inclined to try it yourself.

-Jes-

Post by -Jes- »

Well obviously, the biggest issue with the MCV Chrono tactic is that you're allowing them to tech that far:
Proc-Weap-Dome-Tek-Chrono
Proc-Weap-Fix-MCV,MCV,MCV

You should already be overrunning their bases at the Dome/Fix point.
And one player massing units SHOULD NOT be able to hold back three, if he is then you're doing it wrong!

That said, I personally believe the MCV could use a price increase. 2000 is already lower than RA1's original 2500.

MAD tanks of course should follow the same logic as demo trucks.

Prince Blueblood

Post by Prince Blueblood »

-Jes- wrote: That said, I personally believe the MCV could use a price increase. 2000 is already lower than RA1's original 2500.
I also in favour of raising MCV price to 3000 or 3500 (like in Tiberium Wars), and yes, I'm quite aware that this will change my own habit of building second and third MCVs for expansions lol. :D

Matt

Post by Matt »

zypres1 wrote: why do we allow users to have color that hides units on minimap/gps targets on screen?
We now forbid it with a new lobby check https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/6239

Prince Blueblood

Post by Prince Blueblood »

Cmd. Matt wrote:
zypres1 wrote: why do we allow users to have color that hides units on minimap/gps targets on screen?
We now forbid it with a new lobby check https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/6239
excellent then :D no more green coloured players popping out from behind lol