What the hell are the AI difficulty levels?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr

What the hell are the AI difficulty levels?

Post by DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr »

Ominus AI? Vidious? Gladius?

All these cool sounding words mean nothing to me. Yes, I could google them, but, come on dudes.

Could you please call them what they represent with normal simple words? Like Easy, Normal, and Hard?

No offense, your creativity is great. It is just kinda fucken annoying man.

Or, how about adding tooltips? So when you hover your cursor over these fancy words, an explanation pops up telling you how hard the AI actually is in laymen's terms?

Phrohdoh

Post by Phrohdoh »

This is the exact reason I was against these name changes but the majority was for them.
I can't quite answer as I don't think they are 'easy', 'medium', 'hard'.
I believe they're just different styles (see TD's bots also).

-Jes-

Post by -Jes- »

They never were true difficulty levels, only differing build priorities and squad sizes.

Those that were labelled as 'easy' in the past usually had the smallest squad size values,
which ironically made them much more difficult to fight than the 'hard' labelled ones.

And so they were renamed for clarity.

Matt

Post by Matt »

We don't really have a switch to throttle the AI. They are all brutal. There have already been complains about that as they bash newbies pretty hard.

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr

Holy shit really? I thought they were dead easy.

I just tried with C&C1 default included mod with OpenRA, had a 8 player map called "Pressure", me and 7 AIs all set to HAL 9001 (according to recent changelog that is the "hard" one), starting forces on setup, 5 grand starting cash, 2v2v2v2:

I repelled the attack from the nearest enemy, then killed all defenders of said enemy's base and captured their CY, and then I proceeded to hunt down the rest of that team, plus the other two (me and one AI [set to HAL 9001] against 3 teams of two AIs each), while defending my real base and my AI team mate.

Easy as fuck. Now I gotta try OpenRA. I tried D2K, but with 8 AIs plus me, the game crashed half way through the match. I posted it's "exception" to your good logic in an other thread.

Matt

Post by Matt »

The AI plays efficient in terms of ongoing production, but not very smart. It is only a challenge to real newbies who have trouble getting their economy going, keeping the factory queues filled and are not familiar with the buildings/units in general. However, I believe the new single-player missions fill that gap as they have a low learning curve.

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr

OK but what the hell are they?

What is Ominus, Gladius, Vidius?

AoAGeneral

Post by AoAGeneral »

I will find out for you tonight when I do a game vs all three. Then I will watch the replay.

FYI: Im rather greatfull the devs are working on this project. Otherwise this wouldnt exist.

But thats probably just me as I like to compete vs other people.

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr

Aye same here, its fun.

You know what would be cool, have tooltips appear that explain the type of AI.

But yeah, this is an interesting project with all kinds of new logic the freedom to add way more stuff than you could in the original games.

My only main issue with OpenRA is it can get pretty laggy with 12 AIs XD.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Cmd. Matt wrote: The AI plays efficient in terms of ongoing production, but not very smart.
The way the attack teams will often just fool around re-organising themselves every time they're attacked doesn't help much. They're also pretty terrible at actually attacking; often the AI will send a team out and just have them sit outside an enemy base perimeter.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Have a look at the configuration of the Dune 2000 bots at https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/blob/b ... es/ai.yaml They may require tweaks. The naming is inspired by the original Dune lore: http://dune.wikia.com/wiki/Omnius