chronosphere enemy units, bug or not ?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
GeneralFrost

chronosphere enemy units, bug or not ?

Post by GeneralFrost »

Last 2 vs. 2 I played, some of our enemies used a very interesting tactic:

build lots of turrets in one place
chronosphere enemy units (our units) to this place (he probably found them with GPS satellite)

Took me a while until I realized what is going on.

One time I managed to put an iron curtain on them when he chroned them.. so his tactic backfired :)

we lost the match anyways.

but my question now ? is this intentional, or a bug ?

Scott_NZ

Post by Scott_NZ »

Intentional

Speedy

Post by Speedy »

You've always been able to use the Chronosphere to teleport enemy units.

Red Alert 2 and 3 even go as far as making you able to teleport land units onto water, with a neat animation where they SINK.

epice

Post by epice »

Speedy wrote: Red Alert 2 and 3 even go as far as making you able to teleport land units onto water, with a neat animation where they SINK.
I never knew this!

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Speedy wrote: You've always been able to use the Chronosphere to teleport enemy units.
Nope, not in RA95. You can shift your units, and any ally units, but that's all.

Speedy

Post by Speedy »

..you are right. I went back and tested it.

Another difference is that you could also only teleport a SINGLE unit, from what I gathered.

..and, unrelated, vehicles explode when they touch water after teleportation.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Speedy wrote: ..you are right. I went back and tested it.

Another difference is that you could also only teleport a SINGLE unit, from what I gathered.
Yep, the Chronosphere in general wasn't a well-thought out feature in the original game. Outside of mission scenarios and very specific uses in MP (e.g surprise Cruiser appearance in a pond or shoving an MCV in the opposite corner for a secret second base) it's not worth much.
Speedy wrote: ..and, unrelated, vehicles explode when they touch water after teleportation.
Try moving them into a Transport, then move the Transport away at the last second. Ridiculous yet amusing explosions.

Speedy

Post by Speedy »

BaronOfStuff wrote:
Speedy wrote: ..and, unrelated, vehicles explode when they touch water after teleportation.
Try moving them into a Transport, then move the Transport away at the last second. Ridiculous yet amusing explosions.
..now I'm secretly hoping OpenRA also has this.. cause it's easier to test it there. XD

zinc

Post by zinc »

Doesn't seem to work on ore harvesters. But there is a display bug when you try...

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

It's not worth trying to use the Chronoshift on units that are constantly moving (such as Ore Trucks); in OpenRA you're technically selecting a patch of terrain and affecting any units within (rather than actually selecting units to shift), and the contents of this patch is being updated in real-time.

This Chronosphere/shift behaviour is unique to OpenRA, or at least certainly wasn't present in RA95 (or RA2 from what I remember).

Hiro

Post by Hiro »

zinc wrote: Doesn't seem to work on ore harvesters. But there is a display bug when you try...
Is there a bug report of this? A dev should probably look into it.

[EDIT] I let the guys on IRC know. We'll see if anything comes of it. :)

zinc

Post by zinc »

Hiro wrote:
zinc wrote: Doesn't seem to work on ore harvesters. But there is a display bug when you try...
Is there a bug report of this? A dev should probably look into it.

[EDIT] I let the guys on IRC know. We'll see if anything comes of it. :)
My mistake. I don't think it's a display bug now, but intentional probably?

You can chrono ore trucks, but you need to get the timing right when they are moving. So you need to wait until they come back over the same patch. What I thought was a "display bug" helps you to do it.

zinc

Post by zinc »

Presumably you can chrono an enemy lorry bomb and set it off?

zinc

Post by zinc »

BaronOfStuff wrote: It's not worth trying to use the Chronoshift on units that are constantly moving (such as Ore Trucks); in OpenRA you're technically selecting a patch of terrain and affecting any units within (rather than actually selecting units to shift), and the contents of this patch is being updated in real-time.

This Chronosphere/shift behaviour is unique to OpenRA, or at least certainly wasn't present in RA95 (or RA2 from what I remember).

I destroyed someone's ore truck when I recently tried it. It can be done... You just need to predict where the enemy will move to, or move back to.

Hiro

Post by Hiro »

zinc wrote: Presumably you can chrono an enemy lorry bomb and set it off?
This could possibly actually be worthy of calling a bug if it works. Makes demo trucks even worse than they already are lol.
Likewise with using it on enemy harvesters if it kills them; that just seems a little cheap to me at least.