TiberiumDawnisBetter

TiberiumDawnisBetter

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
TiberiumDawnisBetter

TiberiumDawnisBetter

Post by TiberiumDawnisBetter »

TiberiumDawnisBetter, Join Tiberium dawn server, its empty

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

It's "Tiberian", you fool.

TiberiumDawnisBetter

Post by TiberiumDawnisBetter »

BaronOfStuff wrote: It's "Tiberian", you fool.
lol actually when I was typing the name I was like Tiberian...no thats not right it must be tiberium, should of kept the first one. nobody plays TD just trying to get the word out there.

Matt

Post by Matt »

I posted a lot of propaganda videos on our social media sites to spread the word.

-Jes-

Post by -Jes- »

Red Alert is unfortunaly the only mod that gets any real attention:

Not only did Red Alert (the game) get more attention due to it riding on the success of TiberiAN Dawn (retconned name anyway),
but it was also Windows-native as opposed to the former game, with a much bigger emphasis on multiplayer.

There's a reason it's called OpenRA, not openCNC. ;D

It doesn't help a lot of people can barely make the effort to open the mod menu and see it's not JUST a remake of Red Alert that they'ved downloaded.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

-Jes- wrote: Red Alert is unfortunaly the only mod that gets any real attention:
The recent IRC channel activity has been full of people organizing TD games, but relatively few of RA. A lot of the recent game casting has also been with TD. I think those both qualify as "real attention" :)
-Jes- wrote: There's a reason it's called OpenRA, not openCNC. ;D
Indeed, but it probably isn't the reason you are thinking. It is a pain to rename a project, so we instead redefined our terminology: OpenRA (one word) is the engine, which has multiple mods - one of these is "Red Alert". OpenRA has not meant "Open Red Alert" for several years now.

mysterhay

Post by mysterhay »

Personally I think it's about whichever game you played first... I prefer the units and identities in TD.

Anyway back on point, love what the mod has done, but feel it's made a bit of a mess of TD. (More competitive perhaps but less... TD)

Big sticking point for me is what's been done with artillery/mrls/ssm. The SSM was the one unit you could never get in the missions, no matter how much you played. I think it was a mistake to remove it (the sam is a different unit with the same skin). Also I think that the obelisk should outrange everything but the SSM. GDI don't need to have a unit that outranges the obelisk, they were meant to be the unstoppable steamroller style force in the campaign.

Basically I really think that the game should be moved more in the direction of the original -

1) Reduce artillery/mrls ranges back to where they were (about advanced guard tower range)
2) Remove guard tower for NOD and turret for GDI (I know there is interpretation from the FMVs and balance about this but from the point of view of playing the game it should be as the original)
3) Change SSM back to being a slow, vulnerable, out-range-everything unit.

Anyway these are all my opinions but I have a hunch that others will be playing for the same reminiscent reasoning. Personally, I'd love it if TD OpenRA moved as a whole in this direction but also have a feeling this will end up as an afternoon's project myself with the YAML files, which don't look like they take a brain surgeon to work out.